Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Suggests 2020 Roadster Will Levitate With SpaceX Parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter this week that the next version of the company’s Roadster sports car could hover over the ground with the help of thrusters borrowed from his rocket company.

Musk was responding to a follower who sent him a GIF of the flying Delorean from “Back to the Future” movies. “The new Roadster will actually do something like this,” he commented. Pushed on whether he was kidding, Musk said he was not.

“Will use SpaceX cold gas thruster system with ultra high pressure air in a composite over-wrapped pressure vessel in place of the 2 rear seats,” Musk wrote.

He later added that “you can basically accelerate at the limit of human endurance.”

Musk previously mentioned a “SpaceX option” for the new Roadster that would add 10 rocket thrusters to aid in braking, speed and cornering. Hovering, however, is a feature not previously mentioned.

And, the Roadster is not short of impressive features. Planned for production in 2020, the car will speed to more than 250 mph, boast a 0-60 mph time of 1.9 seconds, a quarter-mile time of 8.9 seconds, and a range of more than 600 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The new Roadster will actually do something like this"

These are the exact words. Note that Mr. Musk did not write; The new Roadster will actually do this.

This is a big difference this blog is not mentioning but rather stoking the readers attention. I would venture "something like" might actually mean the opposite of what readers think, e.g., rather than pushing down to lighten the vehicle the CGT's might be oriented upwards increasing downforce and allowing faster acceleration whether straight or turning.

Funding Secured ;)
1-10-2019 2-56-54 PM.png

Hovering was also mentioned from the start, when he said something like "Not saying it will fly, but maybe short hops". Maybe have speculated about the hovering capabilities. Now, he he can make that a useful function as well, that would be awesome. Otherwise, it's just an extremely expensive party trick.

For my small mind, the only thing that seems possible to me is using air jets to lower air pressure under the car, which would result in higher down pressure which (like a spoiler) result in higher traction for both acceleration and cornering.

Now is it possible to do such a thing? I'm not sure.
- acceleration only needs 1-2 seconds, i'd guess
- cornering about the same, right?

For my small mind, the only thing that seems possible to me is using air jets to lower air pressure under the car, which would result in higher down pressure which (like a spoiler) result in higher traction for both acceleration and cornering.

Now is it possible to do such a thing? I'm not sure.
- acceleration only needs 1-2 seconds, i'd guess
- cornering about the same, right?
I actually tweeted Elon the same question about accelerating the air underneath the car to increase the Venturi effect and increase grip. You wouldn't want to be driving behind the car when active, I guess. Any rocks and pebbles will be shot straight into the car behind you