Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must have phone apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, there are many. Here's what I use.
Scan my tesla. This requires a interface cable with an OBD2 bluetooth reader. Fun numbers and stuff to monitor.
Plugshare. Don't leave home without it.
Teslacam. This is used to read dashcam footage on the phone with an OTG cable.
Superchargers. Quick glance of the superchargers. Mainly use this to show others how many S/C are in the world.
Waze. Good to keep up with any speed traps. (Not the best)
Blackvue. Used to quickly download from the aftermarket dashcam.
GoPro. Keep it handy to monitor where the gopro is pointing.
RV parky. Yep. Keep this one handy in case of those areas that you may need a nema 14:50 charge.

I mostly only use anything on trips. For that, these are invaluable. I usually preplan a trip using the associated websites (finding a hotel with a level 2 charger for an overnight). The apps are useful because sometimes you need to change in the middle (e.g., back in November I needed to return home a day early to get out of the town we were in before a snowstorm dropped a foot; we left at 9PM and drove until 1AM and stayed at a hotel with a level 2):

PlugShare
ABetterRoutePlanner

I also have the ChargePoint and EVgo apps for the infrequent occasion I need them to start a charge session on a level 2. I have Waze and use it when I'm worried about speed traps.

Reactions: Nailguytv
Has anyone used "Dashboard for Tesla" on Android? It makes you purchase every feature so I'm put off on using it.
I agree with you. I liked the idea of scheduling or at that time I think it was to keep the HVAC system on. Now I use Teslafi.com for schedules. Before my wife started working from home. I would set up schedules to turn on AC before she left work.
Some commands you can select.

command.png

• Google Maps & Apple Maps: EASY to send "map to this location" to your Tesla navigation via iPhone & iPad
  • WAZE: verify Tesla navigation routing... or provide alternate routes. NOTE: WAZE can take you down some sketchy streets and left turn onto multi-lane high traffic roads which negate their "shortcut" times, lower safety and raise the pucker factor dramatically
  • AAA (or other towing service): when Tesla Roadside Assistance quotes a LONG response time
  • Your auto insurer (we have The Hartford): To enter accident info / pictures and submit directly to them... or get them on the phone
  • SpeedTest (Ookla): to check WiFi if your Tesla isn't connecting to a WiFi router
  • Storm Radar (The Weather Channel): real time storm tracking and future weather
  • Dark Sky: real time weather alerts
  • PlugShare: when there aren't any Tesla Superchargers around
  • Blink, ChargePoint, other pay to charge apps: set up your accounts while on WiFi so when you need them you don't have to go through the frustration of creating an account when you need a charge
  • AllStays: RV park locations for emergency 14-50 outlets when there are no Tesla Superchargers AND no public charging stations. Great for remote road trips (like 200 rolling hills curvy windy hot or cold road miles between Page AZ and Blanding Utah Tesla Superchargers)
  • Tile: to find your wallet, keys, etc. Tesla, house, office, etc.

Reactions: Darmie
Well, there are many. Here's what I use.
Scan my tesla. This requires a interface cable with an OBD2 bluetooth reader. Fun numbers and stuff to monitor.
Plugshare. Don't leave home without it.
Teslacam. This is used to read dashcam footage on the phone with an OTG cable.
Superchargers. Quick glance of the superchargers. Mainly use this to show others how many S/C are in the world.
Waze. Good to keep up with any speed traps. (Not the best)
Blackvue. Used to quickly download from the aftermarket dashcam.
GoPro. Keep it handy to monitor where the gopro is pointing.
RV parky. Yep. Keep this one handy in case of those areas that you may need a nema 14:50 charge.

Good summary. I guess that TeslaCam thing might become obsolete soon after folks get 2020.12.5

I use TeslaFi. Didn't see it in your list.

• Google Maps & Apple Maps: EASY to send "map to this location" to your Tesla navigation via iPhone & iPad

• Tile: to find your wallet, keys, etc. Tesla, house, office, etc.

Love the way you're thinking. That's what I was considering. I forgot about google maps. it is the go to way to route directions on the Tesla. Not sure why now that the voice commands appear to be working great after the latest firmware updates.

Good summary. I guess that TeslaCam thing might become obsolete soon after folks get 2020.12.5

I use TeslaFi. Didn't see it in your list.
Yes, the Teslafi I really love and use it often. Glad you brought it up. I'm always hesitant to mention when someone is looking for apps. Yes, you can view and use it on a phone or tablet, it's just not easy. If they come out with a dedicate app, that may push them to be the go to app but it would take a lot of UI work.

Has anyone used "Dashboard for Tesla" on Android?
I tried a demo of it and personally found nothing extra interesting in it. I certainly don't need widgets on my phone for my cars. I tried a few other apps (teslab, EVTO) that similarly didn't seem anything more useful (to me) than the stock Tesla app combined with the 2 must-have phone apps I mentioned above.

However, this thread was about "must have phone apps", which is why I didn't mention TeslaFi. It's not an app, but a service. I have it for both my cars and find the data it collects very interesting. I've used it to look out how trips worked out after the fact. I highly recommend it, but it's not a phone app.

Here are some posts I've made showing data reports from TeslaFi:
Supercharger Log? (Supercharger usage and lifetime map)
Danbury, CT Supercharger (charging summary)
Sunday River Ski in Maine- 3 Tesla Chargers (trip map)
Danbury, CT Supercharger (lifetime map)

TeslaFi reports I've spent 36 Days 2 Hours 15 Minutes driving my Model S in the last 2.5 years. That's bliss for you!
(as noted in those posts above, I've only used TeslaFi for the last 31K miles on my S)
upload_2020-4-8_13-7-5.png

My TMC username is a referral code for TeslaFi that will give you a 1 month trial.
(It costs a small amount monthly, but it's trivial to setup.)

Reactions: Darmie