Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk tweets, traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts are in testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is the situation with Tesla, not true for everyone. Waymo has made a decision to proceed directly to Level 5, not L2, then L3, then L4. They are the technology leader right now. Just because you are aiming at Level 5 and nothing short of that, doesn't mean you can't have trained safety drivers and field tests. It does mean however that you are not selling Level 3 or Level 4 cars to the public for untrained drivers to endanger themselves and others.

Technically speaking Everybody & their Brother has been Advertising TACC & Lane Keep Assist... so it seems par for the industry

Technically speaking Everybody & their Brother has been Advertising TACC & Lane Keep Assist... so it seems par for the industry
Those are not Level 3 or Level 4 features. Nor are they sold as intermediate steps telling people those cars will self drive. TACC has been around for a long time, lane assist is more recent but nobody is confusing either with auto-pilot. They all require user attention, so for example impaired passed out drivers for example wouldn't be able to drive for miles using TACC and lane keep assist while the police is trying to pull them over. Read the article below:
Robot Cars Can’t Count on Us in an Emergency

The last part is pure hype but still very nice to know that they are working on these features. Good to know that these features have reached the development stage of testing. It is nice to get an update. Of course, development testing could take awhile, so I don't think we can say when these features will reach public release yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah right, just like he tweeted about going private. Look how that turned out! Also, why have the car drive entirely by itself without any input from the driver? Might as well just take a Uber or cab ride! A lot cheaper!
Amazing how people just gobble this FSD stuff up and truly believe governments will allow it in the near future fully.

Those are not Level 3 or Level 4 features. Nor are they sold as intermediate steps telling people those cars will self drive. TACC has been around for a long time, lane assist is more recent but nobody is confusing either with auto-pilot. They all require user attention, so for example impaired passed out drivers for example wouldn't be able to drive for miles using TACC and lane keep assist while the police is trying to pull them over. Read the article below:
Robot Cars Can’t Count on Us in an Emergency

That article about the passed out driver is Complete B.S.
If they wanted to pull over the car they simply get in front of the driver and F'n come to a stop. TACC will stop because there is "Traffic" in front of the Car...
That Drunk Driver that drove for miles??? He must have some how defeated the Nag Interval???

...the only person...

Looks like a reporter also misunderstands the same way as @emmz0r does that Autopilot will be upgraded to Fully Self Driving because the article only cites the first 2 tweets and skipped the clarification tweet.

Tweet#1:
"If you have a Tesla built in past 2 years, definitely try Navigate on Autopilot. It will blow your mind. Automatically passes slow cars & takes highway interchanges & off-ramps."

Continues to Tweet#2:
"Already testing traffic lights, stop signs & roundabouts in development software. Your Tesla will soon be able to go from your garage at home to parking at work with no driver input at all."

Last edited:
That article about the passed out driver is Complete B.S.
If they wanted to pull over the car they simply get in front of the driver and F'n come to a stop. TACC will stop because there is "Traffic" in front of the Car...
That Drunk Driver that drove for miles??? He must have some how defeated the Nag Interval???
Just because you have not seen it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Or are you saying CHP issues false statements just to make headlines? They say he drove for miles - about 7 of them before they stopped the car, likely would have gone longer if they didn't (possibly until the car encountered a concrete divider or a stopped firetruck or ambulance).
Self-driving Model S driver caught asleep and drunk by CHP

Last edited:
View attachment 359583

The last part is pure hype but still very nice to know that they are working on these features. Good to know that these features have reached the development stage of testing. It is nice to get an update. Of course, development testing could take awhile, so I don't think we can say when these features will reach public release yet.
In 2016 Elon showed the world an actual video of Tesla testing FSD which included intersection navigation, merging, etc (their might have been a roundabout in there too) so according to Elon they've been testing it for over two years now, so nothing new in the tweet. Unless of course you believe he lied then and the video was fake, in which case what makes you think someone who would fake a video to lie about this wouldn't plain tweet a lie? :confused:

Personally I'd be happy with expanded level 2 automation features that are only available as FSD features while the feature set keeps evolving; i.e. stop sign, red light, and roundabout management. I resigned myself to the fact that level 5 FSD will not happen during the life of my vehicle, though FSD "features" will be slowly metered out while I still have the car (yes I know calling it FULL self drive but only really being driver assist features is a contradiction.)

...lie...

It's a demo. Just like he showed a demo of Model X with its second row folded flat in 2012 but when Model X were delivered in 2015, its second row could no longer fold flat. It eventually does after more than a year later.

Same with the video of self driving: It was a demo which I understood that it might not be able to actually do that in an unrehearsed drive.

Elon Musk said he could do coast to coast too but he didn't want to game it.

What I understand that means if he games it by hardcoding the static well-rehearsed route, it could be done.

That is the situation with Tesla, not true for everyone. Waymo has made a decision to proceed directly to Level 5, not L2, then L3, then L4. They are the technology leader right now. Just because you are aiming at Level 5 and nothing short of that, doesn't mean you can't have trained safety drivers and field tests. It does mean however that you are not selling Level 3 or Level 4 cars to the public for untrained drivers to endanger themselves and others.

Waymo drives around with an ugly looking car with tons of expensive sensors on it in geofenced areas.
I hope the government doesn't stop us from enjoying gradual change from L2 to L5. If you don't follow the instructions nor accept the terms, you deserve a Darwin Award.

In 2016 Elon showed the world an actual video of Tesla testing FSD which included intersection navigation, merging, etc (their might have been a roundabout in there too) so according to Elon they've been testing it for over two years now, so nothing new in the tweet. Unless of course you believe he lied then and the video was fake, in which case what makes you think someone who would fake a video to lie about this wouldn't plain tweet a lie? :confused:

That was with Mobileye and they had to start over.

Waymo drives around with an ugly looking car with tons of expensive sensors on it in geofenced areas.
Lol, so now we're down you "Tesla is better because the other guys are ugly, no matter that the other guys already navigate intersections, traffic lights, roundabouts, make turns from street to street, etc". Sure, the looks is the hard thing to get right, all the other stuff, will be there probably in 3 months, 6 months for sure, right? ;)

I hope the government doesn't stop us from enjoying gradual change from L2 to L5. If you don't follow the instructions nor accept the terms, you deserve a Darwin Award.
And the people who get killed by those who don't read the instructions, what award do they get? By your evolutionary argument this would lead to people walking around with shotguns shooting at Teslas whenever a Tesla get near them, just like people learned to shoot at dangerous animals which could kill people whenever those animals approach people.

Also, read the article I referenced before, even people trained and paid to do this have trouble paying attention when the car only requires them to do something once every few months.

That was with Mobileye and they had to start over.
Excuses. Tesla created the rift so they own the results. Next you will tell me they'll have to start over again next year or in 2 years because they will have their own hardware and they can't reuse any progress made on Nvidia AP2.x. All just excuses for Elon making promises he cannot keep.

Reactions: kavyboy and am_dmd
It's a demo. Just like he showed a demo of Model X with its second row folded flat in 2012 but when Model X were delivered in 2015, its second row could no longer fold flat. It eventually does after more than a year later.

Same with the video of self driving: It was a demo which I understood that it might not be able to actually do that in an unrehearsed drive.

Elon Musk said he could do coast to coast too but he didn't want to game it.

What I understand that means if he games it by hardcoding the static well-rehearsed route, it could be done.
I never said it was a lie, just said that if it wasn't a lie that means they already have been testing roundabouts and traffic lights since then, so over 2 years now, since the demo video showed the car doing that.

Lol, so now we're down you "Tesla is better because the other guys are ugly, no matter that the other guys already navigate intersections, traffic lights, roundabouts, make turns from street to street, etc". Sure, the looks is the hard thing to get right, all the other stuff, will be there probably in 3 months, 6 months for sure, right? ;)

And the people who get killed by those who don't read the instructions, what award do they get? By your evolutionary argument this would lead to people walking around with shotguns shooting at Teslas whenever a Tesla get near them, just like people learned to shoot at dangerous animals which could kill people whenever those animals approach people.

Also, read the article I referenced before, even people trained and paid to do this have trouble paying attention when the car only requires them to do something once every few months.

Excuses. Tesla created the rift so they own the results. Next you will tell me they'll have to start over again next year or in 2 years because they will have their own hardware and they can't reuse any progress made on Nvidia AP2.x. All just excuses for Elon making promises he cannot keep.
Tesla also went with quite few staff changes. Musk is making promises based on 3 years of hardware and software development of which V9 is the first glimpse. Next year is going to be very exciting.

Next year is going to be very exciting.
I think I´ve heard the very same phrase in relation to AP for 4 years straight now :rolleyes:
all-you-have-8iyfzw.jpg

Tesla also went with quite few staff changes. Musk is making promises based on 3 years of hardware and software development of which V9 is the first glimpse. Next year is going to be very exciting.
It's always the next year that's going to be exciting. End of 2017, coast to coast FSD demo! Oups! End of 2018 for sure! Oups, end of 2019 for sure! See the pattern? In a year you'll tell us how poor Elon had to fire more people who told him it cannot be done within the timeframe he set (apparently that is the best way to get fired, tell Elon his goals and/or timelines are unrealistic). I guess that will give him constant excuses as he keeps firing people.

It's always the next year that's going to be exciting. End of 2017, coast to coast FSD demo! Oups! End of 2018 for sure! Oups, end of 2019 for sure! See the pattern? In a year you'll tell us how poor Elon had to fire more people who told him it cannot be done within the timeframe he set (apparently that is the best way to get fired, tell Elon his goals and/or timelines are unrealistic). I guess that will give him constant excuses as he keeps firing people.
I base my excitement on two developments - ongoing release of V9 and new hardware that is going to have the power of 10 current AP2.0s

No their operation is very limited. It's a different market. The cars are only able to operate within a specific geofenced area in Phoenix (the size of which Waymo declined to disclose, but is larger than 100 square miles).

And the people who get killed by those who don't read the instructions, what award do they get?

Moot point. I would equate that to normal drivers being unaware. No difference there. People killed by idiots, not Tesla.

By your evolutionary argument this would lead to people walking around with shotguns shooting at Teslas whenever a Tesla get near them, just like people learned to shoot at dangerous animals which could kill people whenever those animals approach people.

Strawman, not an argument. Do people shoot at potential drunk drivers too?

Comes with the territory. Use it or don't use it.

Might or might not have been a bad decision. Time will tell with Tesla VS other cars using MobilEye

Last edited:
Strawman, not an argument. Do people shoot at potential drunk drivers too?
People go to jail for drinking and driving. As soon there is a law that says you go to jail if you drive on AP and are not paying attention (you missed 2 nags in a row, and/or some other test) I'm game for letting people use it. How many people will agree to go to jail if they miss 2 nags?

People go to jail for drinking and driving. As soon there is a law that says you go to jail if you drive on AP and are not paying attention (you missed 2 nags in a row, and/or some other test) I'm game for letting people use it. How many people will agree to go to jail if they miss 2 nags?

People also go to jail for being negligent in traffic. Namely "involuntary manslaughter".