Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk's hint to 2nd row seats in Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With rumors about a stretch Model S, so the owners could be chauffeured in comfort, makes me wonder about the Swivel 2nd row. Makes the Model X kind of like a private jet on wheels. It could cut into the "Blacked-out Black Suburban" market!

So second and third row seats are a real sensitive topic. It begs to have options for vehicle purpose configuration.

Third Row - None (Standard)
Third Row - Fold-Down, 2 or 3 Adults (Option)
Second Row - None (Removable Option)
Second Row - Slide/Fold-Down Bench, 3 Adults (Standard)
Second Row - Really Cool Re-Configurable (Option. Requires 3rd row option)
Position 1) Forward Configuration, 3 Adults (Bench slides, 1&3 backs recline)
Position 2) Office/Card Game Configuration, 1&3 seats unlatch, slide out, swivel 180, slide-in, re-latch. Center seat folds down as a console with connectivity.

OK, now we are talking:
With no 2nd (removable) or 3rd row, we have a Mini RV for two! Supercharge-Tour the USA and the World, and the rear badge says Model X-ST
With Standard 2nd row and optional 3rd row, Soccer Moms and families of five or six kids/toddlers rejoice, and the rear badge says Model X-SM (Dads will delete option the badge, or invent words for SM, like Super Mario Brothers pre-installed, or, I must be a sadomasochist to be driving around all these kids... or sexist male..., ok stopping now.
With Swing-out 2nd row and optional 3rd row, the Model X is a Gulfstream on wheels, and the rear badge says Model X-GS, now hire a nice chauffer and take your friends out on the town. Or if you missed the stock surge, sign up for Uber and make some money to pay for the car.

Wow, what else other than cup holders and lit vanity mirrors on the sun visors will the X have?

The latest I heard was that third row was going to be removable rather than fold down flat. BUT, I don't think anyone really knows at this point. I am hoping they will be fold down, but we will have to wait for specs to come out...

I agree. The problem is that the Model X is a fairly small SUV, so it is very hard to get both decent storage and 7 seats, even if fold down. I wish they had decided to make the back taller, not as raked, to allow for more storage.

I agree. The problem is that the Model X is a fairly small SUV, so it is very hard to get both decent storage and 7 seats, even if fold down. I wish they had decided to make the back taller, not as raked, to allow for more storage.

Since nothing is final yet you could still get your wish. That is the fun part of guessing without anything to really go on!

I think the X is in very close to final form right now. We just don't know yet what that form is.

Final-Form.jpg

In all seriousness, a combination of the delays and the progress on the S has me feeling less anxious and more patient. Had the X came out on time (2013) we probably wouldn't have gotten all the sensors and such that the S got in 2014. The AWD S buyers are beta testing the motors for us, and we'll have all the goodies they got.

Winter Package (including heated steering wheel), AWD, ionizer, Autonomous Driving (just having the sensors along means we'll get a lot via SW updates)... I'm liking the idea of what the X will be like at launch, and just hope it's not outclassed 3 months later.

In all seriousness, a combination of the delays and the progress on the S has me feeling less anxious and more patient. Had the X came out on time (2013) we probably wouldn't have gotten all the sensors and such that the S got in 2014. The AWD S buyers are beta testing the motors for us, and we'll have all the goodies they got.

Winter Package (including heated steering wheel), AWD, ionizer, Autonomous Driving (just having the sensors along means we'll get a lot via SW updates)... I'm liking the idea of what the X will be like at launch, and just hope it's not outclassed 3 months later.

I think this is an excellent point. By waiting a bit longer, we get a lot of knowledge from S real world data, as well as the new goodies mentioned above. For those of us who keep a car a long time (I'm on year 17.....) , getting it right is so much more important than getting it now.

You are both right. Tesla wants the X to be better at the start then the S was. And for a new Silicon Valley company like them, for sure they try to do every new product to be a good step better then the last. Something, that the oldschoolers forgot during the decades.