Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Cybertruck Will Have Removable Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

They weren’t present on the prototype, but it seems the production version of the Cybertruck will have side mirrors. Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted Tuesday that the upcoming all-electric Tesla pickup will include mirrors, but they will be removable.

Recently, the Tesla Cybertruck was spotted in the wild featuring side mirrors. After the sighting, Elon Musk noted that Cybertruck owners could remove the mirrors easily if they wanted.

“They’re required by law, but designed to be easy to remove by owners,” Musk said on Twitter.

Instead of conventional rearview mirrors, the prototype teased a camera-based system that will deliver rear views to the truck’s dashboard display. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has been petitioned to consider the use of cameras as replacements for mirrors. The issue is currently under review by the agency.

The Cybertruck was supposed to launch this year, but it has been delayed to late 2022. Perhaps, regulations will change by the time the truck hits the roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking very closely at the mirrors, looks like only two screws could be holding it on? If we remove it. We don't want a lot or big holes. And it must be manual or you will wires hanging out? This will be fun training our brains to look at the screen instead of outside mirror. Fun.

I don’t know about these tiny triangular mirrors

C6B5A238-2710-4BA8-ABD0-A5E00397367A.jpeg

I don’t know about these tiny triangular mirrors

View attachment 902589

Looks like there's a camera on the outside corner. It may be Tesla's way of getting around the mirror requirements. Yes there's a mirror, but you'll use the video feed to your monitor rather than the mirror.

I was hoping they’d be a bit bigger for towing and hooking up.

That would be an interesting option, have an extension for the camera that can go way out like the big mirrors of yesteryear. As far as hooking up, won't the rear view camera help with that all by itself? It sure works well with my Model S and the small utility trailers I pull.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Wouldn't the camera have to move up and down also. When I tow I have the spot mirror down a little so I can see the tires of the trailer as I maneuver around obstacles like curbs and ditches at low speed.

I would think they could do that in software. The cameras they currently use would show the tires of the trailer with no problem. The vehicle tires, while that might be another problem. Still no 360 view from the top like other manufacturers have.