Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says ‘Major Navigation Overhaul’ Coming in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said today that a “major navigation overhaul” is coming to Tesla vehicles in 2018.

Retweeting a TMC post, Musk teased “some cool software updates.”

Pressed for more information, he said, “Major navigation overhaul coming in early 2018. Will be light-years ahead of current system, but we are testing it rigorously before rolling out.”

Some updates in Tesla’s software code have hinted at an update to the maps system. TMC member and Tesla hacker verygreen discovered several interesting developments in Tesla’s software related to maps. For instance, code included in the 2017.44 software update enabled “vector maps.” He noted, “The looks are mostly the same, but it allows you to zoom quite a bit more and friends that tried it in-motion report much smoother operation + higher detailed maps on the big screen.”

What would you like to see in a maps update?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Swift
How about figure out the shortest route to get to the destination based on traffic? I know it’s supposed to do that, but it still can’t figure out the right route to my house. Google maps invariably (and somewhat ironically) does a bettter job.

What would be very useful is a real trip planner that in addition to waypoints, took things like traffic, temperature, wind, altitude and precipitation into account so it could make useful projections. Integration of the trip planner with Auto Pilot so the car could move to the correct lanes when at highway merges and exits.

Reactions: suwaneedad
Will Tesla's new map system still have "resident" maps like Navigon that keep working when there is no LTE service?
I've had this occur several times on road trips where Navigon with on-boards maps saved the day! If not then the system should at least buffer enough map to get to your next destination.

“major navigation overhaul”

Yeah, sure. Last time he promised a "major UI overhaul" for firmware v7.0 and it turned out to be bupkis.

I'll bet the “major navigation overhaul” is coming right after the browser is updated to Chrome, as Elon Musk promised in 2013.

He also tweeted "silky smooth" AP2, what, about a year ago? Have we seen that yet?

Are you sensing a theme here?

Last edited:
Yeah, sure. Last time he promised a "major UI overhaul" for firmware v7.0 and it turned out to be bupkis.

I'll be the “major navigation overhaul” is coming right after the browser is updated to Chrome, as Elon Musk promised in 2013.

He also tweeted "silky smooth" AP2, what, about a year ago? Have we seen that yet?

Are you sensing a theme here?

I’ll take P.T. for $200, Alex.

And I don’t mean Cruiser.

That said, have you had a chance to try *.48 Chill mode in concert with different steering modes? Neverminding that Elon’s “silky smooth” pronouncement was ~9 months ago, this has been the closest to silky smooth for AP2 yet. Still not as confidence-inspiring as AP1, due to AP2’s still brittle nature, but notable nonetheless.

The downside being anyone with a P car ends up deprecating what they spent the extra money for, as the downside to Chill is that the top end is severely, um, retarded in the dictionary sense of the word.

Will Tesla's new map system still have "resident" maps like Navigon that keep working when there is no LTE service?
I've had this occur several times on road trips where Navigon with on-boards maps saved the day! If not then the system should at least buffer enough map to get to your next destination.

Tesla's current navigation system already uses "resident" maps and works with no cell/LTE service. But they are only displayed on the IC, Google maps is displayed on the CID.