Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Next FSD Release Will Be ‘Special’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

An updated version of Tesla’s Full Self-Driving software is set to release with “fundamental improvements,” Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

In fact, Musk called the release “special” and that it will bring about “new areas of functionality.”

The automaker released a beta version of its Full Self-Driving software last month which was met with positive reviews. The Full Self-Driving feature enables Tesla vehicles to make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow a navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns.

The software is only available to a select group of owners, but a wider release is expected as soon as next month. 

The full price of FSD is now $10,000. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Show me the money !

Err show me the (upcoming) new version and push it WIDE already.

I see to get all other (non beta) releases in first day or two since I got this (second) car this year. But still no beta love for me yet; and I’ve got so many excellent tests that trip up my current (public) FSD all the time. Numerous load of unique road issues in my area RIPE for testing.

Below accounts for 85% of disengagements IMO. If Tesla can fix these "minor" issues, then it'll be "special" for sure:

1. Being in turn lane when not turning
2. Turning right but not on the outermost lane / near curb
3. Major ping ponging / steering within lanes
4. Changing lanes to follow route too late
5. Creeping after stop sign (and in general) needs to be more consistent and predictable (in term of speed)

This just shows that Tesla is in the very early stages of FSD. These are fundamental problems.

Well Brandon - who was very excitable when first started the FSD Beta - has an interesting prognosis for FSD in 2020.
View attachment 610309

https://twitter.com/brandonee916/status/1329825756998819843

Is is he saying FSD Beta with driver supervision will be released wide to the entire fleet before the end of the year or that Tesla will achieve FSD with no driver supervision before the end of the year? The former is definitely possible. The latter is unlikely.

This just shows that Tesla is in the very early stages of FSD. These are fundamental problems.

Is is he saying FSD Beta with driver supervision will be released wide to the entire fleet before the end of the year or that Tesla will achieve FSD with no driver supervision before the end of the year? The former is definitely possible. The latter is unlikely.

I think he must be referring to the former. Agree there’s no chance unsupervised driving will occur anytime soon.

Fairly sure he means the beta can go GA before year's end. I don't think anyone with some experience of AP/FSD beta talks about robotaxi / unsupervised FSD as coming anytime soon (except the usual Musk forecasts).

Honestly I think something similar in functionality to the current limited beta will be (mostly) wide release by end of year.

The large amount of general releases coming out lately and no / limited changes to release notes to me implies hidden background FSD changes to non beta cars being applied to the notable amount of FSD beta releases.

I have nothing to back this up. Just a suspicion.

The large amount of general releases coming out lately and no / limited changes to release notes to me implies hidden background FSD changes to non beta cars
There could be shadow mode updates to the neural network that controls driving for FSD beta and only triggers data collection for the wider fleet. We received 2020.44.15 last night, and today the car uploaded 2.4GB after an hour of driving.

Yes the new FSD will be amazing but it has been done at the cost of downgrading the standard auto driving on every new car. I had a 2016 Model S for 4 years and its standard Autopilot had autopark, horizontal and vertical, lane change and garage parking none of which is on the new Model 3 without paying £6000 for them to switch it on. Other irritations like a tailgate that does not even lift the weight of the trunk and loss of remote closing from inside the car. So no wonder they have plenty cash for developing better FSD, they have stripped the rest of the car to the bone.

And how much did your Model S cost?

Tesla has the following worldwide features that no other company has deployed (to my knowledge):

Traffic light response
Stop sign response
Route-based automatic lane changing
Automatic interchange routing
Automatic highway exiting
Large truck lane deviation

Route-based automatic lane changing is on in North America, in no other country this works (NOA without confirmation). In fact, all countries that adhere to UN/ECE R79 don't have this which is basically almost every country in the world.

• Love
Reactions: MrBadger

Looks like Beta 5 has lots of improvements. This guy Brandon, is someone I have been following closely since the release of FSD Beta and he always had issues but with this release he says it's a significant improvement of course not perfect but this just shows how fast Tesla is improving and I think looking at this they probably would release a FSD Beta version to the wider fleet before next year.

Looks like Beta 5 has lots of improvements. This guy Brandon, is someone I have been following closely since the release of FSD Beta and he always had issues but with this release he says it's a significant improvement of course not perfect but this just shows how fast Tesla is improving and I think looking at this they probably would release a FSD Beta version to the wider fleet before next year.

Yes, FSD is getting better. No doubt. Tesla is definitely making a lot of progress.

This video does show some issues that FSD still has. In the video, FSD misses a left turn, ping pongs between two lanes and almost hits construction barrels twice.

Yes, I definitely think that Tesla will be able to release "FSD Beta with driver supervision" to the wide fleet by the end of next year. Tesla may even do it sooner.

Yes, FSD is getting better. No doubt. Tesla is definitely making a lot of progress.

This video does show some issues that FSD still has. In the video, FSD misses a left turn, ping pongs between two lanes and almost hits construction barrels twice.

Yes, I definitely think that Tesla will be able to release "FSD Beta with driver supervision" to the wide fleet by the end of next year. Tesla may even do it sooner.

They should. Much more data can be gathered and more edge cases can be covered. If it does go fleet wide, I would hope we would get that error reporting/camera icon to send fails back to them.

Route-based automatic lane changing is on in North America, in no other country this works (NOA without confirmation). In fact, all countries that adhere to UN/ECE R79 don't have this which is basically almost every country in the world.

Well, even in the USA, it's not truly automatic, since you have to nudge the steering wheel. I think it works the same in Europe.

Confirmed as we need to use the indicator stalk to instigate/confirm and have the car detect wheel torque. This is not the same as is available in the US unless you have unconfirmed lane change option turned off.

Do your cars need to detect wheel torque within 5 seconds of confirming the lane change with indicator stalk otherwise it will abort the manoeuvre? Delayed torque detection can result in the car aborting lane change mid manoeuvre as the car must complete its manoeuvre within a certain short period of time - you timeout, if you are lucky you get an onscreen message, if un lucky, the car suddenly veers back into the lane its just come from, irrespective of whether a following vehicle is about to fill that space.

• Disagree
Reactions: powertoold
Confirmed as we need to use the indicator stalk to instigate/confirm and have the car detect wheel torque. This is not the same as is available in the US unless you have unconfirmed lane change option turned off.

Do your cars need to detect wheel torque within 5 seconds of confirming the lane change with indicator stalk otherwise it will abort the manoeuvre? Delayed torque detection can result in the car aborting lane change mid manoeuvre as the car must complete its manoeuvre within a certain short period of time - you timeout, if you are lucky you get an onscreen message, if un lucky, the car suddenly veers back into the lane its just come from, irrespective of whether a following vehicle is about to fill that space.

Well, it seems automatic lane changing "works" in the EU. It's just intentionally crippled. My initial point was to show Tesla's superior autonomy features right now.

Well, it seems automatic lane changing "works" in the EU. It's just intentionally crippled. My initial point was to show Tesla's superior autonomy features right now.

So they haven't deployed worldwide like you stated.

Route-based automatic lane changing is not a worldwide thing. Tesla do not even offer the option. It has not been deployed contrary to your claim.

Tesla has the following worldwide features that no other company has deployed (to my knowledge):

Traffic light response
Stop sign response
Route-based automatic lane changing
Automatic interchange routing
Automatic highway exiting
Large truck lane deviation

Not only have they deployed these features, but Tesla's "basic" features (TACC / Autosteer) are currently way better than the any of the competition.

Route-based automatic lane changing is not a worldwide thing. Tesla do not even offer the option. It has not been deployed contrary to your claim.

Tesla NoA will change you into correct lane based on your route.

This is done in some of the EU.

This is called automatic lane changing, even though you may need to use the stalk and keep your hands on the wheel.

I don't understand what your point is. Maybe I'm mistaken but I've seen Tesla Driver do automatic lane changes using NoA in his videos.

FYI, worldwide doesn't mean every country.

In fact, Tesla driver does a route-based automatic lane change at 10:20 here (on the Autobahn):

Last edited: