Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Teases Features of Tesla’s Version 10 Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s Version 10 software will start rolling out as early as next month, Chief Executive Elon Musk said.

“Depends on how release to owners with early access goes, but hopefully wide release by end of August,” Musk said on Twitter in a reply to a question about when to expect deployment of the software.

Musk also teased several new features included in the release, such as new games, streaming video options, and improvements to self-driving features like Autopilot and Smart Summon.

Streaming video is sure to be a popular feature, since major platforms like Netflix and YouTube will be available on the Tesla dashboard.

“Ability to stream YouTube & Netflix when car is stopped coming to your Tesla soon! Has an amazingly immersive, cinematic feel due to the comfy seats & surround sound audio,” Musk said on Twitter. “[Coming in] Maybe August, not more than a few months.”

Tesla released Version 9 software in September 2018, which was the first significant overhaul in years. It seems the company believes the next update is hefty enough for a new numbered version.

What features would you like to see in the new software?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most interesting to me are advanced summon, stop sign/light recognition, and anything that inched us toward FSD. Also, convenience items like more voice commands for ordinary functions like, as mentioned, the glovebox. I’m not interested in eye-candy or games. As for entertainment while charging, why not get your Hulu, Netflix etc. from your phone, but be able to Bluetooth it to the vehicle screen. I am not technically able to assess this. But it seems to me we already have what we need for games or entertainment on our mobile devices. Why should Tesla be taking its time and energy to duplicate that on the car screen? Just give us a way to access the screen from our mobile device. What am I missing in that suggestion?

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
Most interesting to me are advanced summon, stop sign/light recognition, and anything that inched us toward FSD. Also, convenience items like more voice commands for ordinary functions like, as mentioned, the glovebox. I’m not interested in eye-candy or games. As for entertainment while charging, why not get your Hulu, Netflix etc. from your phone, but be able to Bluetooth it to the vehicle screen. I am not technically able to assess this. But it seems to me we already have what we need for games or entertainment on our mobile devices. Why should Tesla be taking its time and energy to duplicate that on the car screen? Just give us a way to access the screen from our mobile device. What am I missing in that suggestion?

Well as far as using your phone for video, the screen casting would be the tough part. You can already get the audio from your phone to the screen but I think you need a special app to do the screen part. I mean, yeah, I can watch YouTube on my phone and I will very rarely take long trips and spend time at the SuperCharger anyway. So I could live without YouTube and Netflix. But if they are going to add it, I will enjoy having it.

Features I would like to see:
- Voice commands for functions that are cumbersome to do on the touch screen while driving - "Save Video Clip", "Open Glove Box",

- Ability to adjust the sensitivity of "Auto" Wipers setting.

- Allow weather radar to overlay the GPS navigation screen, to avoid storms or heavy rain.

A good list. I would really love the weather radar overlay. I got spoiled with that on my old Lexus IS350 FSport.

Reactions: mikebixby
Would like to see a couple of things:

1. Jazz up the dash cam support so that it always really records, and manages the file storage on the attached drive correctly. Tired of missing days of records ...
2. Correct the display of neighboring traffic on the heads-up display so that nearby vehicles are not jittering/rotating.

The only feature I want is the ability to turn OFF the "radio". The ridiculous media screen shows up when I get in the car regardless of the previous states and automatically starts playing audio, even if the audio was stopped when I left the car. It connects to my iPhone and plays audio without any action from me and even when the phone isn't the selected media source. I have given up listening to audio books because the stupid car will connect to the phone and play the audio book in the background and I lose my place.

It is a truly awful experience and I cannot be the only person with a Tesla that prefers to drive in silence without the media screen open all the time.

The only feature I want is the ability to turn OFF the "radio". The ridiculous media screen shows up when I get in the car regardless of the previous states and automatically starts playing audio, even if the audio was stopped when I left the car. It connects to my iPhone and plays audio without any action from me and even when the phone isn't the selected media source. I have given up listening to audio books because the stupid car will connect to the phone and play the audio book in the background and I lose my place.

It is a truly awful experience and I cannot be the only person with a Tesla that prefers to drive in silence without the media screen open all the time.

That is strange, mine does not do that. Although to be fair, I don't tend to listen to my phone, I stream or listen to USB. But those both stay off when I turn them off. Maybe it's just a phone thing?

Yeah, I have a classic Model S, but I do have a 4G LTE chip, and yet the browser is still PAINFULLY slow. How the heck is it gonna stream YouTube and Netflix? I guess what I'd like to see is a much faster browser.

I also have the same issue with the audio as @cartwright does.

Agree, browser and associated keyboard are pretty weak. Hopeful improvements will come via update.

I would really love to see voice commands enabled to allow control of various aspects of the car without having to take my eyes off the road and delve through menus. For example turning on the steering wheel heater, or raising the suspension or turning on the rear seat heaters.
This would give the Tesla another real point of difference with the approaching competition.

I'm 100% with you... Silence is golden!