Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says ‘Major Navigation Overhaul’ Coming in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said today that a “major navigation overhaul” is coming to Tesla vehicles in 2018.

Retweeting a TMC post, Musk teased “some cool software updates.”

Pressed for more information, he said, “Major navigation overhaul coming in early 2018. Will be light-years ahead of current system, but we are testing it rigorously before rolling out.”

Some updates in Tesla’s software code have hinted at an update to the maps system. TMC member and Tesla hacker verygreen discovered several interesting developments in Tesla’s software related to maps. For instance, code included in the 2017.44 software update enabled “vector maps.” He noted, “The looks are mostly the same, but it allows you to zoom quite a bit more and friends that tried it in-motion report much smoother operation + higher detailed maps on the big screen.”

What would you like to see in a maps update?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Swift
c23ce6d1-8019-4d78-9692-c77c9a96de88

This piqued my curiosity so i did some internet searching and quickly came upon the following post by someone who did extensive research on the etymology of dead/ded reckoning.

Is “dead reckoning” short for “deduced reckoning”?

Bottom line? First known citation of "dead reckoning" was in the Oxford English Dictionary of 1613. The first entry was in OED in 1708. Neither mentions "deduced". The earliest known reference to "ded reckoning" was 1931. It became popular in Marine and Air Navigation manuals in WWII.

But what do the Brits know about English anyway? To quote the author:

"Some feel compelled to “correct” people who write “dead” and not “ded.” Obviously I don’t believe they should, but it might come as a surprise to some to learn that neither does the FAA or the Coast Guard. A search of their websites finds zero references to “ded” or “ded.” or “deduced” reckoning, but quite a few references to “dead reckoning.”"
Yes, there are those who argue that the 1613 OED quotation is definitive. Yes, lots of people allude to something ‘dead’ in the water. I remain inalterable connected to the other school, which even your source does concede has some merit. In modern context, I argue, deductive reckoning is a more accurate version.

Today there are quite complex calculations involved in this process of estimating actual position based on one known position. Hence the reference also to inertial Navigation.

I have no argument with your source, BTW. This is a religious point and my own is not ‘dead’.:eek:

I don't know if the packs were gifted or sold. I can't assess motivation.
So if Tesla didn't install these PowerPacks in Puerto Rico for free, their motivation was somehow wrong? Tesla should have been throwing out PowerPacks like President Trump was throwing out toilet paper at the press conference? While we're at it, why not consider Elon's personal donation of 250,000 dollars to the relief fund as an act of bribery... Why not criticise the fact that Tesla isn't offering M3's for free to the whole of Scandinavia - because that would very obviously "accelerate the advent of sustainable transport".
Indeed no good deed goes unpunished, as @Uncle Paul wrote above. There were even critics of Tesla's decision to give software-limited cars in Florida a temporary range boost ("why doesn't Tesla just sell the 75 for the price of a 60", etc.).
I don't understand questioning the motivation of what Tesla did for Puerto Rico. Yes it was good marketing. And probably a good business opportunity. But certainly it was very much the right thing to do for Puerto Rico (helping to asap restore electricity to hospitals etc.). Well done by Tesla to immediately dedicate ressources to that. I can imagine people questioning Tesla's motivation on releasing the FSD video a year ago, or selling the FSD option today in the first place, etc. etc., but those questioning Tesla's motivation on its Puerto Rico reaction must, I think, be really very mad at Tesla / been driven to bitterness by Tesla, for some reason which intrigues me.
@AnxietyRanger I do 100% agree with you (as mentioned before) on the fact that anyone claiming something on this forum should try to provide evidence that we can assess :).

Reactions: arcus and scaesare
So if Tesla didn't install these PowerPacks in Puerto Rico for free, their motivation was somehow wrong?

You can ask @scaesare what he/she meant. So far he/she hasn't been elaborating.

I think this was a good marketing deed. No complaints. :)

And clearly the Powerpacks sent to Puerto Rico were entirely do to hubris and selfish corporate motivation.

If such humanitarian efforts and fun diversions alike are The New Advertising, then I'll take it every day of the week over yet another inane TV commercial or some sales-speak ad copy spewed out by a corporate marketing droid.

How about figure out the shortest route to get to the destination based on traffic? I know it’s supposed to do that, but it still can’t figure out the right route to my house. Google maps invariably (and somewhat ironically) does a bettter job.

Funny you should say this. There are 5 roads that lead to my house after exiting the highway. 1 is the most direct/shortest/least traffic. It is also the one that is "residential". The other 4 are larger "double yellow line" roads. Up until about 6 months ago, NAV would always choose the shortest/most direct route. Now, it reroutes me over the larger roads, and when I ignore it's suggestions, it goes out of it's way to tell me to make a U turn so I can follow the suggested route, even if I can see my house from through my front windshield! I think it is all very funny of course, because I know my neighborhood, and don't need to use NAV, but it does make me wonder if it chooses the less optimal route in areas I am unfamiliar. I think this might be related to people being upset with the sudden rise of traffic tools like google maps and waze created, and this is sort of the over-reaction to complaints.

My apologies in advance for being off topic.

Really not sure how the thread title relates to the power being restored to a children's hospital in Puerto Rico, where a majority of the island was destroyed, and the increased potential loss of life, children's lives, is being used to question the motivation and the terms of providing a much needed disaster relief effort.

I believe this should be the furthest thought from anyone's mind. This is wrong on far too many levels. Aren't we all better than that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Model 3
Really not sure how the thread title relates to the power being restored to a children's hospital in Puerto Rico, where a majority of the island was destroyed, and the increased potential loss of life, children's lives, is being used to question the motivation and the terms of providing a much needed disaster relief effort.

It doesn't. @scaesare apparently suggested they have a relation when he used Puerto Rico as some kind of an example:
scaesare said:
And clearly the Powerpacks sent to Puerto Rico were entirely do to hubris and selfish corporate motivation.

I simply asked if they were gifted or sold there, which seems to relate to any point he would be making. Nobody answered.