TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Blog Musk Says Hyperloop Connecting NYC to DC in 30 Minutes Received 'Verbal Government Approval'

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by TMC Staff, Jul 20, 2017.

1. TMC Staff

Elon Musk said today on Twitter that The Boring Company received “verbal government approval” to build a Hyperloop connecting New York with Washington DC. Musk said a trip between the two cities would take 29 minutes. It’s not clear what government agency approved the project. Just received verbal govt approval for The Boring Company to...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Sure sounds like he spends a whole lot more time on this then the bs percentage he gave before.

3. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Verbal, schmerbal

4. 0ptions

0ptions Member

I don't hold my breath on anything involving the government.

5. RobertF

RobertF Member

Why don't they start with transporting stuff first and people later. Reduces trucks and pollution on highways. Many more complications, regulations and obstacles to transporting people (AC, bathrooms, etc.).

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

This news surprised me. It was my understanding that Elon had said many times in the past that he did not have time to commercialize his Hyperloop proposal, and that The Boring Company was focused on building tunnels more cheaply. Until just now I have never read anything to indicate that The Boring Company would build a Hyperloop.

I also did not know about this, quote: "The Boring Company recently began digging an underground tunnel system that would stretch from Los Angeles International Airport to the city of Santa Monica "

I thought all they had done was build a very short tunnel under Crenshaw Blvd to connect the SpaceX parking structure to the SpaceX buildings.

7. electracity

electracity Active Member

"The Boring Company recently began digging an underground tunnel system that would stretch from Los Angeles International Airport to the city of Santa Monica "

The guy really hates to sit in traffic. Once he makes it to LAX, he can take a left and tunnel to spacex.

8. Brando

Brando Member

Home for the boring company
    Just a reminder to all, a good practise to just read up on the company website before commenting.

• Helpful x 1
  9. electracity

electracity Active Member

Chicago and probably other cities built freight tunnels pre automobile because surface traffic had become deadlocked.

Chicago’s Forgotten Underground Freight Tunnels

• Helpful x 1
  10. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

So there's precedent!

I've said since Musk's first Hyperloop comments that if it never carries a person and only carries cargo, it would still revolutionize transportation.

Imagine full intermodal shipping containers arriving in NYC from the Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach in 4 hours or less.

Certain unions will probably get in line to object, but... too bad.

11. smac

smac Active Member

Isn't this somewhat of limited benefit if the stuff offloaded at the ports had already spent weeks at sea? As a % of total journey time the investment seems disproportionate to me.

Electrifiying/improving the rail network would seem a more obvious candidate if spending this sort of money.

12. oktane

oktane Active Member

Government says they are unaware of any verbal approvals.

13. Economite

Economite Member

Musk's tweet is just silly. This sort of project would require many types of approvals from various agencies at the state, federal, and local level; more importantly, it would require legislation budgeting a large amount of government funding.

"Verbal Approval" just isn't a real thing. Sounds like, at best, someone in the White House (or maybe DOT) told Musk that the White House (or DOT) was "intrigued" or "interested" in the project. There's a big difference between that and an actual "approval."

14. Leptoquark

Leptoquark Member

15. ecarfan

I find it astonishing that it now appears the Boring Company is actually going to start digging a Hyperloop tunnel. How is that being financed? Tunneling is expensive.

There are at least two other commercial companies that say they are developing Hyperloop technology. I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that is not yet public information.

16. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Per Elon, it’s being financed one hat at a time.

Personally, I’m waiting for the Pet Snail Gary line of apparel and obligatory shoe, er, slime trail contract before loading up.

There’s some quiet progress making way under the Hawthorne airport from the SpaceX parking lot as well.

17. ecarfan

Wait, I thought he was selling underpants to raise money? :cool:
    Yes, I'm aware. But that's just a few miles. The Maryland to D.C. route is much more ambitious.