Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Teases Features of Tesla’s Version 10 Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s Version 10 software will start rolling out as early as next month, Chief Executive Elon Musk said.

“Depends on how release to owners with early access goes, but hopefully wide release by end of August,” Musk said on Twitter in a reply to a question about when to expect deployment of the software.

Musk also teased several new features included in the release, such as new games, streaming video options, and improvements to self-driving features like Autopilot and Smart Summon.

Streaming video is sure to be a popular feature, since major platforms like Netflix and YouTube will be available on the Tesla dashboard.

“Ability to stream YouTube & Netflix when car is stopped coming to your Tesla soon! Has an amazingly immersive, cinematic feel due to the comfy seats & surround sound audio,” Musk said on Twitter. “[Coming in] Maybe August, not more than a few months.”

Tesla released Version 9 software in September 2018, which was the first significant overhaul in years. It seems the company believes the next update is hefty enough for a new numbered version.

What features would you like to see in the new software?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to be able choose what 3 quick buttons are on the 'cards' screen. Personally I do not care for the charging button there. I would like the fog light button, or maybe the phone.

And I'd like to control the heating/cooling fan without opening the entire window. I want to drag left or right over the fan icon.
Yes, a configurable UI would be excellent. Something like Cascading Style Sheets would be a step in the right direction.

I would like AM radio stations and the radio to be turned off a previously mentioned, along with overhead camera view position.

I would like the radio section of the screen to be smaller or less prominent.

The battery percentage along with range to be always on screen without having to go to several steps to be visible. Especially more important with the previous apps that reduced range. My 90 D went from 80% 220 range to now 199 range both at 80% with the download.

Voice controls for heated steering wheels and seat heaters/ coolers would be great.

The games are of no use, would appreciate more programming that actually benefits the operator.

I would like AM radio stations and the radio to be turned off a previously mentioned, along with overhead camera view position.

I would like the radio section of the screen to be smaller or less prominent.

The battery percentage along with range to be always on screen without having to go to several steps to be visible. Especially more important with the previous apps that reduced range. My 90 D went from 80% 220 range to now 199 range both at 80% with the download.

Voice controls for heated steering wheels and seat heaters/ coolers would be great.

The games are of no use, would appreciate more programming that actually benefits the operator.
Yes, I believe removing the AM stations was a mistake. So convenient to have.

Reactions: 233.3 and lardog
V10!? Please show me a UI that is finally worthy of being a real CAR DRIVER interface, you know, to access functions quickly with ease and less distraction and menu digging and pecking.

Make the text labels and touch targets BIGGER to see them at a glance. Without reaching for reading glasses first. The hit zones should be designed so you can poke at them with peripheral vision. Take that as a design challenge. The screen real estate is there!! USE IT. Tiny labels centered in a box area of non distinct shape... this is tragic UI design faux pas for a car.

Add color!
Bring back the color please. The V9 diluted milky muted grey tones of everything looks like crap on my model S ... who killed the contrast in the UI. Why is nothing black anymore. Why is red now pink? Adjusting brightness does nothing to help. More ubiquitous milky grey sea of text and pictures. OMG who picked that color pallette?

Basic stuff Tesla, focus on the basics please.

Keep your V10 back until you address these things.

Please. Make. the. car. usable.

Last edited:
V10!? Please show me a UI that is finally worthy of being a real CAR DRIVER interface, you know, to access functions quickly with ease and less distraction and menu digging and pecking.

Make the text labels and touch targets BIGGER to see them at a glance. Without reaching for reading glasses first. The hit zones should be designed so you can poke at them with peripheral vision. Take that as a design challenge.

Am I the only person who loves the current interface? It's extremely clean and easy to read for me. Even at long distance. What it sounds like to me, is that you need an E-Z SCREEN READ mode.

I have no problems using the current interface without looking at it for more than a split second.

Am I the only person who loves the current interface? It's extremely clean and easy to read for me. Even at long distance. What it sounds like to me, is that you need an E-Z SCREEN READ mode.

I have no problems using the current interface without looking at it for more than a split second.

Love is a strong word for this piece of work. You're not (related to) the developer are you?!

Ahh... that's the reason why you're OK with it... you're not looking at it!Ahh... that's the reason why you're OK with it... you're not looking at it!

jokes aside..

Keep in mind - there's a big difference of the UI in my model 3 (what you got) and my model S. It is better in the model 3. They didn't mangle the color as bad.

We do need an E-Z screen in a car. It shouldn't have to be a "mode" for old folks when it can be instilled into the design throughout. It's possible to do this in an attractive way.

Tesla is confusing it as a fun tablet for playing games on and ignoring its main purposes.

I am not backing down from this stance until I see something significantly better in V10. I've used the UI since 6.2 and yes, many things were demonstrably better back then. It seems the current UI "talent" is not really driving the car to test their stuff... they're just working at a desk. It shows.

Last edited:
Don't we already have that feature?

Sadly no. The current version only offers a START time. There's no way to program the car to STOP charging when your Time of Use rates change.

For example.
  • Set the car to charge at 12 AM
  • Off peak rates change to On-Peak at 6 AM
  • The car takes 8 hours to charge (slow charge rate or whatever)
  • There's no way to have the car automatically stop charging at 6 AM. It will continue until 8 AM.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Sadly no. The current version only offers a START time. There's no way to program the car to STOP charging when your Time of Use rates change.

For example.
  • Set the car to charge at 12 AM
  • Off peak rates change to On-Peak at 6 AM
  • The car takes 8 hours to charge (slow charge rate or whatever)
  • There's no way to have the car automatically stop charging at 6 AM. It will continue until 8 AM.

TeslaFi will let you schedule charge stops if that is something you need (and you can also specify it only stop if you are above x%). I'm sure there are other services that will do the same.

The voice recognition and the on screen menu that pops up when placcing voice calls needs work. First the system needs to be better at identifying the specific contact so I do not have to scroll to find the person I want to call. Second, if I say mobile, home, etc. it should dial that number on the correct person's contact. Then if selecting from a list is necessary all the top options need to be visible on the screen, so there is no scrolling needed. The same goes for the list of numbers once the contact is selected.

Last edited:
TeslaFi will let you schedule charge stops if that is something you need (and you can also specify it only stop if you are above x%). I'm sure there are other services that will do the same.
Thanks for this...

If I do a lot of driving early in the morning I like to plug in when I get home to get some miles back before noon when the rates go up.

Make the text labels and touch targets BIGGER to see them at a glance. Without reaching for reading glasses first. The hit zones should be designed so you can poke at them with peripheral vision. Take that as a design challenge. The screen real estate is there!! USE IT. Tiny labels centered in a box area of non distinct shape... this is tragic UI design faux pas for a car.

Add color!
Bring back the color please. The V9 diluted milky muted grey tones of everything looks like crap on my model S ... who killed the contrast in the UI. Why is nothing black anymore. Why is red now pink? Adjusting brightness does nothing to help. More ubiquitous milky grey sea of text and pictures. OMG who picked that color pallette?

Basic stuff Tesla, focus on the basics please.

Keep your V10 back until you address these things.

Please. Make. the. car. usable.

Reactions: lardog