Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Model Y Production Ramp is ‘Top Priority’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is having production problems with the Model Y, struggling to ramp to a pre-pandemic clip.

A letter to employees from Chief Executive Elon Musk said he’ll be walking the assembly line on a weekly basis to help troubleshoot problems.

“We are doing reasonably well with S, X and 3, but there are production and supply chain ramp challenges with Model Y, as is always the case for new products,” Musk wrote in the email first reported by Business Insider.

The Model Y is expected to be Tesla’s best-selling vehicle.

See Musk’s full email below:

Subject: Model Y ProductionIt is extremely important for us to ramp up Model Y production and minimize rectification needs. I want you to know that it really makes a difference to Tesla right now.Model Y, especially GA, is the top priority for both production and manufacturing engineering. GA4 is also top priority for facilities improvements. For those working in GA4, thank you for bearing with tough conditions. Will get better fast. I will be walking the line personally every week.We are doing reasonably well with S, X, and 3, but there are production and supply chain ramp challenges with Model Y, as is always the case for new products. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.Thanks,Elon

Last edited by a moderator:
Quality and Safety have, in my experience as an owner since 2013, been #1 considerations with no real issues.
We traded in 2013 Model S at 65k miles for upgrade to 2016 for autopilot which we love. Have 68k on the 2016. Only issue was the passenger mirror came loose from its backing..reattached under warranty.

Otherwise, no time and no dollars wasted at a gas station or repair shop in 130k miles.
Isn't it true Tesla remains the number 1 car in customer satisfaction since 2013 with well over 90% of owners who will (would) buy another?

While I am totally satisfied with the model S, I would love to have the Y, a pickup, Semi and roadster, too. The problem with that is people would think I am an enthusiast.

He's not too concerned about quality. He's walking the line to find ways to pump cars out faster. If he cared about quality control, Tesla's problems in that area would have been solved a long time ago!

Sure, this is why he said this, in a memo to his employees that was never meant for the public:

"It is extremely important for us to ramp up Model Y production and minimize rectification needs."

Tesla's main problem is owners and would be owners with massive expectations of perfection. -All car manufacturers have QC issues-. There are some posts here that are scary. But the vast majority? I see the photographic "proof" and wonder WTF they are referring to. Drive more, worry less.

Sure, this is why he said this, in a memo to his employees that was never meant for the public:

"It is extremely important for us to ramp up Model Y production and minimize rectification needs."

Tesla's main problem is owners and would be owners with massive expectations of perfection. -All car manufacturers have QC issues-. There are some posts here that are scary. But the vast majority? I see the photographic "proof" and wonder WTF they are referring to. Drive more, worry less.

Sandy Munro himself said the paint issues are unacceptable.

having filtered through many comments on panel gaps and paint - I was most amused to see other model's forums making mention of quality problems that seem much more frequent...
the pic below is a nearly new and undamaged Nissan I parked near today
with a panel gap I could get get my pinky in...

from my experience in the UK the Model 3 has far fewer QC issues than the average mid to high priced motor.

"nearly new"?

that large scratch on the door makes it look less than new, and has it been in an accident? That is a pretty hideous panel gap, but perhaps it didn't leave the factory looking like that?

I placed an order for an AWD long range black model Y soon after they were announced and paid my $2500 deposit in July 2019. It's a year later and the car has not materialized. I did get a call from Tesla while the factory was closed telling me the car would be available soon, but nothing since then. In the meantime, I'm seeing so many complaints about quality control and defects and unreachable customer service for these cars on Reddit and TMC and elsewhere, that I finally decided this week to cancel my order. I'm a happy owner of a AWD LR Model 3 which has been completely problem-free, and I have no complaints about the local service center (my only experience with them to replace a broken side mirror was perfect). i plan to reorder the model Y when I see some evidence that they have gotten their quality control and customer service problems under control, but it just feels too risky right now. The fact that there is simply no customer service phone number to call that has any ability or authority to resolve problems is absurd.
Thank you, that puts my car delivery ahead one more notch....

The model 3 showed up at my door in November 2019. It has traveled 5986 miles up to now. I have not noticed any quality issues with the car, yet. I see no flaws in the paint. The doors and trunk lids work without problems.
It drives like a dream. Pressing on the accelerator makes the car almost fly. Lifting the foot off the accelerator, the car slows down. No need to press the brake until ready to stop. So far so good.
I am concerned about all the electromechanical operations though. The folding and unfolding of the exterior mirrors, the down and up of the windows when closing a door. The charge port door and other invisible but very loud relays that operate. Again, still, so far so good.