Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach-E Gets Great Reviews = Model 3 Challenger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am concerned about this because when people have bad experience with a new EV they may tell their friends that EVs are not good, they are not for trips, not for bad weather, and fewer people will look at EVs (yes, including Tesla). My "conspiracy theory" was that Ford is intentionally going to screw up the Mach-E to give EVs bad reputation and claim no customer interest before killing the Mach-E. At that time I was questioning my own sanity ... but I am not so sure that's crazy anymore.

The MME is a false flag operation hatched by Ford to harm EVs..... No, I can verify that’s cuckoo bananas level crazy.

To each his own. Some people enjoy (much, much) more leisurely road trips.

I do think you might be fudging the “only had to stop 25mins every 2 hours” just a little bit - even with the vaunted Supercharger network. Two hours of highway speed is approaching the limit for an 80% charge, and 25mins to get back from near empty to 80% is optimistic. To maintain such range and recharge numbers consistently on a long road trip would require optimal conditions and a fortuitous string of Supercharger locations.

I’m not saying it can’t be done - I’m just saying it’s not nearly as fast as driving an ICE.
I don't believe that you have much experience road tripping in a tesla

I don't believe that you have much experience road tripping in a tesla

Dude Whatever. I have several road trips in my M3P (+800mi) and it is not optimal. It may simply be a cultural thing but where I am from stopping in the hinterland every 2.5hrs is not cool. My family typically takes 2 or 3 road trips a year (over 10hrs) and taking the Tesla adds at least 2hrs with charging. In an ICE we may make one stop for lunch at maybe 2 for gas (5min MAX). That with the added stress of limited charging (which is ironically why I would not consider a non Tesla EV at this time) makes road trips in an EV (tesla or otherwise) a no go FOR NOW. If a trip is more than 3 hrs take an ICE. Trust me. Unless you are a geriatric and have some condition that requires frequent breaks roadtriping in an ev is no Bueno until we a) get more charges on hwy routes. At least one fast DC for every 50 MI (ideally every exit) or b) increase highway range (city EPA is irrelevant) to at least 220MI at 80% charge AT REAL HWY SPEEDS of +75MPH. This will require EVs to have either bigger batteries (expensive), different gearing (like Taycan but introducing points of failure), or new battery chemistry (hard to predict).

Dude Whatever. I have several road trips in my M3P (+800mi) and it is not optimal. It may simply be a cultural thing but where I am from stopping in the hinterland every 2.5hrs is not cool. My family typically takes 2 or 3 road trips a year (over 10hrs) and taking the Tesla adds at least 2hrs with charging. In an ICE we may make one stop for lunch at maybe 2 for gas (5min MAX). That with the added stress of limited charging (which is ironically why I would not consider a non Tesla EV at this time) makes road trips in an EV (tesla or otherwise) a no go FOR NOW. If a trip is more than 3 hrs take an ICE. Trust me. Unless you are a geriatric and have some condition that requires frequent breaks roadtriping in an ev is no Bueno until we a) get more charges on hwy routes. At least one fast DC for every 50 MI (ideally every exit) or b) increase highway range (city EPA is irrelevant) to at least 220MI at 80% charge AT REAL HWY SPEEDS of +75MPH. This will require EVs to have either bigger batteries (expensive), different gearing (like Taycan but introducing points of failure), or new battery chemistry (hard to predict).

After taking my model S on road trips, I don’t enjoy taking my ICE for road trips any more. Sounds like you prefer just getting to a destination as quickly as possible. I can understand that. But I like the ride and autopilot and less “fatigue” with long distance travel. The Plaid+ with that range should be enough.

Try to listen at higher volume. You will hear the screen whine.

So I guess this is the thread where we mine every issue from the MME forum and copy it over here. Ok. The coil whine would def bother me if it is in my car. The car I test drove I didn’t hear anything but I didn’t have a lot of time with the car. Keep in mind most people don’t drive with their heads pressed up inches from the screen like the phones used to make these recordings (maybe Tesla drivers have to do this to see how fast they are going?). Some people are also a lot more sensitive than others to certain frequencies. So hard to tell at this point.

Who knows this could be part of Ford’s diabolical false flag operation to sour the public on both their most treasured brand as well as EVs in general. Take that Musk!!

To each his own. Some people enjoy (much, much) more leisurely road trips.

I do think you might be fudging the “only had to stop 25mins every 2 hours” just a little bit - even with the vaunted Supercharger network. Two hours of highway speed is approaching the limit for an 80% charge, and 25mins to get back from near empty to 80% is optimistic. To maintain such range and recharge numbers consistently on a long road trip would require optimal conditions and a fortuitous string of Supercharger locations.

I’m not saying it can’t be done - I’m just saying it’s not nearly as fast as driving an ICE.
Try it you may be surprised as we have taken NUMEROUS trips in the Model 3 frequently covering 645 miles in a day. We stop every 3-4 hours for a restroom, food, or drink and we have not been able to order and eat a fast food meal before Tesla is sending a notification that we are ready to proceed.

Reactions: SO16 and Foxtrotter
So I guess this is the thread where we mine every issue from the MME forum and copy it over here. Ok.
Yes. Maybe. I think that a good chunk of the MME forum was like that (bashing Tesla) until a few days ago...
Also, I was seriously considering the Mach-E, so it is pretty important to discuss first-year issues and see how Ford responds and/or fixes them.

The coil whine would def bother me if it is in my car. The car I test drove I didn’t hear anything but I didn’t have a lot of time with the car. Keep in mind most people don’t drive with their heads pressed up inches from the screen like the phones used to make these recordings (maybe Tesla drivers have to do this to see how fast they are going?). Some people are also a lot more sensitive than others to certain frequencies. So hard to tell at this point.
I think it will be not that much of a big deal in city driving. However, on a road trip.. at night ... with family sleeping or trying to sleep... it is important that more people know about this now before investing in the car.

10h trip in Model 3 with 3 stops is doable too. But most likely it will take longer than a trip with 4 stops because of charging somewhere like 10-90%. When I was very young and not very smart I was also taking trips in cannonball-like style. That's really taxing and no fun at all. Driving in Tesla 90% of the trip on AutoPilot gave me for the first time the opportunity to enjoy the road.

• Informative
Reactions: Foxtrotter and SO16
It could partly be where you’re driving. When I drive from Kansas to the Rockies, I want to get there ASAP. There ain’t nothing pretty about western Kansas / eastern Colorado on I-70.

For some, I think EV-trippin has become the new version of RV-trippin, and that’s cool. Not judging.

It will be interesting to see who ultimately wins the charger war. Tesla’s got a huge head start but I question the long term viability of stations that are proprietary to one brand. Looks like everybody else is coalescing around CCS.

Last edited:
It could partly be where you’re driving. When I drive from Kansas to the Rockies, I want to get there ASAP. There ain’t nothing pretty about western Kansas / eastern Colorado on I-70.

For some, I think EV-trippin has become the new version of RV-trippin, and that’s cool. Not judging.

It will be interesting to see who ultimately wins the charger war. Tesla’s got a huge head start but I question the long term viability of stations that are proprietary to one brand. Looks like everybody else is coalescing around CCM.

Those other chargers often have fewer stalls. Also it’s a pain to fart around with the screen rather than just plug and go. Sounds like some charger networks are trying to make it more seamless.

There has been some talk about Tesla opening up their network.

Tesla could offer a CCS adapter in the US like they do in Europe (albeit a different version of it).

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod

It will be interesting to see who ultimately wins the charger war. Tesla’s got a huge head start but I question the long term viability of stations that are proprietary to one brand. Looks like everybody else is coalescing around CCS.

KC to Denver - 600 miles, 2 stops for charging and rest in Salina and Colby. With an ICE car you probably can do it with 1 stop (Hays?) in some 30 minutes less than with Tesla. I would probably still do this trip with 2 stops no matter what I drive. By the way, I like the view of wind turbines in Kansas.

On the future of CCS in the US, EVgo enters the Tesla network and adds Tesla plugs to all their stations.

KC to Denver - 600 miles, 2 stops for charging and rest in Salina and Colby. With an ICE car you probably can do it with 1 stop (Hays?) in some 30 minutes less than with Tesla. I would probably still do this trip with 2 stops no matter what I drive. By the way, I like the view of wind turbines in Kansas.

Probably add one more stop along the way because actually running yourself down to 10-20% is awfully risky out in the wastelands. And then add another stop in Denver unless you’re done driving for the day. EV proponents tend to gloss over charging constraints - not just Tesla owners.

• Informative
Reactions: BooMan
So I had no idea this thread would turn into conspiracy theory central.

I started the thread because I had read a very positive review of the Mach-E - and was curious about others' thoughts of a legitimate challenger to the M3

There isn't some ulterior motive. The thread isn't some indictment of owning a Tesla. (Gee - I have one too.)

Tesla has major issues, and the company shows little interest in cleaning up its act.

So like any consumer with a functional brain, I've been eagerly waiting for some viable alternatives to show up.

For the record - you are completely out of your gourd if you believe Ford is intentionally botching the Mach-E release to indict the EV experience and keep ICE as king.

If you're waking up to a -8 degree morning in Tulsa or Dallas - that's called climate change. And thank god there are enough smart minds at other automakers not named Tesla to realize this.

If you enjoy driving, and don't want your kids to live in some climate controlled dome near Tucson, you'd better hope Ford is successful.

Same for VW - Nissan etc

Speaking of conspiracy theories.... I remember the good old days when “climate change” was called “global warming.” Not every weather anomaly is caused by human CO2 emissions. The extent to which such emissions impact climate, and how, is still far from certain.

But from a carbon emission and overall environmental impact standpoint, EVs are filthy. From the coal used to power them to the lithium and other REMs mined to make their batteries. I like them because they are fun to drive. I wish folks would just stick to that. If you think you’re helping to save the planet with your new $50k car, good on you. :)

By the way, all those wind farms installed to fight global warming are currently becoming inoperable because... it’s too cold. Leading to rolling blackouts. There’s a word for this....