Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says FSD Beta is ‘Not Great’

May 19, 2017
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said its latest beta version of its Full Self Driving software is “not great.”

Musk was replying to a video praising the new self-driving software. Musk said Tesla employees have urgency to improve the system.

“FSD Beta 9.2 is actually not great imo, but Autopilot/AI team is rallying to improve as fast as possible,” he tweeted. “We’re trying to have a single stack for both highway & city streets, but it requires massive NN retraining.”

FSD Beta 9.2 is actually not great imo, but Autopilot/AI team is rallying to improve as fast as possible. We’re trying to have a single stack for both highway & city streets, but it requires massive NN retraining.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 23, 2021

Tesla sells FSD for $10,000 or a $199 per month subscription. The beta version of the FSD software has only been rolled out to small number of owners and employees to...

Continue reading...

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
I think this may have been more Musk's way of criticizing the Ford BlueCruise system i.e., FSD beta "isn't great" which means Ford BlueCruise must really suck.

DarkandStormy

Apr 16, 2021
Colorado
E9gNqGxXsAIP3GE

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
I think this may have been more Musk's way of criticizing the Ford BlueCruise system i.e., FSD beta "isn't great" which means Ford BlueCruise must really suck.
Watch the Munro test drive. All BlueCruise did was stay in lane on a freeway and follow the car in front. That's it .. nothing else. It also disengaged when the car took a curve (on the freeway!). No auto lane change, not even lane change assist. No navigation tie-in at all. Sandy was pretty blunt about it.

As others noted, what Elon was saying (I think) is "Look, right now FSD isnt anywhere close to what we plan on delivering, and yet its still Muro thinks even in this early beta state ints still way ahead of Ford". Of course, the press are having a field day, but of this is the same press that swallowed all the "Tesla building a robot" stuff.

Dan D.

Dec 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Watch the Munro test drive. All BlueCruise did was stay in lane on a freeway and follow the car in front. That's it .. nothing else. It also disengaged when the car took a curve (on the freeway!). No auto lane change, not even lane change assist. No navigation tie-in at all. Sandy was pretty blunt about it.

As others noted, what Elon was saying (I think) is "Look, right now FSD isnt anywhere close to what we plan on delivering, and yet its still Muro thinks even in this early beta state ints still way ahead of Ford". Of course, the press are having a field day, but of this is the same press that swallowed all the "Tesla building a robot" stuff.
That BlueCruise video looked fairly lame, for the reasons you listed. Compared to the MobilEye, AutoX videos it's very basic, and practically useless. It's too bad none of the major automakers in North America yet have a Level 2 system that matches the Level 4 systems of those companies. Even if Level 2 has the problem of distracted driver, and those Level 4 systems are still in R&D, the commercially available systems here just aren't as good.

Mardak

Oct 13, 2018
USA
With 9.3 skipped last week and 10.0 pushed to next week, I wonder why Tesla decided to keep FSD beta on "not great" 9.2 for 4 weeks instead of following the original 2-week schedule?

USCGDAV

Aug 9, 2021
florida
Well that's the opposite of what Elon had texted about the beta. He made is sound like it was just the bomb and now he's saying it's not great.
I counseled him and we cleared it all up. He was talking about sushi at the time. Big misunderstanding.

Attachments

• elon.jpg
    elon.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Funny
Reactions: byeLT4

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC