Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Talks Up Seven-Seater Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s upcoming Model S Plaid variant will include a seven-seat configuration, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet. 

Replying to a Twitter user praising Tesla sedans, Musk said the Model S Plaid will be Tesla’s “best car ever.” And, he reminisced on a family road trip with 5 kids and two adults in a Model S. Tesla previously offered a seven-seat version of the original Model S.

Back in October 2019, Musk teased a Model S with three motors dubbed the “Plaid” edition, which reportedly bested the Porsche Taycan’s record run at the famed Nürburgring race track in Germany by 20 seconds. He also said the car would have “roomier” rear-facing jumpseats. 

Tesla says the Model S Plaid will have the longest range and quickest acceleration of any electric vehicle in production. With updated battery architecture, Tesla says the cars are capable of consistent 1/4 mile runs. First deliveries are expected in 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Yoke Wheels - Elon is smoking some kind of illicit substance if he thinks an adult is going to squeeze themselves into the rear-facing seats for some kind of 300 mile jaunt across the prairie.

I can speak from experience with my early Model S with the rear-facing seats... they're a nice thing to have for an occasional short trip for a young'un. But let's not talk road trip approved for so many reasons...

I think Musk needs to shut his pie hole and someone on Twitter should ask about 3rd row ventilation. The jump seats never had proper ventilation, and I dare anyone to ask him how his kids handled the lack of circulated air while sitting in a greenhouse. He might be a so-called genius, but the basics seem to escape his brilliance.

Marketing the Model S as having a usable third row is egregiously false advertising and an embarrassment to the brand.

Reactions: Cleo-n-Company
I think Musk needs to shut his pie hole and someone on Twitter should ask about 3rd row ventilation. The jump seats never had proper ventilation, and I dare anyone to ask him how his kids handled the lack of circulated air while sitting in a greenhouse. He might be a so-called genius, but the basics seem to escape his brilliance.

Marketing the Model S as having a usable third row is egregiously false advertising and an embarrassment to the brand.
Amen to that my friend. I see you also have a 2013.

Yes indeed - stick any oxygen requiring human in the back on a Summer day in Sacramento - they will be screaming for release within seconds.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Holy Yoke Wheels - Elon is smoking some kind of illicit substance if he thinks an adult is going to squeeze themselves into the rear-facing seats for some kind of 300 mile jaunt across the prairie.

I can speak from experience with my early Model S with the rear-facing seats... they're a nice thing to have for an occasional short trip for a young'un. But let's not talk road trip approved for so many reasons...
I would only use it for launches so a whole family can experience plaid mode.

Talk about an "E" ticket ride...

Bring back the sunroof!