Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must take delivery prior to driving car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model S and was told I am not allowed to drive the car prior to taking delivery. The car I test drove had an air gap somewhere - it sounded like the driver side window was slightly open, though it was not. Because of that I I am not comfortable taking delivery prior to driving the new S. If it had wind noise or another problem I would be beyond annoyed. Are people routinely taking delivery without having driven the car first? I canceled my order as it seems unreasonable given all the issues I read about.

I’m now considering the I-Pace even though the range sucks. Any suggestions about whether Tesla might bend on the delivery sequence?

Everyone takes delivery before driving. This is another reason why the traditional dealership model is superior to Tesla’s.

You have no way of knowing what the vehicle will sound like. And they do that for a reason. Wind noise, panel gaps, bargain basement glass. The average consumer would be shocked to pay $70K+ for what you get.

Also, the range on the ipace is more of a real-world number. Tesla’s range number is under ideal conditions.

I have only ever once before bought a factory-new car. It was a Toyota at the same price as our Tesla (well, at least incl. taxes). We did not have any opportunity of inspecting or test driving that Toyota before taking ownership. In fact, when I arrived to pick it up, I was already the registered owner of that car.

Compared to this, Tesla has a 7 days return policy, at least where I live. I don't think any traditional dealerships here has an equally good policy.

I have only ever once before bought a factory-new car. It was a Toyota at the same price as our Tesla (well, at least incl. taxes). We did not have any opportunity of inspecting or test driving that Toyota before taking ownership. In fact, when I arrived to pick it up, I was already the registered owner of that car.

Compared to this, Tesla has a 7 days return policy, at least where I live. I don't think any traditional dealerships here has an equally good policy.
Sorry but this is a flat out exaggeration. Your post makes it seem like Toyota forced you to take the car and registered it without your knowledge.

There is no Toyota dealership in the US that will not allow you to test drive a vehicle you are intent on purchasing. The only exception I can think of is if you were custom ordering something. In which case the dealer would have made you aware of any test drive policies beforehand.

Last edited:
I have never been allowed to "test drive" any of the new vehicles I have factory ordered from other manufacturers as well.
Dealerships around here allow you to test drive vehicles in stock, but not the actual car you are buying if factory ordered. You must make all final arrangements prior to driving it off the dealership lot.
Not sure Jaguar will allow you to drive around in a factory ordered car as well. You might be able to drive something they have in stock and then purchase that car on the spot.

Around here Jaguar has a much worse reputation for reliability than Tesla. they are beautiful, with lots of emotional ques, but reliability...not so much.

Tesla service has a pretty good reputation for being able to address initial quality issue. Also backed up by a 7 day return policy.

Buying a Tesla is often a leap of faith. Like most vehicles they also imperfect, but can also be a life altering experience.

For most, picking up a new Tesla is a joyous occasion, however as you can often read in forums like these, sometimes they take a little work to get them sorted.

Perhaps an option is to check and see if your friendly local delivery center has any demo's in stock that are available for purchase. You could drive one of these and if acceptable purchase it on the spot.

I ordered a Model S and was told I am not allowed to drive the car prior to taking delivery. The car I test drove had an air gap somewhere - it sounded like the driver side window was slightly open, though it was not. Because of that I I am not comfortable taking delivery prior to driving the new S. If it had wind noise or another problem I would be beyond annoyed. Are people routinely taking delivery without having driven the car first? I canceled my order as it seems unreasonable given all the issues I read about.

I’m now considering the I-Pace even though the range sucks. Any suggestions about whether Tesla might bend on the delivery sequence?
Tesla used to have a 7 day return policy but that was unfortinately eliminated last month, at least in the U.S. You should be able to inspect the car before taking delivery and if you see any notable issues, ask them to fix or you can reject delivery. Otherwise, any items found after delivery would have to be addressed with service center later on.

• Helpful
Reactions: CarbonFree
Like others have observed, buying a Tesla is analogous to ordering a car from the factory. I ordered a 2000 BMW M Roadster from the factory after test driving one from the BMW dealership. When my Roadster arrived from the factory and the dealership called me to come get it, all I was able to do was sign the paperwork and drive away. I’m pretty sure that not only was I not permitted to drive it until I had accepted ownership but I believe I was even committed to the purchase, for having ordered it from the factory, and there would have been a penalty of some sort had I refused to purchase the car once it arrived.

Your post makes it seem like Toyota forced you to take the car and registered it without your knowledge.

There is no Toyota dealership in the US that will not allow you to test drive a vehicle you are intent on purchasing.

No, my post doesn't make it seem like that. That is only your twisting of my words. I was fully aware that the car would be registered to me. I would have been very disappointed if it hadn't.

I don't live in the US, but I had plenty of opportunity to drive a similar car at the dealership before ordering.

Then I ordered, a completely new car was shipped to the dealer, registered to me, and I came and picked it up. It was just that: A pick up of an already ordered car.

Under those circumstances, a test drive in the pick-up phase would have been a very strange occurrence.

No, my post doesn't make it seem like that. That is only your twisting of my words. I was fully aware that the car would be registered to me. I would have been very disappointed if it hadn't.

I don't live in the US, but I had plenty of opportunity to drive a similar car at the dealership before ordering.

Then I ordered, a completely new car was shipped to the dealer, registered to me, and I came and picked it up. It was just that: A pick up of an already ordered car.

Under those circumstances, a test drive in the pick-up phase would have been a very strange occurrence.
Your words weren’t twisted. By your own admission you were feigning surprise/ignorance.

Reactions: Lubestaff and AMPd
I mean this with all sincerity, and no disrespect intended.

If you are the type of person that needs to test drive the exact custom-ordered car you’ll be buying to evaluate it for acceptable levels of wind noise, a Tesla is not for you.

Full stop.

That experience is not what they’re selling, and not what you’ll be buying. You’ll be much happier at Jaguar or Lexus.

We can wax philosophical for ages on whether or not it’s the right thing for them to do, how much they’re “hurting their brand”, “disregarding loyal customers,” or any of the other arguments commonly presented - but Tesla has definitively decided that customers like you are not worth their time right now. They make no secret about it.

You’ll be happier somewhere else. Tesla will be happier with you somewhere else. You did the right thing cancelling your order.

Dealerships around here allow you to test drive vehicles in stock, but not the actual car you are buying if factory ordered. You must make all final arrangements prior to driving it off the dealership lot.

This and same. The last two cars I purchased prior to my first Tesla were a Chevy Volt and a Jaguar E-Pace (both new). Both cars were at their respective dealer lots yet I was unable to drive either one prior to purchase. The E-Pace was in the showroom so I can sort of understand that but for the Volt I was told it needed to go through "dealer prep" and was not available for a test drive.

I did get to test drive a Volt and E-Pace though - just not the ones I purchased.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I have purchased many new cars and most were custom ordered. I have been able to test drive every one until Tesla. Somehow hundreds of thousands of Tesla get sold this way and I am about to take delivery of my third. It is normal to be nervous but everything works out.

The new 2020 S I took delivery of last year had exactly the same issue. Noticed it as soon as I drove down the road. An adjustment by mobile service after delivery fixed it. Irritating however it was easily fixed along with a number of other snagging issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Sorry but this is a flat out exaggeration. Your post makes it seem like Toyota forced you to take the car and registered it without your knowledge.

There is no Toyota dealership in the US that will not allow you to test drive a vehicle you are intent on purchasing. The only exception I can think of is if you were custom ordering something. In which case the dealer would have made you aware of any test drive policies beforehand.
The only thing you were missing is calling him a fanboi.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and HarleyW