Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must wrap areas on MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used xpel , Suntek and now STEK film ...contrary to what every vendor will come on and say the films perform differently ...in over 100k miles with PPF on various Tesla’s they perform the same IMO...only difference I have seen is the look (transparency and glossiness) across the films

I have used xpel , Suntek and now STEK film ...contrary to what every vendor will come on and say the films perform differently ...in over 100k miles with PPF on various Tesla’s they perform the same IMO...only difference I have seen is the look (transparency and glossiness) across the films

Yeah that #1 thing I'd care about is it doing its job of protection. I'll have to possibly reconsider wrapping, as I wasn't going to, but all these pictures of the blue Xes getting rashed up kind of sucks!

Maybe one spot with a chip. Most of it does seem like it’s dirt

Hi all... New to the forum.

I wish I had taken pictures of my red MX (2017, inventory model, with 2,100 miles driven in Portland, OR) before I had it repainted and wrapped with Xpel Ultimate Plus, then full Modesta coating... It had the exact same 'spray' pattern on the FWDs, as well as the plastic trim (bottom runner and wheel well).

Mine was just a tad worse than the pic of the blue MX posted here, and I just couldn't live with such damage done on my 'new' baby!

It is, indeed, chips in the paint, and not dirt - at least mine was. Now, with repainting and wrap/coat applied, it looks fantastic!

I wonder if there is any plan to change the bottom runner (lowest plastic trim between front and rear wheels) so that it was 'flared' out to minimize this obvious issue? I hate to think of increasing my drag coefficient by adding cruddy-looking mud flaps! But I truly can't think of a solution that would be in keeping with Tesla's beautiful design!

Hi all... New to the forum.

I wish I had taken pictures of my red MX (2017, inventory model, with 2,100 miles driven in Portland, OR) before I had it repainted and wrapped with Xpel Ultimate Plus, then full Modesta coating... It had the exact same 'spray' pattern on the FWDs, as well as the plastic trim (bottom runner and wheel well).

Mine was just a tad worse than the pic of the blue MX posted here, and I just couldn't live with such damage done on my 'new' baby!

It is, indeed, chips in the paint, and not dirt - at least mine was. Now, with repainting and wrap/coat applied, it looks fantastic!

I wonder if there is any plan to change the bottom runner (lowest plastic trim between front and rear wheels) so that it was 'flared' out to minimize this obvious issue? I hate to think of increasing my drag coefficient by adding cruddy-looking mud flaps! But I truly can't think of a solution that would be in keeping with Tesla's beautiful design!

My car has only slight chipping because I do mainly city driving. I still hate even slight damage, but it seems like a lot of trouble and expense to repaint the doors and remove the stock paint. I wrapped my doors now so it wouldn’t get worse, but I can still see some chips through the Xpel. Sigh...

But to be totally honest with you. Wrap the thing. You may keep it 5 years or maybe not but, that thing will look awesome the entire time you have it. Some people say just repaint it but, I am not about that game. Especially when Tesla has several difficult colors to blend.

Did anyone have issues with the sensors/cameras etc? My husband wants to do the full wrap but I'm nervous about going near the falcon doors...

Understand your point, in my discussions with one of the vendors he said the roof is one of those areas that I could probably cut. The purpose of this post was to get some real experiences like the ones you guys shared. I know by Murphy's law rocks will be attracted towards the area without protection, that is a fact :). My initial thought was to do the complete front fascia, hood and mirrors and potentially part of the doors. I will review the cost/reward of all options and share my findings for anybody interested.

Once again, thank to all who responded for your feedback

Please do share... we just ordered ours but we are backwards. My husband wants to do the whole thing and I just want to do the front... more decisions! Ugh! lol

Getting a full Xpel wrap done right now. According to the manager, Tesla and Porsche are the two brands that customers choose to do a full wrap the most often. He told me this after I had already told him I wanted to do the full wrap. Just thought it was interesting.

Please do share... we just ordered ours but we are backwards. My husband wants to do the whole thing and I just want to do the front... more decisions! Ugh! lol

After reviewing pictures and stories I have decided the take to wrap the entire car. I know this is something I will appreciate in the future it is an expensive car that I plan to keep for a few years. In our case we have a family of 5 kids and that put a lot of wear and tear on the car so this really seems like the best choice, also while I am at it I am also going to tint the windows as the heat in FL is too much for the factory tint.
I can post pictures once it is completed, I am negotiating with the vendor...

Do any wraps offer the gloss/shine that a ceramic coat offers? Doing a full wrap isn’t cheap and was hoping that there is a wrap that can cover both ends..maybe wishful thinking.

Yes Clearguard Nano is glossiest I have seen ..I use STEK which is also glossy ...I have used Suntek and expel in the past and out of all four listed above expel was the least glossiest ..happy with STEK film using now

I think I may have done a total 360 over the course of the month. I am now and thinking about doing a paint correction, full XPEL wrap, ceramic coating on top as well as coating on the glass.

The shop here in Austin looks to be doing amazing work and getting the car perfect and locking in that perfection for up to 10 years seems like a good choice. The coating is only rated for 5 years, but even then, that reduces stress and hassle for cleaning the car. I try not to obsess over cars and detailing them as much as I used to, but I'm afraid it might be coming back. My preference is to not apply any type of coating or wrap to the car, but then I've seen so many pictures here of damaged panels (mostly FWD) and that would probably just drive me nuts. I could skip the paint correction, but it might only save me $750 or so, and for that price, I may just consider making the car perfect before putting the wrap on.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and also install the XPEL XR Plus on the entire car, instead of Pinnacle F1 or XPEL XR. The extra heat rejection may be really nice in Texas. I'm looking to do the full windshield as well. I was always going to do tint, but boy am I considering adding a lot more than just that ...

Am I crazy!? :/