Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Tesla Made 7,000 Cars Last Week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla narrowly missed its goal of producing 5,000 Model 3 vehicles by the end of the quarter, but made huge improvements in production volume.

Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted that the company built 7,000 vehicles in a week, which included all models. Reuters reported that Tesla hit the 5,000 cars mark for Model 3 “several hours after the midnight goal,” while Bloomberg reported that the company is in a good position to reach 6,000 Model 3s a week next month.

“Not only did we factory gate over 5000 Model 3’s, but we also achieved the S & X production target for a combined 7000 vehicle week!,” Musk said in an email to all employees obtained by Bloomberg. “What’s more, with the widespread productivity gains throughout Tesla and the new production lines spooling up, we are on track to reach 6K/week for Model 3 next month.”

The Model 3 is Tesla’s vehicle for the masses, an effort to make electric vehicles commonplace in parking lots and roadways around the country. But, production has been a major thorn for the company. Tesla originally planned to hit 5,000 vehicles per week at the end of 2017, but bottlenecks in manufacturing pushed that date out further and further. Musk said the production line now has the right balance of automation and human workers to solve for those delays.

The company also constructed a third assembly line in a giant tent that has helped ramp production. Musk has reportedly been staying at the plan around the clock to oversee the big push to 5,000. It will be interesting to see if the company can sustain, and hopefully improve production gains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proud owner here. Congratulations to all at Tesla. Wish I could have helped even more and thanks for the best ride ever!

Maybe Elon's mention on twitter didn't get enough notice. It really spells out the forces at play. I'm not selling stock yet, not even close. I think I speak for many believers... not just a car company, but the future has arrived.

The War on Tesla, Musk, and the Fight for the Future

• Informative
Reactions: Brando