Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks pretty good. I always remember however, the Tesla salesman telling me, before I ordered my M3, that the computer costs more than the car. I think Tesla are still miles ahead in operating systems and battery tech. You can see that in the range that you are already getting from a tesla that is a major stretch for other manufacturers. The biggest thing for me is that my wife, who has never expressed an interest in cars in her whole life, loves our M3 and always wants to drive it. She loves it and so do my kids. Tesla's feel like the next generations vehicles of choice.

Reactions: pow216
Some missed opportunities to be cooler... say a tiny cam on the front and back wings and some jiggery-pokery so you have wing mirrors inside the car and a nice led setup on the front so the mustang gallops across with a kitt oscillating light below. At least lets hope it does coconut shell hoofbeats as a sound warning at slow speed...

• Funny
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
I'm a bit underwhelmed by it if I'm honest. It could have been a bit more of a nod towards the Y or the X but with a smidge of a snarl to it borrowed from the iconic mustang and that would have made some waves with the Ford name behind it. But instead, on the outside, it looks a bit like a Kona got jiggy with a Nissan Juke and they've now settled down to a comfortable scenario where the Juke is wearing the trousers and a wild night out is out of the question. Interior looks great in this concept guise and it might be appealing to those who are scared of taking the Tesla route but inside, it does look a bit like its performing cover versions of other peoples songs instead of writing its own tunes.

Sure the Model X is defined mainly by it's weirdness and the fact it looks like something out of 70s TV series UFO but that's kind of what makes it unique. The X carries its weird looks with a boldness that makes you respect it. Like it strolled into a hotel lobby to check whilst acting like it owns the place. This just looks a bit more like it'll be on destination charger in the corner of a Premiere Inn car park. Hopefully the Y will carry the X's boldness through into the same territory as the Mustang in the same price category and hopefully keep that theme going.

Part of me is a little relieved if I'm honest. Even though my Model 3 doesn't arrive for another week, I still feel very protective of a brand I've bought into and whilst, compared to many on here, I'm technically a bandwagon jumper, the longer I can ride the wave of alternative before it all goes mainstream the better. This Ford makes me feel safe that the exclusive club many of us like in the secret world of Tesla EVs will remain a little longer. I feel a little childish saying that as I'm way past my half century but I find that childish approach prevails, even though I know I should be more adult about what is ultimately just a car!

The cynic in me also felt like the review was a little too enthusiastic given that it's going to be hard to spot one on the road outside the Mustang styling nods. I Couldn't help imagining that there was a recent meeting at TG where someone pointed out they'd better start getting onboard with electric because as a media source, like many of the manufacturers, they didn't see the freight train coming. And since Tesla don't advertise, we better be nice to our bread and butter!

I may have overthought this a little I suppose. Perhaps when my 3 arrives, I'll just go for a drive and give it a big chunk less thought!

Reactions: Compuguide
There's lots to like, I think, about them producing a good longer range EV and a lot has gone into its design. Great to see another big manufacturer enter the fray seriously. Are they planning to sell it in genuinely big numbers? My last car was a Ford and I have generally liked them - that was cheaper and drove at least as well as the alternatives, plus it didn't have any major reliability issues and lasted well. Not pretty though.

However... Yet another SUV? Or maybe more accurately a crossover. All that extra wind resistance over building pretty much the same interior space in a lower format family car, where the only real advantage is to get into a slightly higher seat if you're physically limited, and your eyes are a few inches higher while driving. In a world where (A) range is the obsession, particularly for buyers of their first EV, and (B) we go electric for environmental reasons, this thing could probably have added 20% range for this design choice, or used 20% less lithium-ion, and could either way be using 20% less power for its whole life (my 20% is a plug figure but I doubt it'll be far wrong).

They all cry that the market wants SUVs, but it's not that simple. It's not just responding to demand, both the supply and the demand sides of the market are pushing SUVs.

Reactions: GSP
I like the Mustang’s overall style. You usually get good value with Ford. I liked the dual screens, steering wheel controls and The use of other manual functions. I’m afraid that the minimalist approach doesn’t work IMHO.

There's lots to like, I think, about them producing a good longer range EV and a lot has gone into its design. Great to see another big manufacturer enter the fray seriously. Are they planning to sell it in genuinely big numbers? My last car was a Ford and I have generally liked them - that was cheaper and drove at least as well as the alternatives, plus it didn't have any major reliability issues and lasted well. Not pretty though.

However... Yet another SUV? Or maybe more accurately a crossover. All that extra wind resistance over building pretty much the same interior space in a lower format family car, where the only real advantage is to get into a slightly higher seat if you're physically limited, and your eyes are a few inches higher while driving. In a world where (A) range is the obsession, particularly for buyers of their first EV, and (B) we go electric for environmental reasons, this thing could probably have added 20% range for this design choice, or used 20% less lithium-ion, and could either way be using 20% less power for its whole life (my 20% is a plug figure but I doubt it'll be far wrong).

They all cry that the market wants SUVs, but it's not that simple. It's not just responding to demand, both the supply and the demand sides of the market are pushing SUVs.

Some very valid points. Adverts telling everyone they need more space and greater safety for the kids and lovely weekends away in the country driving across scottish hillsides...
A reaity check is that one partner really only needs a single seater commuter car with modest boot space in case of some shopping. the other partner just wants a car to run the kids to school and the either go on to their own job or get supplies etc. It's a rare weekend away or holiday or going to see grandma when they all get in the car together.
So who wants to create a startup? A single seater car with an attachable family pod. Single seater has one drive unit and small 100 mile battery. The close coupled pod battery extends to 400 mile range. Drop kids and the pod at school. You dock the second single seater unit side-by-side for w/e away......

...think of the benefits - you communicate with partner by intercom but can turn round to clip the kids behind their ears. If you want some peace and quiet then close off your unit, let partner drive and stick your seat into recline and massage....

The base model is two Sinclair C5's and a rickshaw.

I think it’s got a lot going for it. Good performance, decent range and competitive price. I particularly like the instrument binnacle. I really think the M3 should have a Model S style binnacle or, even better, an HUD.
I heard Elon was not a fan of HUD's (he does like good audio though) . Personally I would swap 6 of the speakers for a HUD if I had the option.

I think it’s got a lot going for it. Good performance, decent range and competitive price. I particularly like the instrument binnacle. I really think the M3 should have a Model S style binnacle or, even better, an HUD.

Before i had my Model 3, I thought this too - it really needs another binnacle display or a HUD, but now that i've had the car for a while i have to say i dont miss the binnacle at all, in fact when i drive other cars that have them, it seems like unnecessary clutter!

Reactions: pow216
i dont miss the binnacle at all, in fact when i drive other cars that have them, it seems like unnecessary clutter!

I quite agree (or think I will when I get my M3!)

For me a Tesla inside is like the iphone, its clean modern... this Mustang is more like an old Nokia or Blackberry with buttons everywhere, including on the display :eek:

For my taste, not to keen on the front end either, looks like the original Model S in some ways, and the horse graphic is well, cheesy.

But good to have some competitors.. it will be good for us all, and the planet.

It’s the taking your eyes off the road to successfully hit a small point somewhere on a 15” screen to activate a function - that’s the cause of concern and the problem Is made even worse if you need reading glasses! It was is great idea when you are sat behind a desk - not so easy if you are travelling down some twist windy British road in the dark and pouring rain. I’m sure this idea will evolve back to convention or to a HUD - either with finger tip controls.