Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must haves for New England?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery in a couple months of my first electric (AWD Y), and wanted to poll the north east community for suggestions of what you found helpful for dealing with our New England extremes: of weather, cost, etc. I know there are lots of new owner threads, but wanted to make a New England specific one.

For local items, I’m right around the 128 /95 belt of metro Boston near 90

Items I’m aware of and shopping around for but would love opinions on (additions to the list are welcome):

-paint protective film for salt/debris. at least on rear door panels, maybe front bumper
-better to go with Tesla’s $50 kit or an independent shop? If ind. shop, what ref can you give around MA. Not interested in a $4K ceramic or whole car wrap at this time

-all-weather mats for winter slush (5 seater)

-tint for front windows (and maybe roof?)
- I’m torn on this one, I like the look of a somewhat uniform looking tint front to back, and will be parking outdoors the next few years so in summer would appreciate the cooler car, but at the same time don’t want crazy dark tint for winter/night
- suggestions for shops to do a good quality tint for reasonable prices

- spare tire: does the car really come with no fix a flat or spare at all? Has this been an issue for y’all in pothole ridden northeast? I’ve seen modern spare mentioned here, any suggestions appreciated. Don’t want my family stranded on the side of the road with no way out without a tow

-mudflaps that can withstand frozen slush and low clearance

- no rinse wash, or good touch less car washes in the area for winter (not a super obsessive clean freak with cars, but it’d be good to rinse the salt off occasionally in winter without getting trim fog or other chemical damage to the car)

That’s all I can think of for now, appreciate your thoughts

The most important thing, above anything else on your list -- is a dedicated set of extreme winter tires and rims. All seasons are OK, but are only really safe in less than 2" to 3" of snow. I lived in Boston for 20 years, so I know first hand how much snow you can get up there.

Then you can get a set of summer rims/tires for the other three seasons which will perform and ride better than "all season" tires.

Upvote 0
Congrats on your purchase!

I'm a little north-east of you, been driving a Model S for about 2 years. Definitely go for the all-weather mats, it's amazing the amount of grit that gets tracked into the car. I also put snow tires on mine - haven't been as necessary around Boston the past few years, but we go up to NH and also drove to Western MA in the middle of a blizzard and with the snows the Model S is a tank. (I put the snows on the OEM wheels and got something I liked better for the summer :D ).

Lack of a spare hasn't been a problem (knock wood). Mine came with the Tesla pump/sealant, I thought I was going to have to use the sealant last weekend when I picked up a screw but was able to keep enough air in the tire to limp home.

My other must-haves are a USB stick with my music, and the Plugshare app!

Taking delivery in a couple months of my first electric (AWD Y), and wanted to poll the north east community for suggestions of what you found helpful for dealing with our New England extremes: of weather, cost, etc. I know there are lots of new owner threads, but wanted to make a New England specific one.

Items I’m aware of and shopping around for but would love opinions on (additions to the list are welcome):

-paint protective film for salt/debris. at least on rear door panels, maybe front bumper
-better to go with Tesla’s $50 kit or an independent shop? If ind. shop, what ref can you give around MA. Not interested in a $4K ceramic or whole car wrap at this time

- I’m torn on this one, I like the look of a somewhat uniform looking tint front to back, and will be parking outdoors the next few years so in summer would appreciate the cooler car, but at the same time don’t want crazy dark tint for winter/night

- spare tire: does the car really come with no fix a flat or spare at all? Has this been an issue for y’all in pothole ridden northeast? I’ve seen modern spare mentioned here, any suggestions appreciated. Don’t want my family stranded on the side of the road with no way out without a tow

- no rinse wash, or good touch less car washes in the area for winter (not a super obsessive clean freak with cars, but it’d be good to rinse the salt off occasionally in winter without getting trim fog or other chemical damage to the car)

Upvote 0
Make sure you get a flat repair kit and compressor which runs off your 12V battery. I'm not a fan of the slime. I had a flat on my original Model S in 2013 and it was plugged. Extension cord is also useful. Thumb drive with music, thumb drive for sentry mode (does the car come with one now?).

Reactions: NikolaTs
Upvote 0

Tesla all-weather mats are (or at least were) made by WeatherTech, so make sure to compare prices. Floor mats are currently cheaper from WeatherTech (but you need to pay shipping), while frunk mat/rear well is cheaper from Tesla.

All my cars (spare or not) have a cheap compressor and a tire patch kit (you can get both for around $30 at Walmart). That and a AAA+ 100mile towing membership and I'm set.

I've been driving cars without spares since 2004 (20k+ per year). I've had exactly 2 tire issues in that time - a nail in one tire that the TPMS caught a mile or two from home. I filled it with the compressor and drove home (carefully). The second time I hit a giant pothole on I-95N leaving NYC. After I got home, both passenger tires developed sidewall bubbles and had to be replaced.

Make sure you get a flat repair kit and compressor which runs off your 12V battery. I'm not a fan of the slime. I had a flat on my original Model S in 2013 and it was plugged. Extension cord is also useful. Thumb drive with music, thumb drive for sentry mode (does the car come with one now?).
I bought one of these for music - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07857Y17V/ - but honestly, I don't use it much now that I have a Spotify subscription.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of the slime.
I don't trust it with TPMS sensors, so I won't use sealants in car tires anymore. Although the stuff does work like magic. It sealed old boat trailer tires and held up for a 100 mile trip home. I used it to seal up a snowblower tire with a rusty rim that wouldn't hold air for more than a week, and it has held for 2-3 years now.

Reactions: EdA
Upvote 0
I purchased a set of 18" rims for our model Y.
Then a set of hakkapelitta 9s and now the the 10-ev's have been released.

They were great last winter and would very much recommend picking up a set.

I would also recommend PPF and not just the mini Tesla $50 PPF.

Upvote 0
For the tint and paint protection I highly recommend Q Car Care in Burlington Mass. They did all my work and they were great. They specialize in Tesla’s.
awesome, thanks for the suggestion. Was just thinking of making a specific post asking for PPF shop recommendations

Ballpack how much did Q Car Care set you back?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
awesome, thanks for the suggestion. Was just thinking of making a specific post asking for PPF shop recommendations

Ballpack how much did Q Car Care set you back?
Vinyl Wrap/Chrome Delete $995
PPF Film (smoked headlights, tail and fog lights) $450
Window Tint XPEL Prime XR (everything but the glass above) $950
I’m happy with everything. They are the Tesla pros.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Upvote 0

Cool Amazon Items:

EVFIT Jack Lifting Pads 4pcs set (MUST) (just in case need to jack car up)
Carwiner Tesla Model Y LED Puddle Lights T logo (just because its cool)
Spigen Tempered Glass Screen Protector (MUST)
Topfit Car Cellphone Mount also has a storage behind it (MUST)

All Weather Mats (search ebay) (MUST)

Window Tint and PPF protection for the front is a MUST!

Sunstoppers of Stoughton MA does a great job especially with Telsa's! They can do Ceramic Window Tint for ALL glass too
follow their Instagram for pictures at sunstoppersstoughton

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I haven't found snow tires to be necessary. I generally try to avoid driving during storms but I have on a couple of occasions and my M3 AWD has handled the snow very well. It's a very heavy car and it's AWD. Plus they plow the roads continuously during storms in Ma. If I lived in Vermont or Northern NH I'd get snow tires but I don't think they are necessary in Eastern MA.

Upvote 0
I haven't found snow tires to be necessary. I generally try to avoid driving during storms but I have on a couple of occasions and my M3 AWD has handled the snow very well. It's a very heavy car and it's AWD. Plus they plow the roads continuously during storms in Ma. If I lived in Vermont or Northern NH I'd get snow tires but I don't think they are necessary in Eastern MA.
I tend to agree that winter tires are not a hard requirement if you're driving habits are to stay home when the roads are slick. I lived without winter tires on my X for the first two years and tiptoed around in bad weather. The all seasons were great at getting going in snow and ice... stopping and turning not so much. I bought a set of Nokian Hakka's last year because I wanted the flexibility of going for local drives and taking road trips in the winter without worrying about not having my car for months if a body shop was needed. Very happy with my decision. These tires are amazing in slick conditions. The downside - noisy as hell compared to the OEM tires I run during rest of the year (and I don't have the studded variant).

Upvote 0
How are the stock tires in the snow? I have Michelin CrossClimate + on my front wheel drive ICE car now, and they’re amazing in all conditions New England can throw at em. I’ve heard good things about the Vredsteins too.

The only thing I haven‘t seen others mention in this thread yet is flat tires: I’m curious if roadside assistance can be relied upon quickly, or if I’d be smart to buy a spare and keep it in the subtrunk

Upvote 0