Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach-E Gets Great Reviews = Model 3 Challenger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Norway is the best place for a non-Tesla EVs since there are cheap fast chargers everywhere. Bjorn's been testing EVs for a long time and he's tested nearly everything.

I think people expected the Mustang to leapfrog the competition after all of that development time and the large 99 kWh battery so it's been underwhelming. Also, I would have thought a car designed by a non-California company like Ford would have done better in winter.

No heated windshield in the US.

I gave up pretty fast on the video. I get this guy is some sort of EV Celeb, but when making my decision I did not ask "but how will this car perform in Norwegian winter?"

Another Bjorn video comparing charging speeds between the Mach-E and other vehicles:

Interesting that the Mach-E charges fairly fast right up until it hits 80% and then the speed drops to ~12kW. (He says that it takes about an hour to go from 80%-90%.)

Reactions: mark95476
Thanks for the post.

Ford needs to fix that shortly after getting to mass production. Nobody is going to appreciate Mustangs camping at fast chargers.
Also, seems like Ford will also recover some of that 99 kWh gross (==> 85 kWh net) battery and get additional range after they get more data.

Another Bjorn video comparing charging speeds between the Mach-E and other vehicles:

Interesting that the Mach-E charges fairly fast right up until it hits 80% and then the speed drops to ~12kW. (He says that it takes about an hour to go from 80%-90%.)

Yes, Ford is currently being very conservative with the battery, both in terms of charging curve and useable capacity. The "80% cliff" is real, and that's why Ford only advertises the time to recharge back to 80%. You need overnight charging to get back to 100%. There is absolutely no point in trying to "fast charge" past 80%.

As Ford collects more data on battery performance, I expect it may permit fast charging past 80%. I would be more skeptical of Ford opening up more useable capacity.

Another area where the MME currently struggles in precharge conditioning. There is none to speak of, and this seems to have been highly detrimental to cold weather charging tests. Ford is expected to add this very soon via OTA update, but I'm not sure if it will be a manual feature, activated by navigating to a charge point, or both.

Yes, Ford is currently being very conservative with the battery, both in terms of charging curve and useable capacity. The "80% cliff" is real, and that's why Ford only advertises the time to recharge back to 80%. You need overnight charging to get back to 100%. There is absolutely no point in trying to "fast charge" past 80%.

As Ford collects more data on battery performance, I expect it may permit fast charging past 80%. I would be more skeptical of Ford opening up more useable capacity.

Another area where the MME currently struggles in precharge conditioning. There is none to speak of, and this seems to have been highly detrimental to cold weather charging tests. Ford is expected to add this very soon via OTA update, but I'm not sure if it will be a manual feature, activated by navigating to a charge point, or both.

Sure. Based on Ford’s history of upgrading vehicles after they leave the factory via downloads I totally believe this.

Bjorn has released his 1,000km challenge video for the Mach-E:

It did pretty good, and like others have said Ford has told him that they are still working on finishing the software. (Fixing the navigation system so it works at all, and tuning/fixing the charging issues, etc.)

It's kinda nutty, but the existing system is already obsolete and Ford is planning is to off-load this to Google.

Bjorn has released his 1,000km challenge video for the Mach-E:

It did pretty good, and like others have said Ford has told him that they are still working on finishing the software. (Fixing the navigation system so it works at all, and tuning/fixing the charging issues, etc.)

Y'all know - no one's expecting Ford to deliver a perfect EV that blows Tesla to the roadside.

The hope is that they're going to deliver a compelling alternative, which it appears to be.

The hope is that they will further develop the technology - stand behind their product - and not treat its owners like lepers in heat when the car needs some TLC.

If you view the MME solely as an affront to your portfolio, I suppose you'll just need to deal with it...

Reactions: redalf
Do you work for Ford or a Ford dealer?

I wish. Then I'd get A-Plan pricing!

I do not expect Ford to be as quick or far reaching as Tesla with OTA updates. The first major issue the MME encountered (low voltage 12 battery) could have been fixed OTA, but Ford required affected cars to return to the dealership for the update. Ford is being cautious, and that's fine by me for now.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
I believe it. Ford’s gone all in on the MME as a Tesla competitor. Competitive charging and OTA updates are a part of this.

Uhmm.... what? 1) What ICE model is the MME replacing? All in would mean that some ICE models are all out.

2) Charging of the MME is unfortunately non competitive. When it works (and it is a BIG when), then with a hot battery you can charge it to 80% only. A lot of people at MachEForums are disappointed.

3) OTA updates ... what OTA? How many OTA has Ford done so far? MME owners should cross their fingers that IF Ford decides to try OTA updates, they will not brick their vehicles.

By the way, here is another safety issue with the MME: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/door-not-closing.3798/

Y'all know - no one's expecting Ford to deliver a perfect EV that blows Tesla to the roadside.

But but Ford execs basically said that the Mach-E will blow Teslas off the road. They said that they know better than Tesla how to make a great EV.

The hope is that they're going to deliver a compelling alternative, which it appears to be.

The hope is that they will further develop the technology - stand behind their product - and not treat its owners like lepers in heat when the car needs some TLC.

If you view the MME solely as an affront to your portfolio, I suppose you'll just need to deal with it...

That part worries me. I am not sure if Ford will want to and be able to stand behind the MME and actually fix it and improve it.

You must not visit the macheforum site ;) That is exactly what the last 15 months of 10,000+ posts were about. At least up until the last few weeks when a small number of cars started being delivered and there are too many issues to list. Some MME owners have had the car at the dealer for issues 12 out of 14 days of ownership. Panel gaps, wind noise, and other "legacy oem" core competencies are even in question. Even the puddle lights work sporadically. Kind of humorous actually.

I am not sure if Ford will want to and be able to stand behind the MME and actually fix it and improve it.

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr