Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach E? What will I forgo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have upgraded to HW3, MCU2, AP3, the 2019 E-Tron is a fine car, but it can only ever be a 2019 E-Tron, no OTA upgrades, and not good on a long road trip, imo.
Notice how much non-OTA upgrades you needed to have done on the MS75 in just a couple years? You seem to have a double standard.

I had a pre-Raven S. OTAs didn’t stop or delay it from being dated any more than our ICE. Some nice gimmicks, sure. Tesla fixing what nearly every other manufacturer would have fixed prior to the model is released? Yes. Tesla unlocking things I already paid for, for another charge? Yes.

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
Here's my take on it.

Model Y LR dual motor vs Mach E LR dual motor
* Cost will be the same with federal incentive (Ford will probably cut prices down the line similar to Tesla)
* Range should be equivalent. (Model Y real world range is around 260-280. Ford is understating like the other automakers)

+ efficiency, range is the same but Ford has 10 kwh more usable space. (they also have a 11% buffer so daily charge would be 100% not 90%
+ 0-60 by 0.7 seconds (Ford's motors are capable of more power and may be upgraded in the future, it's already been bumped up)
+ Supercharging network
+ 250 kw vs 150 kw supercharging
+ heat pump
+ NoA and autopilot on city (if you opt for it)
+ better solar roof
+ sentry mode and dash cam (Team Edison said the car is capable and looking forward to implementation)
+ reclining seat
+ false floor storage
+ 2 vs 1 wireless charging

- I'm assuming ride and winter weather traction would be better
- bluetooth music interface
- higher quality bluetooth audio (aptX)
- rear cross traffic alert
- blind spot monitoring
- hands free driving
- reverse brake assist
- interior / exterior / looks / character (this is my opinion)
- build quality
- 360 camera
- mature auto park
- fake engine noise (I like this)
- drainable frunk that will probably be easier to close. I miss how easy it was to close my Porsche's frunk, I used it all the time.

Regarding OTA, Ford will be supporting OTA. They have a whole team on this and they will likely deliver since the future of their BEV's relies on the Mach-E's reputation.

Regarding ABRP, Ford has one as well. They are partnering with EA. It will likely not be as good at first, but it is constantly supported with the cloud.

Regarding Autopilot, the non handsfree version does have lane centering and auto cruise control. It'll nag you like tesla. The hands-free should give you hands free and apparently it will be bringing auto lane change as well (supercruise also).

• Funny
Reactions: 30seconds
* Range should be equivalent. (Model Y real world range is around 260-280. Ford is understating like the other automakers)
That's funny. All people scream all manufactures are overly optimistic in MPG they provide, but you do believe that for eMPG aka range Ford will make an exclusion and will give you more range than it estimate via SAME EPA method as Tesla?

To have things straight, AWD LR Tesla has 316 EPA range, Ford has 300. -16 mi for Ford, no brainier. How it would be in real life nobody knows regarding Ford. YMMV, here's a lot of people with real range estimate same as EPA as well as many with lower due to the LOTS of factors that would impact Ford as well: heat, speed, traffic.

Price wise they are +- same, 49900 Tesla with 57000 Ford minus EV credits

That's funny. All people scream all manufactures are overly optimistic in MPG they provide, but you do believe that for eMPG aka range Ford will make an exclusion and will give you more range than it estimate via SAME EPA method as Tesla?

To have things straight, AWD LR Tesla has 316 EPA range, Ford has 300. -16 mi for Ford, no brainier. How it would be in real life nobody knows regarding Ford. YMMV, here's a lot of people with real range estimate same as EPA as well as many with lower due to the LOTS of factors that would impact Ford as well: heat, speed, traffic.

Price wise they are +- same, 49900 Tesla with 57000 Ford minus EV credits

Yes I agree, we don't know 100%. But what we do know is that Ford exec has consistently said they will be advertising real world range and that their range estimation will be dead accurate. It will be using cloud computing to calculate the range. It's also currently a trend that most EV cars are easier to achieve the EPA estimates than Tesla. You can see real world range test comparisons from Alex on Autos, Edmunds, CarWow, WhatCar, Autocar, and people from this forum that switched from other EV's. Consensus for the model Y is that people are averaging 280-340 wh/mi.

I do agree EPA mpg has rarely ever been accurate, and they aren't always accurate for for BEV too. Hell, the Taycan easily beats the EPA rated range in real world situation.

Ford exec has consistently said they will be advertising real world range and that their range estimation will be dead accurate. It will be using cloud computing to calculate the range.
Exec will say whatever to sell the cars :) There is a testing methodology that used on both cars. So, no, using cloud computing will not enlarge your...range. As well as any other computing :) (but that a good buzzword everybody adding now here and there. He can also use a microservices, Docker and Kubernetes :) ) How he can advertise real world range on car that was not used on real world yet, eh?
Range is a product of battery capacity and driving conditions.
It's quite hot now, so most ppl in MY are underranged for now. I'm quite sure, driving 55mph on empty road at 70F with AC off om MY could also beat EPA estimate.

Reactions: Yoliber
Exec will say whatever to sell the cars :) There is a testing methodology that used on both cars. So, no, using cloud computing will not enlarge your...range. As well as any other computing :) (but that a good buzzword everybody adding now here and there. He can also use a microservices, Docker and Kubernetes :) ) How he can advertise real world range on car that was not used on real world yet, eh?
Range is a product of battery capacity and driving conditions.
It's quite hot now, so most ppl in MY are underranged for now. I'm quite sure, driving 55mph on empty road at 70F with AC off om MY could also beat EPA estimate.

Yes I agree we don't know yet because consumers and reviewers don't have their car's in there hands. The car has been driven in the real world though. You could see the test mules everywhere and the GT models are on the streets in Michigan as we speak.

The cloud computing isn't suppose to enlarge your range, but instead give a more accurate prediction based off the statistics around you and your driving behavior. So if the weather is very hot as you said, it would understand that and reflect a more accurate range.

I agree that the Ford could be worse, but basing off of what I read and my gut instincts, it could be much closer than you think. Also Ford insiders are expecting the rating to increase by 3-5%.

Reactions: BlindPass
The 250kW verse 150kW charging numbers are just numbers. It is the charging curve that is telling. A post elsewhere with the "Fastner" label has the Mach e hanging onto just over 100kW charging rate (after the peak 150kW) to 70% where it drops quickly.
Yeah I'm curious what the comparisons will be like. Ford does have the larger buffer (11%), it'll be weird to see it drop off so quickly.

This is the rumored Mach E charging curve from Fastned:
mach e charging curve.jpg

LOL really trying to hit that 150 kw peak, hopefully they can improve that with a OTA. Audi E-tron charging speed is pretty impressive.
I’ve posted this before, but the E-Tron was surprisingly impressive overall. I don’t like the design style, but it’s range/charge combination was better than expected and the Audi interior features a welcome change after years of the primitive Tesla options.

Reactions: Yoliber