Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach E is a Gamechanger - My Opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? I test drove a model 3 before I bought- and that was back in 2018.

...is 7 days more than any other brand of car I'm aware of.
Tesla sales go online-only amid huge test drive change

They ONLY offer the 7 day return BECAUSE they don't offer test drives.

"...Since people are still going to want to drive a car before they commit, Tesla is taking a different approach there: more along the lines of a comprehensive refund policy than a traditional test-drive. Buyers will be able to purchase a new Tesla online, and then return it within seven days or 1,000 miles driving."

??? "...Lets put some on the wheel. Lets put some on the screen. Lets put some below the screen. Lets put some by the arm rest."
Both S and X have steering wheel controls, not to mention column stocks! The same thing with the armrests on both doors, the Ford center console isn't an "armrest" btw, and there isn't anything below the screen, just a dial on the screen. But then again, just as many people complained when the Model 3 did away with all of the above.

I am sorry that I would rest my right arm on the center console like I have all cars that have a center console. Isnt that the reason they are padded? On the Mach-E there is a dial right there for me to change from R N D P. That isnt on the screen, that isnt on the steering column. It is another place in the car. Honestly it also has an on/off button. The current X and S with interiors designed in 6+ years ago reflect the past anyway. When Tesla updates the S and X do you think they will take what the 3 and Y did and do that or will they go back and move controls away from steering column and screen.

I get it car manufacturers want to make people feel like they are in an airplane cockpit or a sportscar where they are tweaking everything. When in reality they arent and they wont tweak everything while driving. People are moving to simplicity. It is like car manufacturers putting an automatic gear shift in the center so people can feel like they are driving a stick shift. At first oh cool look at me, then you go what a waste of space.

Because Tesla is the only company that doesn't allow for test drives, doesn't have a long enough history for that model to verify "known issues" and they only give you 7 days to return it which means anything discovered thereafter means you have to fight them to get fixed or replaced. Your only other option is to sell it tbh.

The OP’s main complaint has been with fit and finish issues. These can easily be inspected prior to taking delivery of the car.

And any local sales office can arrange a test drive of any Tesla vehicle. We have had zero service issues on either car after a full year of ownership.

And what other car company offers a 7 day return policy?

Last edited:
Uh- your link is from a year ago- and they reversed that decision almost immediately.

Tesla shares rise after company reverses decision to close all stores

Tesla absolutely offers test drives.

And a 7 day longer return policy than anybody else does AFAIK
Then I stand corrected, when we went to our SC last month (Dedham MA) they didn't have a Model X to test drive...we were told we would have to schedule one online and then they would contact us when one became available. After not hearing back for a week I was told the same thing, and as of the other day I just gave up calling and will just stop by the next time I'm in the area.

The bottom line is that unlike other dealerships, Tesla doesn't always have loaners or vehicles to test drive and that has been shown here time and again (think Uber credits vs. Musk's promise of "you'll get a Performance model as a loaner!" Tesla Model S Loaners For Tesla Model S Owners, Elon Musk Says

I get the issue, but for someone that randomly walks in hoping to take one for a spin, that's not always the truth unfortunately and varies by location tbh.

I don't have any particular loyalty to Tesla, I drove a Nissan Leaf for 4 years before getting my TM3. Both are electric cars made in America (the Leaf is made in Smyrna, TN) and the Leaf was a HELL of a lot cheaper in terms of out the door price after incentives and negotiations. It was a great car for 98% of the driving I do... I mostly just wanted something faster and more sporty to drive so I got the Tesla. There is no reason why other carmakers can't put out compelling EVs in the next 5 years that compete with what Tesla offers just like Samsung was able to do with the Galaxy phones or cater to a different demographic like Motorola has been able to do with the Moto G series in the budget market (loved my Moto G4). It remains to be seen if Ford has done so with the Mach-E but it is great to see another automaker go all-in on one.

Yeah. I'm in a similar boat, I wouldn't say I have any particular loyalty to Tesla, but I am impressed by their leadership in the space and definitely feel positively about the brand compared to competitors at this time, but I felt the same way about the iPhone back in 2008, yet here I am in 2020 and my last 3 phones have been Galaxy models and it will likely continue that way for the foreseeable future.

If it's all so well known why can't the other automakers match their efficiency? Is it all in the software?

I think it really comes down to the fact that Tesla set out to build electric cars. They threw away all the assumptions and started clean. Everything from the design of their wheel bearings to seals to aero, to inverter efficiency. Everything.

The rest of the car companies cant keep up because they havent done the same. Do you think the brake pads on the Mach E pull back so they dont sweep the rotor? Do you think they used parts bin wheel bearings or designed all new ones? The proof is in the pudding.

They cant match the range with equivalent or even bigger batteries because they have not religiously chased parasitic losses out of their vehicles. They Porsche Taycan is the greatest example of this. Even with its massive battery and slick aero it cant touch Tesla.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Everything from the design of their wheel bearings to seals to aero, to inverter efficiency. Everything.

Not everything. The Model S and X use Mercedes parts for the steering wheel and column and brembo makes the brake system which is not unique. I would be surprised if Tesla's wheel bearings are a unique design. I think many of Tesla's "normal" car parts are sourced from regular vendors.

The bottom line is that unlike other dealerships, Tesla doesn't always have loaners or vehicles to test drive

Other dealerships sometimes have this problem too.

I can think of times I've gone to at least 3 or 4 other brands dealers to test drive a specific car that it turns out they didn't have any to test drive because they were popular cars (IS-F, GS-F, Golf R, and an automatic Vette a few months after the C7 launch to name at least 4 off the top of my head from 3 different brands the last couple times I went car shopping)

And there's been plenty of stories of other brands where they didn't have a "comparable" loaner and gave a car from Enterprise or something- a thing Tesla has also done... (the uber credits thing some Tesla shops do seems unique though!)

Corvette C8 has totally sold out their allotments for dealers prior to even producing their first customer car.

When there is a line around the block waiting to take delivery on a new Model Y, Tesla would be hard pressed to produce hundreds of showroom demo models, that would only make that line longer.

When there is a line around the block waiting to take delivery on a new Model Y, Tesla would be hard pressed to produce hundreds of showroom demo models, that would only make that line longer.

Elon made a promise once that all their loaners would be P100D Model Ss so everyone could experience the best car they make. But with the sales on the 3 being so huge I think they're having trouble keeping that promise.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Elon does not promise, but makes plans that often do not become reality.

Elon wants to provide high end loaners, so people in for service can experience a top of the line model and perhaps buy one.

Imagine someone inside the company ran the numbers and presented them to Elon. Pressures to make the company profitable perhaps were a reason it has not happened.

Elon is a dreamer. He makes great plans and while they often fall short, or take more time than expected, he still accomplishes more than most of us could ever dream.

Best to judge Elon by what he has accomplished, than by what he says.

Reactions: BulldogsRus