Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Fremont Factory Has Started Production Despite County Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla started production Monday at its Fremont, Calif. factory, days after filing a lawsuit against county officials who ordered a pause in the manufacturing line to keep employees safe from COVID-19.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk, who has downplayed the virus and been critical of orders to keep the factory closed, announced the restart on Twitter.

Musk said he “will be on the line with everyone else” and asked that only he be arrested if officials decide to intervene.

Musk has been fighting with Alameda County for more than a month about the health order. Tesla initially kept the factory open despite the order, saying it qualified for an exemption as an automaker. Tesla finally suspended production on March 24 with a plan to return on May 4.

The county extended the stay-at-home order in late April, which prompted tweets from Musk such as “Free America Now.”

Bloomberg reported that Tesla had hoped to open the factory on Friday. Then, a report Monday from The Verge said that Tesla began making cars again over the weekend, bringing back enough workers to complete about 200 Model Y and Model 3 vehicles.

Musk said on Twitter Saturday that the company will move its headquarters and “future operations” out of California.

Tesla published Sunday a detailed ‘Getting Back to Work’ plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I totally lost my respect on Elon after his erratic Post-Covid behavior! After all, its all about Corporate America or nothing right? It seems no human life is worth above production and sales in his book... I am certain it will be a massive backfire if a mass covid outbreak presents in future in Fremont factory.

Tesla has proven that they’re able to implement plans to minimize risk at their Chinese factory and safely restart production. I see no reason why they can’t be successful in the U.S., as well. Rather than a hard ‘no’ from the county, I would rather see open discussion of how best to ramp up production; starting small, verifying safety, then expanding.

Tesla has proven that they’re able to implement plans to minimize risk at their Chinese factory and safely restart production. I see no reason why they can’t be successful in the U.S., as well. Rather than a hard ‘no’ from the county, I would rather see open discussion of how best to ramp up production; starting small, verifying safety, then expanding.

This is not the way to do it in threatening tone. Tesla is doing a great job in automotive sector, but as from management side specifically in this situation that is not the way. Elon should definitely stop talking in this tone. Its doing more damage than good for himself and the company.

Supposedly discussions were in process but it would have delayed opening the factory 1 week

During a Monday coronavirus briefing, Newsom downplayed the dispute between Tesla and the county and said he hadn't heard the plant had reopened. "My understanding is they have had some very constructive conversations, and my belief and hope and expectation is as early as next week they’ll be able to resume," Newsom said.

As Elon Musk Feuds With Alameda County, Tesla Reopens Fremont Plant | KQED

If he did this from the get-go. He would have been hailed as a hero. If he was wrong or right. But threatening California in such a way. When CARB policies made his vision possible comes out as arrogant.

It appears that CA isn't actually the issue, but the county. Apparently, the state gave the go ahead, but the county is trying to block the reopening.

I haven't been a fan of his blanket statements with regard to COVID, but I do think it's possible to reopen the factory while employing methods that will greatly minimize the chance of infection.

Can't wait to see them pull an "I'm Spartacus!"

Alameda Sheriff pulls up and says "Okay, I have a warrant for the arrest of Elon Musk. Which one's Elon Musk?"
As Elon gets up to turn himself in, a line worker says "I'm Elon Musk", then another "I'm Elon Musk". Then a cacophony of "I'm Elon Musk" shouts from all over the echoing factory.
More likely...

Sheriff shows up, Elon gets arrested, the whole planet finds out about Alameda County's lack of preparedness and delay tactics on Mar 4th, AND we get more TESLA advertising + forces from the right. Sensitive.

MADE IN AMERICA... (oh, except for Tesla bc others have to catch up somehow).
MADE IN CHINA... (Chinese outpacing America again - they're just fine.)

That's how this all looks to me. IMO.

The mortality/complication risk for those under 65 continues to remain on par with other seasonal illnesses. The critical care capacity concerns are, for the most part, squashed.

Treating this like the pandemic it is w/o saying it's ok to risk some groups vs others seems the only reasonable course of action - how many of those < 65 aged workers have no contact with higher risk groups of all ages? Are they even aware of that possibilty?

Having said that, there are steps that can be taken with PPE for workers, adjustments to how the line(s) operate etc that have strongly suggested that a return to work is very feasible. Supposedly those were the plans but the county either did not listen, or did not want to listen.

For the county to defy the state is odd indeed

More and more Americans defy the law without consequences. The Trump Administration lacks competence and leadership and can't give clear direction, charges are dropped against recognized criminals. The country is going lawless and decadent. Musk scores no point on that one, not professional, not responsible. Newsom shouldn't have stayed on the sidelines, he was weak. More issues will arise, should they all be handled that way ?

More and more Americans defy the law without consequences. The Trump Administration lacks competence and leadership and can't give clear direction, charges are dropped against recognized criminals. The country is going lawless and decadent. Musk scores no point on that one, not professional, not responsible. Newsom shouldn't have stayed on the sidelines, he was weak. More issues will arise, should they all be handled that way ?
What law would that be? An illegal EO is not a law.

Some earlier posts were saying Elon was arrogant in fighting with the county. Elon is like a force of nature and I believe we need to look at the many things he has accomplished. I've download the Playbook for returning to work that Tesla put out and this took a ton of thought about what Tesla needed to do to be safe for their employees. Just thinking about it more, will not move the ball. Tesla is now ready to put the playbook on the field. With that many changes plus some others such as shuttle limits as well as still being open to comments from the health department and Tesla employees shows me Elon can still be concerned with his employees but he also realizes that all auto factories across the country will be open next week. He can not be the only auto factory in the country and still produce viable products. I'm one of those Model Y and Cybertruck customers with an open order ready to take delivery so I admit that I too am a stakeholder in Tesla. As just another person interested in a sustainable energy future it seems to fall to Elon to be the leader of this movement toward our future. Elon needs our support.

Read Tesla's lawsuit in the link below, filed in a professional manner through normal legal channels. Musk is known for being highly principled and passionate about what he believes in (e.g. fighting all the media stories he deems false, often with personal lengthy, well thought out responses, rather then just "letting them go"). His response in this matter is in perfect step with other examples of how he handles perceived injustices in his personal and business life.
https://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cn.../09/Tesla v Alameda County Complaint copy.pdf