Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach-E Gets Great Reviews = Model 3 Challenger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And finally, he spends an inordinate amount of time debating whether it’s a Mustang. I get that this matters to a small group of enthusiasts - maybe his audience. Respectfully, I don’t think it matters to most people. Ford has decided to expand the Mustang brand from just V6-8 coupes to a more all-inclusive performance/luxury brand. Nothing wrong with that.
Spoken like a true non-Mustang enthusiast. :D (Not intended in any way as an insult.) Considering “Mustang” is one of the most recognizable names in the automotive world, it makes sense to focus on it. I agree it matters deeply to a relatively small group of people, but there is a whole lot wrong with it. In short, a Mustang was never intended as a practical, 4-door, family vehicle. IMO, Ford should have followed in Tesla’s footsteps, in a sense, by adding some fun to an EV and make it a sporty, 2-door, 2+2 if they were to use the Mustang name. To consider a Mustang anything else goes against its entire heritage.

That said, from a business perspective, I can understand why Ford did it. It is a very recognizable brand name and they want their first ever EV to succeed as much as possible. No other model name in their stable (pun intended :D) would work as well as “Mustang.” And, if they were to make a less practical, sporty, 2-door, 2+2, EV it wouldn’t sell nearly as well since that market segment is much smaller.

Personally, I think Ford should have called it Lightning. It’s not a short bed pickup truck, but still seems more fitting. :D

I have been reading for months (maybe a year?) on that forum how the MME with Android Auto/Carplay is a huge selling point. Tons of Tesla bashing about not having AA/CP. So funny how people "think" they want something because is sounds logical....only to find out maybe there was a reason Tesla has it all under their control. The first hint was a few weeks ago where PaaK does not work on Android and it is due to AA bugs. Now more issues and the light bulb is going on ;) Sure, choice is nice...but not always seamless.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/navigation-software-preconditioning.3614/post-114224

Spoken like a true non-Mustang enthusiast. :D (Not intended in any way as an insult.) Considering “Mustang” is one of the most recognizable names in the automotive world, it makes sense to focus on it. I agree it matters deeply to a relatively small group of people, but there is a whole lot wrong with it.

Yup, that’s fair. No offense taken. I’ll be first to admit I’ve never been a sports car guy. I like the way they look but I’ve never wanted one for a daily driver. I’m the SUV / Crossover guy that annoys all the driving purists. I want a functional second row, storage space, and a higher ride. But the MME gives me all that plus some damned sexy styling and instant-torque push-you-back-in-your-seat acceleration. Win-win-win.

I also get to annoy a few friends and family who are current/former Mustang owners. It’s hilarious to watch my wife - not exactly a car girl but a stang was her first car - roll her eyes and say “that’s not a Mustang.”

I have been reading for months (maybe a year?) on that forum how the MME with Android Auto/Carplay is a huge selling point. Tons of Tesla bashing about not having AA/CP. So funny how people "think" they want something because is sounds logical....only to find out maybe there was a reason Tesla has it all under their control. The first hint was a few weeks ago where PaaK does not work on Android and it is due to AA bugs. Now more issues and the light bulb is going on ;) Sure, choice is nice...but not always seamless.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/navigation-software-preconditioning.3614/post-114224

I don’t get all the buzz about this stuff, personally. I like my iPhone but I’m not sure why I’ve gotta have CarPlay. I don’t know - maybe it’s really cool and I just need to learn about it.

Yup, that’s fair. No offense taken. I’ll be first to admit I’ve never been a sports car guy. I like the way they look but I’ve never wanted one for a daily driver. I’m the SUV / Crossover guy that annoys all the driving purists. I want a functional second row, storage space, and a higher ride. But the MME gives me all that plus some damned sexy styling and instant-torque push-you-back-in-your-seat acceleration. Win-win-win.

I also get to annoy a few friends and family who are current/former Mustang owners. It’s hilarious to watch my wife - not exactly a car girl but a stang was her first car - roll her eyes and say “that’s not a Mustang.”

What happens when you beat the ICE Mustang in all aspects of racing? Lol

Only thing keeping me from putting down a deposit is the Cybertruck and the lack of range from the AWD. I’m hoping Ford brings out software updates quickly to extant range.

I’m with you that the styling is better than the Model Y

Bjorn finally got his hands on a Mach-E and is busy testing it. He has completed the initial range tests for the AWD version with the extended range battery pack: 217 miles at 56 MPH, 163 miles at 75 MPH. (And it has an EPA estimated range of 270 miles. But this was in the cold with freezing rain, so it is likely to be better in the summer.) Worse than the I-Pace that has a smaller battery...

He hasn't released his 1000km challenge video yet, but from the live streams it seems like it may have suffered from #RapidGate starting about halfway through the test. (Where the charging speed gets throttled early, like happened with the new Nissan Leaf recently.)

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476
I don’t get all the buzz about this stuff, personally. I like my iPhone but I’m not sure why I’ve gotta have CarPlay. I don’t know - maybe it’s really cool and I just need to learn about it.

My understanding is that in cars with poor navigation and entertainment software, having your phone on bigger screen would make a lot of sense. Then even a 20k Kia can have real-time traffic aware navigation miles better than a 60k Lexus. Tesla was (and probably is) the first car company that is NOT lazy on software development.

Which is another reason I think Ford (from a business perspective) made the right call; it pokes at people emotions and gets them talking...which spreads the word...which will (hopefully) turn into sales. :D

I am happy to say that our apartment building will install a level 2 charger for any tenant with an assigned space. (For a fee of $70/month but no charge for electricity.)

Awesome!

In our townhome our prospects for charging are 'trickle-charging only' for the foreseeable future. So, we're moving. :D It's a lot to get some real charging for two Teslas but there will be other perks for the move too (bit more space, yard, driveway, etc.). It's been a ton of work but things are moving quickly!

We spent 17 years in our first home so I guess it was time to move up anyway.

Bjorn finally got his hands on a Mach-E and is busy testing it. He has completed the initial range tests for the AWD version with the extended range battery pack: 217 miles at 56 MPH, 163 miles at 75 MPH. (And it has an EPA estimated range of 270 miles. But this was in the cold with freezing rain, so it is likely to be better in the summer.) Worse than the I-Pace that has a smaller battery...

He hasn't released his 1000km challenge video yet, but from the live streams it seems like it may have suffered from #RapidGate starting about halfway through the test. (Where the charging speed gets throttled early, like happened with the new Nissan Leaf recently.)

Interesting to watch, like many Bjorn videos*. The vehicle seems nice. The range is a bit disappointing - especially given this was the Extended Range edition. But, as indicated, that was in winter conditions, which affects all EVs. I will be interested to see his further reviews as they come.

*(Although a bit nerve-wracking to watch too, as he gave a pretty extensive video review while driving in freezing rain!)

On a different issue, is not the title of this thread wrong? Clearly the Mach E comparator is the Model Y, not the Model 3. Looking at it in the video, the vehicle is an SUV, not a car - and I do not think that Ford suggests otherwise, despite the Mustang nameplate.

Last edited:

It's very handy when you're in the car a lot trying to work sending texts and / or making calls. Much more fluid than Tesla's system. Also, the ability to run Waze on a large screen while driving is great. And yes, I know about the Waze mobile site you can run on the browser. Again not as good.

I had it on my previous car and miss it in the Tesla. Even something as simple as making a phone call.

Reactions: BooMan
Thanks for the posts and updates.

My summary:

- Comfortable, quiet ride
- Can charge fast, when conditioned
- Not efficient (semi-thirsty/thirsty)
- Heated windshield++
- PTC heater, no heatpump
- Ford's autopilot will bounce between lanes
- Front radar not heated so it can get iced up and disable autopilot
- Lots of SW problems (navigation was completely borked)
- Good value for the money

Here is another Bjorn video:

It appears that if you are using the heat in the cabin it doesn't have enough heating capacity to keep the battery warm at the same time, so it ends up ColdGating, charging slow in the cold, even after a long drive.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Thanks for the posts and updates.

My summary:

- Comfortable, quiet ride
- Can charge fast, when conditioned
- Not efficient (semi-thirsty/thirsty)
- Heated windshield++
- PTC heater, no heatpump
- Ford's autopilot will bounce between lanes
- Front radar not heated so it can get iced up and disable autopilot
- Lots of SW problems (navigation was completely borked)
- Good value for the money

No heated windshield in the US.

I gave up pretty fast on the video. I get this guy is some sort of EV Celeb, but when making my decision I did not ask "but how will this car perform in Norwegian winter?"

Serious question. Why is there no track mode on the Mach E? Seen a great video comparing to the actual mustang. At the end of the video, the mustang is spinning away and the Mach E just sits there.
I don't think Ford is serious about the Mach E being a performance vehicle. If they were, they would give their customers and option to have fun.

There are three different modes: Whisper, Engage, and Unbridled. Best I can tell, they make slight differences in responsiveness of the gas/brake pedal and steering, but that seems like about it. Interestingly, Ford claims that the mode has no impact on range.

I don’t know what a “track mode” is. But when I saw the spin out at the end of the video, my only thought was “he’s gonna burn through tires pretty quick.” Not a sports car guy so I probably just won’t understand, but what’s cool about shedding tire tread without moving? :)

Here is another Bjorn video:

It appears that if you are using the heat in the cabin it doesn't have enough heating capacity to keep the battery warm at the same time, so it ends up ColdGating, charging slow in the cold, even after a long drive.
What is all of that white stuff covering the surface on which the Mach E is driving ?

California's great central valley is just wondering...

• Funny
Reactions: BooMan
What is all of that white stuff covering the surface on which the Mach E is driving ?

California's great central valley is just wondering...

I’ve watched a lot of MME vids. Kind of obsessed. And it is funny just how many of them are driving around in that white stuff. Like, a majority of the reviews at least. I guess this is what happens when you start delivery amid a once in a century arctic blast.