Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Cybertruck Updates Coming Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla plans to reveal an updated design for the Cybertruck in “a month or so,” Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

Tesla has been giving consideration to the Cybertruck’s hulking proportions, which could prevent the wildly-styled, bulletproof, pickup from fitting into the average suburban garage.

So, there’s a chance the truck could shrink slightly all around. Or, maybe not. Musk seems reluctant to change much, but says the new design is better, featuring many minor tweaks.

“Even the small details matter,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla has more than half a million reservations for the truck, so it will be interesting to hear reactions from consumers who have already shown intent to purchase the Cybertruck.

Tesla plans to build the vehicle at a new factory in Texas, which is currently under construction. The first examples of the the production Cybertruck are expected to roll off the line late next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are way ahead of both of them. Tesla will be ready for selling vehicles in under a year from now. The others won't. They don't need to hype the cybertruck with new information until they are ready to have final configurations. With likely new model s and x details coming in the next week or so we won't need cybertruck hype for a few months.

GM's premium Hummer EV is going to be released fall of 2021 according to their website, and GM can actually make that date - unlike Tesla. If GM gets it out before Tesla, they will feel it.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: heems and LionXng
I hope you’re right. But, my guess is that they’ve discovered that, like building semis, building trucks is a little more difficult than building cars.

The semi needs a lot more work than the truck. Its got a lot more battery, charging infrastructure requirements are massively different. And last I read, it was delayed due to battery availability.

The CT by comparison is just a different body shell with the standard powertrain they use on all their other vehicles. The only big difference is the frame/exterior.

In addition to Fremont limited production of 4680 cells, it sounds like Panasonic has also started development of 4680:

(Panasonic President) Tsuga talked everything Tesla, but arguably the most important exchange was related to 4680 battery cells. He officially confirmed that Panasonic is already developing the Tesla-designed cells. Tsuga shared via Teslarati:

“We have begun development of a new automotive battery, the 4680, for Tesla in the United States. The electrode structure is difficult because of its high capacity. The electrode structure is difficult because of its large capacity. We will make prototypes in Japan and establish a manufacturing method. High reliability is one of our strengths. There is no concern that Tesla will become a competitor (although Tesla is promoting in-house production of the battery).”

https://insideevs.com/news/464582/tesla-4680-battery-cell-production-panasonic/#:~:text=Well%2C%20that%20was%20certainly%20fast,produced%20and%20put%20into%20cars

There was also talk of LG Chem producing 4680 cells.

I think with all the recent buzz with massive battery breakthroughs, it will be a while before we get an update. Not to mention Elon won't release an update until the US changes the laws on side view cameras in lieu of mirrors.

For the US, manufacturers are required by law to ship cars with mirrors, however it is not illegal for owners to remove the mirrors. It’s not illegal to have no mirrors. Only that your supposed to have them when taking delivery.

Reactions: Proflig8tor
For the US, manufacturers are required by law to ship cars with mirrors, however it is not illegal for owners to remove the mirrors. It’s not illegal to have no mirrors. Only that your supposed to have them when taking delivery.

The real question is whether or not your insurance company would continue to insure your car (especially for liability) if you remove the mirrors.

The real question is whether or not your insurance company would continue to insure your car (especially for liability) if you remove the mirrors.

Once you take delivery and drive off, insurance companies have no knowledge of what you do to your car until you get into an accident. I can remove my mirrors on my my Model X and my insurance company would have no idea. They have no visible knowledge of what you vehicle looks like outside the VIN.

Seems like other manufacturers are putting out more information - Ford with their F150 which is still over a year away (sounds like the cybertruck will be as late as them as well..) Rivian of course.. already testing on the roads all over the world and selling in Summer. I dont see a configurator even for the CT.