Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Thursday’s Semi Truck Event Will ‘Blow Your Mind’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has introduced a catchy tagline for the upcoming Tesla Semi – it “will blow your mind clear out of your skull and into an alternate dimension.”

The company is set to unveil the truck Thursday at a livestreamed event starting at 8 p.m. PT (11 p.m. ET). Musk tweeted Sunday about the event.

Musk has been hyping the Tesla Semi hard. He previously called the truck a “beast” and “unreal.”

Little is known about the truck beyond a few reports of range and some possible photos of a prototype.

Screen-Shot-2017-10-03-at-10.16.34-AM.png

Reports have suggested the truck will have a range of 200-300-miles, is intended for short trips, and will include some self-driving capabilities. Musk says the truck’s specs are better than reported.

While it’s exciting to see Tesla introduce a new vehicle, the company’s current production woes likely complicate the timeline for the Tesla Semi. It’s also unclear where the vehicle will be manufactured, as Tesla’s current facilities are maxed out. It will be interesting to see if the Tesla Semi program will be housed in a new factory.

Last edited by a moderator:
This particular tweet and Musk's penchant for hyperbole - lets call it Muskbole, which is beyond hyperbole - has already blown my mind clear out of my skull into another dimension.

Musk's tweet are getting into Trump's territory.

• Funny
Reactions: outie
This particular tweet and Musk's penchant for hyperbole - lets call it Muskbole, which is beyond hyperbole - has already blown my mind clear out of my skull into another dimension.

Musk's tweet are getting into Trump's territory.

I've felt that way about Musk for a while. He is like a Trump with his grandiose showboating, but I want Elon to succeed. But I share no excitement for this reveal as I keep waiting, as patiently as I can, for my Model 3. He always promises the sun and the moon, and while he gets there, it's always late, late, late. He is terrible about managing expectations.

Am I ultimately glad there will be a semi truck? Yes, but it does not make me feel any better for Tesla or my reservation

Reactions: 1 person
It's been a while since he proclaimed something extravagant (probably people inside told him not to keep making promises we can't keep) and so I'm hopeful for something awesome.

I'm really hoping for that 9.0 release. Maybe more software details at this event.

Reactions: gregoryg
My updatet expectations:
- 4 motors, one per rear wheel, no differentials (electronic wheel speed control), 1000HP
- passive front axel, just steering and ABS brakes
- 6 M3LR batteries, 480kWh, easily swappable if need be
- 6 'internal' SC connectors, one per battery, allowing for total ~1MW of charging power, through a 'combined' and automated charging port under the truck
- lower tractor wheight than big diesel trucks
- %50 higher purchase price than diesel truck, 30% lower TCO
- range? enough for most use cases

Overnight charging at depots should be more than sufficient for day work, intermodal, and all manner of local and some regional courier services.

That’s a huge set of market segments without needing/using a single interstate (distance) SC.

For example, the Ports of Los Angeles & Long Beach (largest combined port complex on the continent) have a spiffy new plan to replace diesel trucks with, presumably, some mix of electric, hydrogen, and CNG by 2040. Yes, there’s a hydrogen fueling station down there already *twitch*. Point being that thousands of diesel-belching trucks will need to be replaced, and most don’t travel very far at all - they all haul shipping containers on available trailers, however.

Tangentially, more dockside electrical power for both container ships and cruise ships would go a long way toward better air quality as well.

I hope Elon spends some time describing some of the different markets this truck could be an immediate hit in with the purported 200-300 mile range. Over the road is just one application that would be seemingly more feasible as range increases and charging time decreases (see MW charging).