TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Musk's priority

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by 9837264723849, Sep 29, 2015.

1. 9837264723849

9837264723849 Member

#1 9837264723849, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    At 37:04, Elon says
    Back in 2013, he said he would “stay with the automaker through the successful launch of the Model 3” (source).

What makes a "successful launch"?
    a) reveal (march 2016)
    b) first delivery
    c) mass production

--
    Update: and what is "staying with" Tesla: CEO, chairman, consultant, sales rep?

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

That was his intentions back in 2013, his feel about future, 5-8 years ahead.
    Don't read too much into it. Don't start a "musk is leaving tesla in 2019" thread

3. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

There's a big difference between taking a vacation and leaving Tesla.

But I would say b or c, but they should only be like one month apart. (Not 500k/year production, of course, but thousands of cars per month is also mass production.)

4. jhm

jhm Active Member

Musk really should be taking regular vacations to stay connected with his family and avoid long-term burn out. It is also important to set an example for all who work in his companies. Managing stress and burnout are critical elements to longterm success.

5. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

People have been reading into this way too much. He wants a strong bench. Of course it's his focus. Deepak left and he wants to ensure Tesla is good in the event anything occurs in the long run. Think of Jobs and Cook. The best "product" was the company which is really a bunch of people. Elon is staying in long term operational capacity with Model 3, beyond that he will probably be there as a chairman and not CEO, more strategic and less operational.

He needs managers who can filter through garbage and come up with decent proposals. Tesla is also maturing as a company and Elon is trying to avoid getting the "big culture" where "employees fall through the cracks" so they can avoid becoming a GM. Yes, he needs a vacation every so often. I also think his travel schedule was super intense this past month.

6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Musk has also said he will always be with Tesla, just maybe at some point not the CEO, (which initially he was not planning to be).

7. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

I have heard him say after he is no longer CEO he wants remain at Tesla with a title like Chief Product Architect. I also gather with 27% stake in Tesla he will remain Chairman of the Board.