Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: "Version two of the Powerwall probably around July, August this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another of the first batch of 90 Powerwalls to reach the UK, in my garage.
View attachment 175846

and the SolarEdge web portal on day 1:
View attachment 175847
It is now set up to avoid discharging during my off-peak (=car charging) hours so it replaces more expensive day-rate power.
Will it ever pay for itself? I honestly don't care - it makes a difference to me, and that's what matters!

Congratulations! Hoping for a lot more posts like these... May I ask how much you paid?

Congratulations! Hoping for a lot more posts like these... May I ask how much you paid?
The Powerwall itself was £4500, but it was fitted to a new SolarEdge-controlled PV system so there were some SolarEdge components installed which I wouldn't have needed if I had not had the Powerwall. In other words, I could have got the same PV performance for less, using non-SolarEdge components.

Here's another of the first batch of 90 Powerwalls to reach the UK, in my garage.
View attachment 175846

and the SolarEdge web portal on day 1:
View attachment 175847
It is now set up to avoid discharging during my off-peak (=car charging) hours so it replaces more expensive day-rate power.
Will it ever pay for itself? I honestly don't care - it makes a difference to me, and that's what matters!
Looks amazing!

It would be great if you could post some statistics of your power-usage/how efficient the powerwall is. As someone who pays a brick-ton for power from the grid and get paid almost nothing to sell it this looks very interesting.

I would love more info about how much you "sell back" vs store and use.

It'll be more - one of his tweets said something about a new charger as well. Assuming he didn't mistype, that opens up the possibility of a Tesla DC car charger. ie. it hooks into the 400V DC bus between the solar panels and the battery and inverter, and draws DC before it hits the inverter, and charges the car via DC (just like a Supercharger would). In theory, if you had a big solar array, you could charge your car faster than an 80 amp, or 20 kW HPWC.

The required DC/DC converter between the stationary battery and car battery still has to have a certain power rating. I am not expecting them to exceed 20kW. Also, the rate when solar is not contributing would most likely be lower in order to avoid unreasonable C-rate discharge on the stationary battery.

It'll be more - one of his tweets said something about a new charger as well. Assuming he didn't mistype, that opens up the possibility of a Tesla DC car charger. ie. it hooks into the 400V DC bus between the solar panels and the battery and inverter, and draws DC before it hits the inverter, and charges the car via DC (just like a Supercharger would). In theory, if you had a big solar array, you could charge your car faster than an 80 amp, or 20 kW HPWC.

True if the inverter itself allowed higher than 20kW, which is doubtful. And it should be mid day and your 20kW or larger solar array is working near 100%. Better off with grid supported dual chargers and HPWC. Sure, a nice 8kW DC charger, not supercharger, could be done with non inverted DC power. But hard to find a consumer class DC inverter that would support higher power than the dual charger HPWC that currently costs less than $6500. How fast does a Tesl owner need to charge at home?

Bonaire, I agree, not something too practical for most homeowners.

BUT, if you DID have a big solar array, it sure would be cool to have a home Supercharger. For practicality, I could see fleets and other commercial operators using this more than homes.

BTW, you DO NOT need a powerful inverter for this since you are taking solar panel DC and giving it to the car as DC. No inverter needed. Now you do have to match voltage, but the PowerWalls already do this for their internal batteries, so the extra parts count to allow the PowerWalls to modulate voltage for the Tesla car battery is minimal.

Reactions: MP3Mike
BTW, you DO NOT need a powerful inverter for this since you are taking solar panel DC and giving it to the car as DC. No inverter needed. Now you do have to match voltage, but the PowerWalls already do this for their internal batteries, so the extra parts count to allow the PowerWalls to modulate voltage for the Tesla car battery is minimal.
DC charging would be a relatively small percentage of overall solar operation, so the inverter(s) would need to be sized for the total solar installation even if they aren't involved in the DC EV charging system.

Ok, I think I know what you guys are saying now. If you had a 50 kW solar array, it would be split into five (or more) 10kW DC strings for connections into five inverters. Given Elon's stated aim of integrating everything, Powerwall V2 would likely have an integrated inverter.

However this still doesn't preclude a separate charger, or EVSE, that would connect to a special DC output of each Powerwall, aggregating up to 50 kW (or more) of solar power directly into the car.

How about a power wall with a built in inverter and transfer switch, to take advantage of time of use metering. Plug and play into my NEMA 14-50 outlet used to charge the model S. I guess to be used as backup power for the whole house it would need the transfer switching inatallled on the other
Side of the breaker box, but still a pretty simple wiring job for an electrician. I had my NEMA. 14-50 installed in my garage including an RV style outlet box for $210 total.