Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says He Wants the Roadster to Hover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Elon Musk wants the upcoming Tesla Roadster to hover.

The Tesla CEO shared new details on the supercar, as well as the possibility of a van with a solar roof during an interview on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast.

Musk said Tesla should finalize engineering this year and could start delivering the car next year. Musk has teased a “SpaceX” version of the car for several years, saying it will use cold-gas thrusters developed by the space company, propelling the car to even greater speeds. 

But, Elon wants the cat to fly.

“I want it to hover,” Musk said. “I’m trying to figure out how to make this thing hover, without, you know, killing people. I thought, maybe we could make it hover, but not too high. So maybe it could hover, like, a meter above the ground, or something. So, if you plummet, you blow out the suspension, but you’re not going to die. Maybe, I don’t know, six feet. If we put a height limit on it, it will probably be fine.”

Musk told Rogan that Roadsters with the SpaceX package will not have a back seat, making room for the thruster system.

Musk said he expects the thruster to come out of a James Bond-style flip-down license plate.

Listen to the full interview here

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet any money the roadster will hover, when in zero gravity environment, however that particular fine print is not coming until after they get suckers to pay for the hover option.

Elon has pulled it many times - "your P85D totally meets the 691hp spec we advertised, but not with the battery we sold you", "your screen doesn't yellow, if you are in space that is, on Earth it's exposed to oxygen, therefore yellowing is expected", "the car you bought 7 years ago will fully self drive while you speed on the back, oh but we didn't commit when, so we still have few decades to deliver it to you", etc, etc.

At 250K, it's a whole new market sector to disappoint.
Talk to anyone that has owned a Supercar. They are great to own; if you buy a dedicated service garage to maintain them.

Lambo Aventedor S - $7,500/year maintenance - Annual Service is $5,000, $2,000 for tires (good for 6,000 miles or so). Set this list for more info

Bottom line. If those prices are a factor, don't buy the car.

agreed. lets not forget what hover means. hover is simply reducing downward pressure on the normal. Lets not assume it's jetson's "zip around hover", but intellectually the next iteration might be a strategy to reduce surface pressure and lift the car during coasting periods (highway). Leaving just enough rubber to the road to provide accel/decel and turn where necessary. this in turn would provide an incredibly smooth ride and a distance from pavement configuration to match the transit profile.

yea, a hovering Tesla ! Has Elon been smoking that devil weed again?
I'm waiting for the submersible version :rolleyes:
Finally! I've been wading through all the funny and informative comments and SiliconD finally brings up the obvious: Elon&Joe had some good shxt just prior to the podcast! "Dude, what if it could hover?!" "Gnarly, mon!"

It's good for them both to enjoy life a little more than most - they've given more of themselves than most. Party on Garth!

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Flying/hovering cars seem like a cool idea at first, but less so the more you think about its practical application. Seriously, has anyone paid attention to how poorly people drive with their wheels on the ground? Now imagine that 100 feet up with a 3rd axis of motion involved. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I blame the Jetsons for popularizing this fantasy.

Elon Musk wants the upcoming Tesla Roadster to hover. The Tesla CEO shared new details on the supercar, as well as the possibility of a van with a solar roof during an interview on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast. Musk said Tesla should finalize engineering this year and could start delivering the car next year. Musk...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2021/02/12/musk-says-he-wants-the-roadster-to-hover/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]