Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Touts ‘Quantum Leap” in Full Self-Driving Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A “quantum leap” improvement is coming to Tesla’s Autopilot software in six to 10 weeks, Chief Executive Elon Musk said a tweet.

Musk called the new software a “fundamental architectural rewrite, not an incremental tweak.”

Musk said his personal car is running a “bleeding edge alpha build” of the software, which he also mentioned during Tesla’s Q2 earnings. 

“So it’s almost getting to the point where I can go from my house to work with no interventions, despite going through construction and widely varying situations,” Musk said on the earnings call. “So this is why I am very confident about full self-driving functionality being complete by the end of this year, is because I’m literally driving it.”

Tesla’s Full Self-Driving software has been slow to roll out against the company’s promises. Musk previously said a Tesla would drive from Los Angeles to New York using the Full Self Driving feature by the end of 2019. The company didn’t meet that goal. So, it will be interesting to see the state of Autopilot at the end of 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am suppressing my "inner fanboy" because if we set expectations too high, we are likely to be disappointed. Let's not forget that Elon called Smart Summon "magical" and said it would "blow our minds". And we all know Smart Summon fell way short of that when it was first released. Elon is great at hype. And he admits that he cannot quite do his work-home commute free of disengagements so we know the rewrite won't be able to handle everything. My guess is that the rewrite will be a big improvement over what we have now and it will do turns at intersections. So some simple commutes will have zero disengagements. But I suspect there will be plenty of situations that the rewrite cannot handle.

Yes, that is the physics definition of "quantum" but Merriam-Webster defines "quantum leap" as "an abrupt change, sudden increase, or dramatic advance". In context, that is how Elon is using the term. He is trying to say that the rewrite will be an abrupt, sudden, dramatic improvement.

kmiqyXA.png

A “quantum leap” improvement is coming to Tesla’s Autopilot software in six to 10 weeks, Chief Executive Elon Musk said a tweet. Musk called the new software a “fundamental architectural rewrite, not an incremental tweak.” The FSD improvement will come as a quantum leap, because it’s a fundamental architectural rewrite, not an incremental tweak. I drive...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/08/15/musk-touts-quantum-leap-in-full-self-driving-performance/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Elon still living on the factory floor? If so I believe him.

The rewrite is Tesla's last chance at redemption on FSD.
Tesla will have several more rewrites and several more hardware updates before succeeding. You might think others are close, but I doubt it, I also hope I'm wrong. Who do think is their closest competitor? Mobileye? Have they announced a timeline that is credible? Their timeline from 2018 went to ashes.

Last edited:
Tesla will have several more rewrites and several more hardware updates before succeeding. You might think others are close, but I doubt it, I also hope I'm wrong. Who do think is their closest competitor? Mobileye? Have they announced a timeline that is credible? Their timeline from 2018 went to ashes.

There's no "competitor" imo. All the fsd development companies are trying to expand the bleeding edge of NN research and implementation. None of them will succeed until they've achieved the 999s with machine learning approaches. IMO, Tesla has the most convincing reliability and accuracy with their NN with the release of the traffic control feature.

I am suppressing my "inner fanboy" because if we set expectations too high, we are likely to be disappointed. Let's not forget that Elon called Smart Summon "magical" and said it would "blow our minds". And we all know Smart Summon fell way short of that when it was first released. Elon is great at hype. And he admits that he cannot quite do his work-home commute free of disengagements so we know the rewrite won't be able to handle everything. My guess is that the rewrite will be a big improvement over what we have now and it will do turns at intersections. So some simple commutes will have zero disengagements. But I suspect there will be plenty of situations that the rewrite cannot handle.
Maybe a quantum leap to the programmers and engineers or will current FSD drivers also be wowed, hope this isn't just pylons again.

Maybe a quantum leap to the programmers and engineers or will current FSD drivers also be wowed, hope this isn't just pylons again.

The rewrite is definitely a quantum leap in terms of how the software works since it is going from 2.5D to 4D, ie just processing images to processing video from all 8 cameras. The unknown is how good it will actually be in terms of driving features.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
6-10 weeks for “limited” public release. Let’s be super generous with adjusting Elon time to reality and say 12 weeks until we all receive the rewrite. That’s mid November.

Does anyone actually believe in the remaining 6 weeks of the year FSD will be complete for everyone?

Knowing Musk he’ll say HIS FSD is complete December 30th and limited public release will be 6-10 weeks from that date. We are all still here speculating next spring, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno
"
From my understanding, the rewrite and v11 should be out around the same time. I’m told v11 will be out about a month after the rewrite is complete. Literally don’t take this as any bit fact, but I have a hunch we may see v11 as early as late September. From my understanding v11 is running ahead of schedule. The only reason v11 may be out slightly after the rewrite is if the v11 UI relies on stuff from the rewrite. That’s my theory anyway.

The first version of the rewrite will be about the same as the current AP. A lot of new features will come really fast tho after about the first month. 90-degree turns will be in early access almost straight away. As well as smart summon is getting some huge improvements pretty fast after release. I’ve been saying, new smart summon will drive like a human. People will say “well humans drive bad”. I mean as far as moving in a parking lot. It drives with the flow most humans drive with. Whereas now summon stops randomly in the road and can’t see parking spots. With the rewrite, most people wouldn’t
"

Version 11? : teslamotors

This guy apparently has friends in the autopilot team and has had accurate leaks before.

"
From my understanding, the rewrite and v11 should be out around the same time. I’m told v11 will be out about a month after the rewrite is complete. Literally don’t take this as any bit fact, but I have a hunch we may see v11 as early as late September. From my understanding v11 is running ahead of schedule. The only reason v11 may be out slightly after the rewrite is if the v11 UI relies on stuff from the rewrite. That’s my theory anyway.

The first version of the rewrite will be about the same as the current AP. A lot of new features will come really fast tho after about the first month. 90-degree turns will be in early access almost straight away. As well as smart summon is getting some huge improvements pretty fast after release. I’ve been saying, new smart summon will drive like a human. People will say “well humans drive bad”. I mean as far as moving in a parking lot. It drives with the flow most humans drive with. Whereas now summon stops randomly in the road and can’t see parking spots. With the rewrite, most people wouldn’t
"

Version 11? : teslamotors

This guy apparently has friends in the autopilot team and has had accurate leaks before.

Thanks. That seems credible since V10 was rolled out in a similar way.

The V11 UI depending on the rewrite implies that we will be getting new FSD visualizations. Yeah!

Definitely looking forward to the new features too.

Reactions: JeffnReno