TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Musk Says Semi Will Best Specs Announced at Launch

Discussion in 'Semi' started by TMC Staff, Feb 24, 2018.

1. TMC Staff

The specs Tesla announced for its upcoming Semi outpaced the industry standard to such a degree that it raised eyebrows. Daimler AG’s head of trucks has even gone so far as to question the legitimacy of Tesla’s claims. “If Tesla really delivers on this promise, we’ll obviously buy two trucks – one to take apart and one...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Now about that 2019 date...

• Like x 1
  3. rockinghorse

rockinghorse Member

Due to high taxes on Diesel, Tesla Semi will be even more profitable in Europe.

Diesel truck consumes about 30 liters of diesel per 100 km and Diesel costs about one euro per liter due to taxes. Therefore fuel savings for the million miles are about 500 000 euros. This is why Daimler is in real trouble if they really do not have means to answer on Tesla.

In Europe there are also 60 and 75 ton trucks allowed with fuel consumption over 50 liters per 100 km. Therefore fuel savings could be closer to million euros over the life time of truck.

4. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

There has also been lots of talk about had taxes here in the US lately to help fund infrastructure repairs and improvements.

5. Peter Thomas

Peter Thomas Member

Curious how the Tesla Semi will handle steep mountains since alot of power is needed. Typically a diesel truck will not make enough power to go out of second or third gear on a real steep incline because of lack of torque, but the Tesla Semi could likely maintain speed if the driver keeps the hammer down. Is there any risk to overheating of the batteries in such a scenario? Especially if it it is a tall mountain pass...
    Also, can the semi make power on the way down the mountain? Any thoughts of putting solar panels on the trailer for on the go charging? Not sure what area of PV panels is needed to make it worth while.

Incredible job Elon and Tesla staff,

Another paradigm shift.

Peter

I'm an absolute beginner
    But I'm absolutely sane
    As long as we're together

But we're absolute beginners
    With eyes completely open
    But nervous all the same

6. Rowan256

Rowan256 Member

I still hope he will make a truck with the steering wheel on the left side, so it will become much more easy to overtake, or see what's going on in front of the truck in front of you. I also can't wait to actually see the thing charging up with 1600kWh, which sounds ridiculous to me.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Conclusion: never ask an Economist to comment on physics

• Funny x 2
  8. Brando

Brando Member

#8 Brando, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    June 2016 was 1.2 Euros and Feb. 2017 1.4 Euro and peak average at 1.49 Euros in 2012
    fine chart
    Diesel prices in Germany 2000-2017 | Statistic

Fuel taxes in Germany are €0.4704 per litre for ultra-low sulphur Diesel and €0.6545 per litre for conventional unleaded petrol
    Fuel tax - Wikipedia
    The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel. The federal tax was last raised in 1993 and is not indexed to inflation, which increased by a total of 64.6 percent from 1993 until 2015. On average, as of January 2017, state and local taxes and fees add $0.3104 .

• Like x 1
  9. Peter Thomas

Peter Thomas Member

One suggestion: you may want to make the autonomous driving feature truck driver friendly. Companies like Amazon not thinking of job displacement are likely to face a back lash at some point. As Elon said disruptive technology should have an overall benefit to society. I recently got a Lyft ride from an older gentleman who was worried about autonomous driving taking his job. We all need to think about the affects of technology and focus on doing the right thing for all of us on planet earth.

10. Peter Thomas

Peter Thomas Member

Elon and Staff,
    Why not offer the truck with the seat on the left side as an option? I am not sure that F-1 seating is appropriate for a Semi. Has anyone studied whether or not the center seat makes things safer for the cars around the truck? I have to agree that sitting on the left side of the car has its advantages since you can see past big trucks that are in front of you. Rowan, your point is well taken.

Peter

11. Reciprocity

Your blog site is unusable. Just keeps refreshing the page over and over. Have never once been able to read any of your articles. Assumed it would have been fixed or more complaints. Maybe it's just me though I have the same issue on every computer I own and my cellphone.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. Brando

Brando Member

13. Ticobird

Ticobird Member

I am not being negative but I am convinced there is a qualifier (like maybe while platooning) Elon is not mentioning with respect to his statement of "energy consumption of less than 2 kWh per mile."

14. RichardL

RichardL Member

I have exactly the same issue - simply not possible to read

15. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

I've had the same problem since the beginning. To read stuff, I have to hit the X on the browser to stop loading (Esc also works).

But can anyone parse the subject line on this post? I sure can't.

• Helpful x 2
  16. Reciprocity

Yes Elon said on Twitter last night that he expects the final specs to be better then already announced last year.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

BEST is a verb ;-)

I feel like reporting the OP for crappy reporting though, since the article clearly states that Musk is optimistic the actual Semi Specs will be better than those mentioned at launch. It is no where near a statement of fact.

• Like x 1
  18. sergey021

sergey021 New Member

Take easy with so many banners and ad cookies. Blog page keep refreshing indefinitely

19. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Same here

20. Ticobird

Ticobird Member

Reading the article works fine on my Microsoft desktop PC using the Chrome browser.