Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

must auto pilot be engaged for accident avoidance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see there are a lot of videos of accidents that have been avoided by Tesla automobiles. In these videos it is unclear if either the auto steer or traffic aware cruise control was engaged at the time. I did a quick cursory look in the model 3 manual (hundred something page pdf) and it was unclear there also. I will try to find latest manual for latest manual for latest model Y. It is important to know this since it is often thought ill advised to be in auto pilot, road construction no lane markings, heavy traffic with reckless drivers swerving in and out of lanes. However, I'm about to conclude it is better to be in auto pilot on busy freeways as well as un congested interstates between cities. Any thoughts on that too? Much justification for soon purchase model Y is based on the idea that Tesla's are much safer. (excluding NITSA crash tests roll overs etc).

It is also unclear if auto pilot needs to be on in order to be warned if someone is in the blind spot?