Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Giga Berlin Will Be Testbed For New Tesla Technologies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
The German Model Y will have 4680 batteries, the new body structure, and more. Elon Musk clarified a lot of previous doubts we had with a single tweet. The main one was why Fremont did not get the “world’s most advanced paint shop” before Giga Berlin if it still produces vehicles with paint issues. Apparently, Tesla wants to use the German...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/10/07/musk-giga-belin-testbed-new-tesla-technologies/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Weren't we told a couple of years ago that that Fremont was getting the world's best paint shop?

What I want most from Tesla is the confidence that I can get warranty and other repair work in an industry normal time frame. I assume the primary issue here is Fremont sending new cars to Service Centers who are expected to finish the manufacturing process. Musk's interest in the newest shiny thing does not bode well for existing customers.

Sounds like a very smart strategy: Berlin (Western world) best to protect IP (Intellectual Property), and a technical challenge for the German/ EU, Texas for ASAP ramping up, China for CYuan offsetting Tesla expenses there, getting the smartest engineering talent there too, which will translate in all Tesla locations. Also tapping/ encouraging overall Battery production in the leading area of the world. *IF* the Arabs were smart they'd hypefund solar, wind and battery tech there to take the lead for the post crude (yeah, I meant more refined) world. Not holding my breath, they have their selfish blind barons just like we have here.

I certainly won't be buying another Tesla anytime soon, knowing that all vehicles sold and delivered in the US will be manufactured in a substandard manner in a substandard factory that does not represent Tesla's best. It is unfortunate, at best, that Musk feels the best built products should go to German consumers while Americans—who arguably kept Tesla in business and ensured its survival—should receive the substandard cars.