Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must have accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trunk Midgets. Virtual Must Have. I have two of them, Midget 1 is designated as Vinny, Midget 2 is designated Geno. When someone attempts to touch Killer-Watt, They exit the vehicle and remove the intruder. Midget 2 is also equipped with advanced voice commands, and can do tedious tasks such as close charge port (for those of us that don't have the new motorized closing ports), "Supercharger Plug In", Fast Food Restaurant Visual Locator, and Pointing Out the Obvious.

I do not think I could live with out my Trunk Midgets. They are that much of a Must Have. Midget 1 was the Prototype, Unfortunately due to a Misplaced Extra Chromosome, functionality is limited, though does have a nice Bite Feature for intruders, though occasionally malfunctions, such as mis-placement of beverages, and excessive banging on interior trim.
Midget 2 was manufactured with the proper number of Chromosomes, and was included with advanced features, such as capacity to learn and adapt to situations, advanced voice commands, and is self upgrading, and performs self maintenance cycles at every supercharger stop.

ok, that's hilarious!

Trunk Midgets. Virtual Must Have. I have two of them, Midget 1 is designated as Vinny, Midget 2 is designated Geno. When someone attempts to touch Killer-Watt, They exit the vehicle and remove the intruder. Midget 2 is also equipped with advanced voice commands, and can do tedious tasks such as close charge port (for those of us that don't have the new motorized closing ports), "Supercharger Plug In", Fast Food Restaurant Visual Locator, and Pointing Out the Obvious.

I do not think I could live with out my Trunk Midgets. They are that much of a Must Have. Midget 1 was the Prototype, Unfortunately due to a Misplaced Extra Chromosome, functionality is limited, though does have a nice Bite Feature for intruders, though occasionally malfunctions, such as mis-placement of beverages, and excessive banging on interior trim.
Midget 2 was manufactured with the proper number of Chromosomes, and was included with advanced features, such as capacity to learn and adapt to situations, advanced voice commands, and is self upgrading, and performs self maintenance cycles at every supercharger stop.

So when the midgets get too friendly with each other, would that make it a Micro-trans-action?

I, too, recommend the FOBO tire sensors. Don't forget to rebalance the wheels after installing the sensors, however.

I was ready to order it until I read about the need to rebalance. Is that from your experience? The website says it's not necessary. Thanks

Does FOBO Tire Plus affect tire balancing?

FOBO Tire Plus sensor weight is 10 grams each but extensive testing has shown a maximum deviation of 5 grams on the wheel balancer. Typical wheel balancing equipment in the market has a resolution of 5 grams as well. The deviation of 5 grams are to be considered acceptable and there is no need to rebalance the wheels after installing FOBO Tire Plus. This is in line with our tire experts.

I was ready to order it until I read about the need to rebalance. Is that from your experience? The website says it's not necessary. Thanks

FOBO Tire Plus sensor weight is 10 grams each but extensive testing has shown a maximum deviation of 5 grams on the wheel balancer. Typical wheel balancing equipment in the market has a resolution of 5 grams as well. The deviation of 5 grams are to be considered acceptable and there is no need to rebalance the wheels after installing FOBO Tire Plus. This is in line with our tire experts.

For what it's worth, I didn't find it necessary to rebalance on 21" rims.

There's no need rebalance the tires after installing FOBO. Here's the info directly from the FAQ on their website.

FWIW, I did not rebalance my 21" wheels either after installing them.

I know it's not an accessory, but if you are interested in protecting your paint, look at the various "treatments" available (I went with Opti-Coat Pro+ on mine and it looks fantastic). Also, the 2 bucket method for washing is a must, it saves on water usage and helps reduce the potential for scratching while you clean the car. The Heatshield (windshield sun visor) is a must have if you live in a place that gets hot. I keep a small bottle of glass cleaner and a clean microfiber cloth in the trunk, the wipers tend to smear bugs and make visibility worse. I bought (and like) the replacement LED bulbs for the plate lights in the tailgate. And last, but not least, the all weather mats: I bought the front mats from Tesla and the second row/trunk mats from WeatherTech (they were slightly less expensive than the Tesla and are practically the same thing). Enjoy customizing your ride!

Here's a must-have accessory: vastly improved LED trunk lighting, for around $40 ($30 for the lights, $10 for AAA batteries.) They attach with double-sided adhesive tape; no tools required. The light strips are motion-sensing, so they turn on when there's any movement in the trunk area.

But with the addition of two stick-on LED light strips, it now looks like this:

7xCpIMj.jpg

How long do the batteries last? I recall someone posting they need to be changed every couple of weeks, which seems like a major hassle.

Any problems with the self-stick tape actually sticking?

On Amazon, there are two brands to choose from -- OxyLED and Hallomall -- which did you get?

Thanks!

-- David

How long do the batteries last? I recall someone posting they need to be changed every couple of weeks, which seems like a major hassle.

Any problems with the self-stick tape actually sticking?

On Amazon, there are two brands to choose from -- OxyLED and Hallomall -- which did you get?

Thanks!

-- David

Mine are the Hallomall-branded lights, as I linked to in my original post.

I think the battery life directly depends on whether you leave the parcel shelf in place to enclose the trunk space. If you don't, and you forget to stow the lights away when the parcel shelf is removed, then it's quite likely that they will come on all the time and the batteries won't last. I'm still on my original set of batteries from when I installed these lights 7 months ago. However, I've driven around with the rear seat down and no parcel shelf for several days at a time, and last night I noticed that the lights are now a bit dimmer and the batteries need replacing soon.

As for the self-stick tape that comes with the lights, it seems to be hit or miss. Both of my trunk lights initially fell down after a few weeks, since the adhesive just wasn't sticky enough to keep them in place. I got a roll of 3M double-sided automotive tape to reattach them, and they've now been up for 6+ months with no sign of weakening. But the one that I stuck in the frunk's microwave area is still in place with the original sticky tape, so go figure. (It's probably because the plastic surface in the frunk is smooth, whereas the plastic under the parcel shelf rails is textured and I failed to clean the surface with rubbing alcohol beforehand.)

Should have mentioned that the lights are removable... you're actually just attaching a thin magnetic strip to the parcel shelf rail with the double-sided tape. The lights are in a metallic enclosure that also holds the batteries, and the whole assembly is held on securely with the magnet. When I need to fold the seats down, I just pop the lights off and wrap them in a towel (which you can see tucked away in the side well in my picture)... assuming I remember to do that.

It's obviously not as good as an integrated LED light that wires into the car's electrical system, but it's super easy and cheap, and makes a huge difference at night or in a dimly lit garage. I've had several compliments specifically on the trunk lighting from friends who didn't realize it wasn't standard from Tesla.

I use the exact same solution. I have now used them for a month and have not yet had to replace any batteries. I expect them to last for a very long time as the timeout is set at 15 seconds and the PIR sensor most likely only uses a very small current. Mine did cost 9.90 USD per item with free shipping. I have two of them installed in the trunk, one in the frunk and one on the bottom of the lid of the "deep trunk" compartment.

do you have interests in this shop
I did a web search for Caaba, wondering why a Chinese company would name themselves after the holiest of Muslim sites. Didn't find any reference to the specific products shown in the photo, but I discovered you can buy Tesla coils cheaply on Alibaba (100.0% of buyers enjoyed this product!), as well as bee head masks and "sexy hammock chest netting". Awesome!

On-topic comment: Cyclone, do you have a reference to the lights you bought? Any photos? How difficult was it to DIY?

On-topic comment: Cyclone, do you have a reference to the lights you bought? Any photos? How difficult was it to DIY?

Very easy install in the trunk. Took me maybe 15-20 minutes. I haven't done the frunk yet, but I have the supplies. I went a bit overboard. I put a 20" strip under each mount rail for the parcel shelf. I used positaps to easily provide power and borrowed power from two footwell light points in the trunk.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-3-chip-smd-led-5050-with-lc2-connector/1465/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/dp...il&asin=B001MPW54G&clickstream-tag=your_order

bQXtzXp.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go with this as it's integrated into the car system and just replaces or leverages the existing ports in the car.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/30538-12-five-minute-LED-Frunk-Light/page4

Here's a must-have accessory: vastly improved LED trunk lighting, for around $40 ($30 for the lights, $10 for AAA batteries.) They attach with double-sided adhesive tape; no tools required. The light strips are motion-sensing, so they turn on when there's any movement in the trunk area.

At night, it can be hard to see items in your trunk, because factory trunk lighting looks like this:

EPA9Yfd.jpg

But with the addition of two stick-on LED light strips, it now looks like this:

7xCpIMj.jpg

The light strips attach to the underside of the plastic rails that support the parcel shelf. The third strip goes in the frunk.
Credit for the idea goes to aarnold on the TM forums.