Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must Have Stuff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 (LR AWD with FSD) will be delivered in 2 weeks. I've been reading this forum and watching videos. I'm wondering what the must have things you need to buy.

I have decided to get a Tesla tire repair kit. I did a thread on this. This may be something that I can get away with aftermarket. But I think OEMs is the way to go.

I've seen on Teslaraj, that there isn't a Nema 14-50 adapter as standard and you may need to buy one. While I have ordered a Tesla charger, I think I want one of these anyway. I don't think I need an extra charging cable.

The above seem like must have. I have no desire for a key fob. I hate to have one. Phone and card seem good enough. I expect that I'll get a console wrap. But I want to wait until I have the car for a while before getting one.

Is there anything that is a must have that I'm missing?

While I have ordered a Tesla charger, I think I want one of these anyway. I don't think I need an extra charging cable.

The car comes with a mobile charger, so if you ordered a Tesla Charger you will likely already get an extra charging cable. Many people just use the mobile connector that comes with the car and save that $500 on a Tesla wall charger.

I'd suggest a screen protector for the touchscreen, it's not super likely that you break it - but i've personally cracked mine and its over $1000 to repair.

Must have is nothing. Believe it or not, the car works completely when you leave the dealer. It is fully capable of making you happy for over 100,000 miles.

Other items are based your preferences and specific needs.
A spare tire is a personal preference and not needed. When was the last time you needed one?
Home charging is definitely a "best EV experience". But the specific needs are your own. You didn't mention what you commute is, so not much to go on.

The J-1772 adapter and the 120V 15A plugs included with the car can last you forever.

Probably the most important thing to make sure you have is a person with a camera to take some shots of your grin when you pick up the car!

I would consider a USB flash drive for dashcam and Sentry Mode a must-have. I've seen too many posts about hit-and-runs or other accidents where the poster says they haven't set up their USB drive yet (so no video proof).

Get a good quality flash drive. I use a Samsung 128 GB endurance microSD card in a USB reader. An "endurance" card will last longer when subjected to constant writes to the memory.

Hey man, I havent received my Model 3 yet but this is what I'm getting. And btw key fobs are not available right now I think.

Dynaplug roadside kit instead of the OEM tire repair kit. Some of the things I've read about the Tesla tire repair kit are worrying
Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD thumbdrive. better to get a thumbdrive that is meant for a lot of read and write like recording footage
I'm stuck between the newly released OEM all weather interior mats for 200 bucks or the Maxspider for 230. They both look great.
I live on Maui so I am definitely getting the OEM roof sunshade. I heard the 3rd party sunshades are a bit more flimsy when you constantly pack and put them back on
Vinyls for my console and door handles and the rear usb area.
Clear vinyl for the headlights
Mudflaps
Alloygators if I can find someone to install it. I have no authorized installers on Maui :(
Rear trunk handle from RPM Tesla
A tray for the console
Display protector matte
Two LEDs for the trunk
Jack pads or pucks for whenever I get my alignment and rotations done

Some of these are not absolutely needed, but I would definitely get the tire kit, two thumbdrives (Sentry takes up a lot of space), console wrap (they supposedly scratch really easily), display protector, and the pads/pucks.

The car comes with a mobile charger, so if you ordered a Tesla Charger you will likely already get an extra charging cable. Many people just use the mobile connector that comes with the car and save that $500 on a Tesla wall charger.

I'd suggest a screen protector for the touchscreen, it's not super likely that you break it - but i've personally cracked mine and its over $1000 to repair.
How did you crack it?

I had matte white console wrap installed at delivery. So great with the white interior.
I also ordered a 14-50 connector, rubber floor mats, console cubby, stainless trunk sill protectors, aluminum pedals (w/dead) all before I took delivery.

Must have? Versus nice to have?

This would be our must have list based on three weeks of ownership in Southern California:
1) Upgraded AAA Premier membership with 150 miles towing
2) Tesla Sunshade for glass roof
3) Full size collapsible sunshade for wind shield
4) 128g USB drive for Sentry Cam
5) All weather trunk liner (see YouTube videos of how rain water drips into trunk when the lid is opened)

Our nice to have list (most of which we have purchased):
1) Taptes V2 wireless phone charger
2) Center console organizer tray
3) Evannex cup holder adapter
4) Velcro to hide a garage door opener
5) ModernSpare tire kit (would be on the must have list if it didn't take up so much space in trunk)

Much to my surprise, an item that is not on the must have list is a home fast charger. We have found that the supplied 110v charger is all we need to fully charge overnight based on our daily usage of the Model 3.

Last edited:
Wireless phone charger. Tesla sells their version for $125 but I was able to grab one off Amazon for $49 bucks and it works perfectly. Extremely, easy to install. (of course only relevant if you have a cell phone that supports wireless charging.)

I would consider a USB flash drive for dashcam and Sentry Mode a must-have. I've seen too many posts about hit-and-runs or other accidents where the poster says they haven't set up their USB drive yet (so no video proof).

Get a good quality flash drive. I use a Samsung 128 GB endurance microSD card in a USB reader. An "endurance" card will last longer when subjected to constant writes to the memory.

Don't get a flash drive. Get an SSD. Better temperature tolerance, performance, and longevity. People have nothing but problems with their flash drives.