Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says ‘Major Navigation Overhaul’ Coming in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said today that a “major navigation overhaul” is coming to Tesla vehicles in 2018.

Retweeting a TMC post, Musk teased “some cool software updates.”

Pressed for more information, he said, “Major navigation overhaul coming in early 2018. Will be light-years ahead of current system, but we are testing it rigorously before rolling out.”

Some updates in Tesla’s software code have hinted at an update to the maps system. TMC member and Tesla hacker verygreen discovered several interesting developments in Tesla’s software related to maps. For instance, code included in the 2017.44 software update enabled “vector maps.” He noted, “The looks are mostly the same, but it allows you to zoom quite a bit more and friends that tried it in-motion report much smoother operation + higher detailed maps on the big screen.”

What would you like to see in a maps update?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Swift
I’ll take P.T. for $200, Alex.

And I don’t mean Cruiser.

That said, have you had a chance to try *.48 Chill mode in concert with different steering modes? Neverminding that Elon’s “silky smooth” pronouncement was ~9 months ago, this has been the closest to silky smooth for AP2 yet. Still not as confidence-inspiring as AP1, due to AP2’s still brittle nature, but notable nonetheless.

The downside being anyone with a P car ends up deprecating what they spent the extra money for, as the downside to Chill is that the top end is severely, um, retarded in the dictionary sense of the word.

I need to try this. Good idea.

I'll bite... So, what's wrong with the Navigation system?

This would be a very long list.

Better perhaps to look at best-in-class feature sets and just copy and paste. Let’s just call all of that route management.

Here’s just one that’s uniquely Tesla-centric:

There’s no pop-up to alert you that Nav has automagically routed you in reverse to the last SC - or laterally upon occasion. Not so obvious when in unfamiliar territory.

When I travel, it’s with Nav running as primary for the SC point to point and such. Always running as well is Waze on a smartphone. Quite helpful in multiple, um, ways. Sometimes for long trips (>2,500 miles) I’ll have Google Maps running as well since the days tend to blend together.

I have high hopes for the Nav refresh both because there’s a lot of ground to make up and because there are all sorts of nifty things they could do if they wanted to.

Hopefully it’s not the same team that’s been entrusted to audio management. *polite cough*

As much as I love my model S, the nav is absolutely the weakest link of the car. I have 2 regular locations I travel to about 75 miles from my home. For each of these locations, the nav continues to route me 20 min longer routes as compared to Apple and google maps. For an electric car where range/charging is at the top of the list of priorities when on an extended trip, I want to be 100% positive that the Tesla nav system is taking me on the most expeditious route. I truly hope Elon steps up and dramatically updates the nav system in short order....way overdue.

The screen and locations of the two screens is the best of any Nav system I would guess (17" screen and all). It's the software that needs work and looks like Tesla is finally addressing it. There really is no reason why it shouldn't be near the top.

The screen and locations of the two screens is the best of any Nav system I would guess (17" screen and all). It's the software that needs work and looks like Tesla is finally addressing it. There really is no reason why it shouldn't be near the top.

Speaking of the left Nav (Navigon mapping in the IC) it’s been consistently of great help during road trips. The granularity during freeway transitions/exits has been very helpful.

Would hate to lose that during any “improvements” similar to having to now tap 2-3x as many times to get sensible window positioning at right.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Last edited:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said today that a “major navigation overhaul” is coming to Tesla vehicles in 2018. Retweeting a TMC post, Musk teased “some cool software updates.” Glad to see that Tesla owners are having a good experience. Working to improve further. Some cool software updates coming soon. Tesla Motors Club on Twitter — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/12/21/musk-says-major-navigation-overhaul-coming-in-2018/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
How about replacing it with Google maps...? The nav experience is embarrassingly bad (slow, glitchy, wrong, etc) - I consistently end up using G-maps in the S instead of the native system. Tesla will keep stubbornly pushing their own inferior nav system just like Apple... Yes, some day it might be better, but today it’s just plain inferior to G-maps.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hank42
I'll bite... So, what's wrong with the Navigation system?

Literally everything. And I’m not trying to be a smart***

The biggest annoyance is the lack of and slow zoom in when I have to make a turn. But like actually super zoom in like google maps on your phone. Sometimes I’ll think it’s the next street I have to turn onto because the thing lags, I end up passing the actual street I have to turn on. I’m guessing this is where vector maps comes into play?