Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Semi Will Best Specs Announced at Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The specs Tesla announced for its upcoming Semi outpaced the industry standard to such a degree that it raised eyebrows. Daimler AG’s head of trucks has even gone so far as to question the legitimacy of Tesla’s claims.

“If Tesla really delivers on this promise, we’ll obviously buy two trucks – one to take apart and one to test because if that happens, something has passed us by,” Martin Daum said at an industry event this week, according to Bloomberg. “But for now, the same laws of physics apply.”

Tesla has said the Semi is capable of  0 to 60 mph in 20 seconds with an 80,000 pound load; Speed up a 5% Grade at 60 mph; 300 or 500 miles of range depending on the model; energy consumption of less than 2 kWh per mile; and fuel savings of more than $200,000 over a million miles.

Now, in the face of naysayers, Elon Musk is saying the Semi will do better than the first specs announced.

“Am feeling optimistic about beating the Semi specs announced at the unveiling for the same price,” he said Friday in a tweet. “The Tesla Semi will be something really special.”

The Tesla Semi is slated to go into production next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to high taxes on Diesel, Tesla Semi will be even more profitable in Europe.

Diesel truck consumes about 30 liters of diesel per 100 km and Diesel costs about one euro per liter due to taxes. Therefore fuel savings for the million miles are about 500 000 euros. This is why Daimler is in real trouble if they really do not have means to answer on Tesla.

In Europe there are also 60 and 75 ton trucks allowed with fuel consumption over 50 liters per 100 km. Therefore fuel savings could be closer to million euros over the life time of truck.

Curious how the Tesla Semi will handle steep mountains since alot of power is needed. Typically a diesel truck will not make enough power to go out of second or third gear on a real steep incline because of lack of torque, but the Tesla Semi could likely maintain speed if the driver keeps the hammer down. Is there any risk to overheating of the batteries in such a scenario? Especially if it it is a tall mountain pass...
Also, can the semi make power on the way down the mountain? Any thoughts of putting solar panels on the trailer for on the go charging? Not sure what area of PV panels is needed to make it worth while.

Incredible job Elon and Tesla staff,

Another paradigm shift.

Peter

I'm an absolute beginner
But I'm absolutely sane
As long as we're together

But we're absolute beginners
With eyes completely open
But nervous all the same

I still hope he will make a truck with the steering wheel on the left side, so it will become much more easy to overtake, or see what's going on in front of the truck in front of you. I also can't wait to actually see the thing charging up with 1600kWh, which sounds ridiculous to me.

Diesel truck consumes about 30 liters of diesel per 100 km and Diesel costs about one euro per liter due to taxes. Therefore fuel savings for the million miles are about 500 000 euros. This is why Daimler is in real trouble if they really do not have means to answer on Tesla.
June 2016 was 1.2 Euros and Feb. 2017 1.4 Euro and peak average at 1.49 Euros in 2012
fine chart
Diesel prices in Germany 2000-2017 | Statistic

Fuel taxes in Germany are €0.4704 per litre for ultra-low sulphur Diesel and €0.6545 per litre for conventional unleaded petrol
Fuel tax - Wikipedia
The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel. The federal tax was last raised in 1993 and is not indexed to inflation, which increased by a total of 64.6 percent from 1993 until 2015. On average, as of January 2017, state and local taxes and fees add $0.3104 .

Last edited:
Reactions: Reciprocity
One suggestion: you may want to make the autonomous driving feature truck driver friendly. Companies like Amazon not thinking of job displacement are likely to face a back lash at some point. As Elon said disruptive technology should have an overall benefit to society. I recently got a Lyft ride from an older gentleman who was worried about autonomous driving taking his job. We all need to think about the affects of technology and focus on doing the right thing for all of us on planet earth.

I still hope he will make a truck with the steering wheel on the left side, so it will become much more easy to overtake, or see what's going on in front of the truck in front of you. I also can't wait to actually see the thing charging up with 1600kWh, which sounds ridiculous to me.

Elon and Staff,
Why not offer the truck with the seat on the left side as an option? I am not sure that F-1 seating is appropriate for a Semi. Has anyone studied whether or not the center seat makes things safer for the cars around the truck? I have to agree that sitting on the left side of the car has its advantages since you can see past big trucks that are in front of you. Rowan, your point is well taken.

Peter

The specs Tesla announced for its upcoming Semi outpaced the industry standard to such a degree that it raised eyebrows. Daimler AG’s head of trucks has even gone so far as to question the legitimacy of Tesla’s claims. “If Tesla really delivers on this promise, we’ll obviously buy two trucks – one to take apart and one...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/02/24/musk-says-semi-will-best-specs-announced-at-launch/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Your blog site is unusable. Just keeps refreshing the page over and over. Have never once been able to read any of your articles. Assumed it would have been fixed or more complaints. Maybe it's just me though I have the same issue on every computer I own and my cellphone.

But can anyone parse the subject line on this post? I sure can't.
BEST is a verb ;-)

I feel like reporting the OP for crappy reporting though, since the article clearly states that Musk is optimistic the actual Semi Specs will be better than those mentioned at launch. It is no where near a statement of fact.
Am feeling optimistic about beating the Semi specs announced at the unveiling for the same price

Reactions: ThisIsTrue