Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
May 19, 2017
Tesla’s upcoming Model S Plaid variant will include a seven-seat configuration, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet. 

Replying to a Twitter user praising Tesla sedans, Musk said the Model S Plaid will be Tesla’s “best car ever.” And, he reminisced on a family road trip with 5 kids and two adults in a Model S. Tesla previously offered a seven-seat version of the original Model S.

I once did a road trip across most of US with 2 adults & 5 kids in a Model S!— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) March 23, 2021

Back in October 2019, Musk teased a Model S with three motors dubbed the “Plaid” edition, which reportedly bested the Porsche Taycan’s record run at the famed Nürburgring race track in Germany by 20 seconds. He also said the car would have “roomier” rear-facing jumpseats. 

No, original 5 forward facing seats plus 2 rear-facing smaller seats. The new rear seats will accommodate larger...

Continue reading...

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Holy Yoke Wheels - Elon is smoking some kind of illicit substance if he thinks an adult is going to squeeze themselves into the rear-facing seats for some kind of 300 mile jaunt across the prairie.

I can speak from experience with my early Model S with the rear-facing seats... they're a nice thing to have for an occasional short trip for a young'un. But let's not talk road trip approved for so many reasons...

BigNick

Disaffected Member
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I hope the car has sensors to determine if the rear seat is occupied before allowing a full-power launch. Or the rear-facing seats have built-in head restraints to prevent violent forward snapping of the head and neck (like a HANS device.)

Reactions: MichaelP90DL

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I think Musk needs to shut his pie hole and someone on Twitter should ask about 3rd row ventilation. The jump seats never had proper ventilation, and I dare anyone to ask him how his kids handled the lack of circulated air while sitting in a greenhouse. He might be a so-called genius, but the basics seem to escape his brilliance.

Marketing the Model S as having a usable third row is egregiously false advertising and an embarrassment to the brand.

Reactions: Cleo-n-Company
Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
I think Musk needs to shut his pie hole and someone on Twitter should ask about 3rd row ventilation. The jump seats never had proper ventilation, and I dare anyone to ask him how his kids handled the lack of circulated air while sitting in a greenhouse. He might be a so-called genius, but the basics seem to escape his brilliance.

Marketing the Model S as having a usable third row is egregiously false advertising and an embarrassment to the brand.
Amen to that my friend. I see you also have a 2013.

Yes indeed - stick any oxygen requiring human in the back on a Summer day in Sacramento - they will be screaming for release within seconds.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL

aerodyne

Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
Holy Yoke Wheels - Elon is smoking some kind of illicit substance if he thinks an adult is going to squeeze themselves into the rear-facing seats for some kind of 300 mile jaunt across the prairie.

I can speak from experience with my early Model S with the rear-facing seats... they're a nice thing to have for an occasional short trip for a young'un. But let's not talk road trip approved for so many reasons...
I would only use it for launches so a whole family can experience plaid mode.

Talk about an "E" ticket ride...

aerodyne

Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles

Bring back the sunroof!

aerodyne

Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
I hope the car has sensors to determine if the rear seat is occupied before allowing a full-power launch. Or the rear-facing seats have built-in head restraints to prevent violent forward snapping of the head and neck (like a HANS device.)
Good point, but that would ruin all the fun...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC