Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Cybertruck Will Have Removable Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

They weren’t present on the prototype, but it seems the production version of the Cybertruck will have side mirrors. Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted Tuesday that the upcoming all-electric Tesla pickup will include mirrors, but they will be removable.

Recently, the Tesla Cybertruck was spotted in the wild featuring side mirrors. After the sighting, Elon Musk noted that Cybertruck owners could remove the mirrors easily if they wanted.

“They’re required by law, but designed to be easy to remove by owners,” Musk said on Twitter.

Instead of conventional rearview mirrors, the prototype teased a camera-based system that will deliver rear views to the truck’s dashboard display. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has been petitioned to consider the use of cameras as replacements for mirrors. The issue is currently under review by the agency.

The Cybertruck was supposed to launch this year, but it has been delayed to late 2022. Perhaps, regulations will change by the time the truck hits the roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good compromise to expedite production and delivery - once less thing (changing the law) to worry about causing a delay. Perhaps a retrofit when the law changes?

Also good for those with long trailers - perhaps we'll see extended side mirrors for that use-case.
1634740387442.jpeg

Reactions: Ogre
Great solution.

Relevant federal law requiring rear visibility is 49 CFR § 571.111 - Standard No. 111; Rear visibility.

This requires the manufacturer to install side mirrors on the vehicle. Notably (correct me if I'm wrong), many/most/all states do not prohibit the owner from removing them.

Of interest, the law goes into great detail about "backup cameras", and as phrased lays out a template which Tesla can lobby to duplicate for augmenting/replacing side mirrors.

Reactions: IdaX
Great solution.

Relevant federal law requiring rear visibility is 49 CFR § 571.111 - Standard No. 111; Rear visibility.

This requires the manufacturer to install side mirrors on the vehicle. Notably (correct me if I'm wrong), many/most/all states do not prohibit the owner from removing them.

Of interest, the law goes into great detail about "backup cameras", and as phrased lays out a template which Tesla can lobby to duplicate for augmenting/replacing side mirrors.
I think if not Federal law, most states most certainly _would_ prohibit removal. Laws require side mirrors (not rear view) and you don't mess with safety systems.

My question is more from an INSURANCE standpoint. For example, Under the California Vehicle Code, every vehicle registered in the state (except for motorcycles) is required to have at least two rearview mirrors. One of these mirrors must be on the vehicle's left-hand side (driver's side).

So, if you take them off and get in an accident.......could your coverage be denied? I would think yes.

If they are easily removed, does that mean there's no controlling them (up/down/left/right)? That would make the passenger side mirror less useful since you couldn't adjust it for use without stopping.
Doubt it, I think they’re merely intended as a token gesture that Tesla has to do to make the cars legal to sell, anticipating that 99+% of people will want the superior camera-based substitute instead.

Reactions: GroovaEV and Ogre
Good compromise to expedite production and delivery - once less thing (changing the law) to worry about causing a delay. Perhaps a retrofit when the law changes?

Also good for those with long trailers - perhaps we'll see extended side mirrors for that use-case.
View attachment 723577
why not extended side cameras . . . . . true - hauling is a 'drag' (pun intended) but regular &/or extended(able?) side cameras couldn't hoyt.

Would be nice if it can be locked in place like the doors (obviously cannot be opened) when the car is not mobile otherwise, we'll have a lot of stolen Tesla side view mirrors. It'll be such a hassle removing them when the car is park and re-attaching them when driving.