Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach E? What will I forgo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what would happen if someone accustomed to Tesla product went and bought an EV from a non Tesla company? I really like the look of the Mach E, but I feel I am going to forgo alot of things unless I'm unaware it also has those features. Mainly b/c the Mach E looks like a car that has soul, some say Tesla doesn't have a soul. I think Tesla's interior is kind of plain, but then someone said that's how Elon Musk wanted it since he is a programmer and they like things that way. I kind of wish Tesla would give their cars sharper edges like the Mach E, and an interior similar to BMW or Mercedes.

How will a Mach E supercharge for road trips?

And how will Mach E do autopilot?

Is it better to stick to Tesla or why should someone buy a Mach E over a Tesla? The only reason I can think of is that the Mach E looks like a car you can bring to a car show. I dunno why car show crowds don't really care for Teslas b/c my Model 3 was able to catch up to fully modded Porsche that was showing off on the freeway, the guy was giving me a stare like he was surprised a plain looking Model 3 (that stock) caught up to him.

I've been a Model 3 owner for nearly two years now, and I have a Mustang Mach-E on order to replace it.

The "Autopilot" is not something I really think about, as I don't have Autopilot on my Model 3. The Mach-E will have "hands free driving" in 2021 via OTA update, so to me that's a step up from my Model 3, but I get that isn't true for everyone.

The Mach-E can charge at 150 kW with the Extended Range battery pack, which is the practical speed of Tesla Superchargers at the moment, given the total lack of V3 Superchargers for me along the routes I regularly travel. Plus with CCS charging, there are more options for when and where to stop available.

The styling of the Mach-E was the big draw, but also the fact that there's 3,000 dealers across the US that can service it, whereas my experiences with Tesla Service being over an hour away and completely unhelpful once you get there have soured me on long-term Tesla ownership for at least a few more years until they build out more service infrastructure.

I've been a Model 3 owner for nearly two years now, and I have a Mustang Mach-E on order to replace it.

The "Autopilot" is not something I really think about, as I don't have Autopilot on my Model 3. The Mach-E will have "hands free driving" in 2021 via OTA update, so to me that's a step up from my Model 3, but I get that isn't true for everyone.

The Mach-E can charge at 150 kW with the Extended Range battery pack, which is the practical speed of Tesla Superchargers at the moment, given the total lack of V3 Superchargers for me along the routes I regularly travel. Plus with CCS charging, there are more options for when and where to stop available.

The styling of the Mach-E was the big draw, but also the fact that there's 3,000 dealers across the US that can service it, whereas my experiences with Tesla Service being over an hour away and completely unhelpful once you get there have soured me on long-term Tesla ownership for at least a few more years until they build out more service infrastructure.
The CCS DCFC network is still a work in progress. It is not as good as a Supercharger network for coverage, reliability and not all DCFC CCS chargers are over 100kW. Then there is the cost issue. As of now, the CCS network cost more per "fillup" except for a few vehicles that have near Tesla cost deals or the auto company is providing free charging for a set time frame.

Yes I agree we don't know yet because consumers and reviewers don't have their car's in there hands. The car has been driven in the real world though. You could see the test mules everywhere and the GT models are on the streets in Michigan as we speak.

The cloud computing isn't suppose to enlarge your range, but instead give a more accurate prediction based off the statistics around you and your driving behavior. So if the weather is very hot as you said, it would understand that and reflect a more accurate range.

I agree that the Ford could be worse, but basing off of what I read and my gut instincts, it could be much closer than you think. Also Ford insiders are expecting the rating to increase by 3-5%.
You tell me. I do this cloud computing for living. It’s not the computation power but the amount of data available what make statistics accurate. Billion miles on Tesla side versus few hundred vehicles driven few hundred miles on Ford.
Ford insiders .., expecting... that sounds more like wishful thinking. Btw Panasonic also told it will increase battery in Tesla by 5%, at least that not a rumor but a fact.
I’m not a Tesla fanboy but funny to see same peoples in different threads bashing Tesla and putting high hopes on Ford pr GM who let say so far didn’t play in EV field very good.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yoliber and EinSV
The CCS DCFC network is still a work in progress. It is not as good as a Supercharger network for coverage, reliability and not all DCFC CCS chargers are over 100kW. Then there is the cost issue. As of now, the CCS network cost more per "fillup" except for a few vehicles that have near Tesla cost deals or the auto company is providing free charging for a set time frame.
That is *highly* dependent on where you live.

In South Dakota, obviously Superchargers win. But not everywhere.

Agree.
IIRC, 80% of charging is done at home as most daily use isn’t greater than 40 miles. For a vast majority of buyers, the difference in range and fast-charging between Tesla and the competition isn’t actually terribly important.

I’m guessing most viewing these attributes as a major win for Tesla don’t recall when it was Tesla fighting the overblown range and charging narrative of legacy manufacturers. They also likely haven’t driven anything other than a Tesla.

One thing most people are overlooking is the extremely expensive cost to take the Mach-E on a road trip. This is where Tesla dominates the competition. I just took a 1800 mile roadtrip in our 2016 Model X P90D and I ran some numbers on abetterrouteplanner.com to see what it would cost in other EVs.

1800 mile roundtrip
2016 Model X P90D- 35 hrs 10 min total trip- 8 hrs 9 min charging- $0 cost
2020 Model Y LR AWD- 31 hrs 26 min total trip- 5 hrs 3 min charging- $78 cost
Mach-E Select AWD- 36 hrs 05 min total trip- 9 hrs 10 min charging- $336 cost
Mach-E Premium AWD- 34 hrs 22 min total trip- 7 hrs 54 min charging- $434 cost
Mach-E GT- 35 hrs 15 min total trip- 8 hrs 25 min charging- $463 cost
Audi E-Tron- 33 hrs 19 min total trip- 6 hrs 29 min charging- $316 cost
25mpg SUV 1800 miles/25mpg= 72 gallons@$2.00/gallon= $144 cost

The Mach-E actually has very similar charging times to our 2016 Model X, but the costs are insane considering they are almost 3X as expensive as taking a 25mpg gas equivalent SUV on the same trip! The Audi has pretty close charging times to the Model Y, but still over double the price of a 25mpg gas equivalent SUV. This is going to be the toughest thing for the competition to persuade customers to buy their products. If you don't take roadtrips then they are closer in costs to Tesla by charging at home.

One thing most people are overlooking is the extremely expensive cost to take the Mach-E on a road trip. This is where Tesla dominates the competition. I just took a 1800 mile roadtrip in our 2016 Model X P90D and I ran some numbers on abetterrouteplanner.com to see what it would cost in other EVs.

1800 mile roundtrip

The Mach-E actually has very similar charging times to our 2016 Model X, but the costs are insane considering they are almost 3X as expensive as taking a 25mpg gas equivalent SUV on the same trip! The Audi has pretty close charging times to the Model Y, but still over double the price of a 25mpg gas equivalent SUV. This is going to be the toughest thing for the competition to persuade customers to buy their products. If you don't take roadtrips then they are closer in costs to Tesla by charging at home.
As someone that considered both, I’d argue you’re overweighting this difference, not that the difference is overlooked.

The frequency of such road trips is not high. The car that is best in 90% of other utilization is more important. Otherwise we wouldn’t be getting an EV, and certainly wouldn’t have had one for the last 6 years.

That expense difference isn’t enough to offset if the Mach-E is otherwise desirable (which it may not be). I’m not buying a $60k+ car based on which one may save me a few hundred on a road trip of 1800 miles.

Time is the more important metric, and they all are substandard. We’re looking for the EV that is best in frequent use, as for road trips they all add too much time. If road trips are such a priority, I’d recommend a new PHEV. Full EV for 90% of most car utilization, and great fuel economy/range/time/comfort for long drives

As someone that considered both, I’d argue you’re overweighting this difference, not that the difference is overlooked.

The frequency of such road trips is not high. The car that is best in 90% of other utilization is more important. Otherwise we wouldn’t be getting an EV, and certainly wouldn’t have had one for the last 6 years.

That expense difference isn’t enough to offset if the Mach-E is otherwise desirable (which it may not be). I’m not buying a $60k+ car based on which one may save me a few hundred on a road trip of 1800 miles.

Time is the more important metric, and they all are substandard. We’re looking for the EV that is best in frequent use, as for road trips they all add too much time. If road trips are such a priority, I’d recommend a new PHEV. Full EV for 90% of most car utilization, and great fuel economy/range/time/comfort for long drives

I think if you have kids I would argue the little bit longer charging time is actually a benefit since you're stopping every 2 hours or so. Each day on our trip felt less fatiguing then what we've done in our Lexus RX450H. You still need to eat and use the restroom in a gas car so just match them up with charging stops and it's pretty close time wise.

I agree with this. I think it depends on how much Engr22 do these types of road trip. So really depends on each individual person use case. Honestly, I don't quite remember if I ever done 1800 miles round trip. If Engr22 doesn't do much of these trips, then probably won't have to use those CCS charger that much and thus wouldn't have to deal with the higher cost of charging. I reckon the vast majority of EV vehicles mileage are charged from home.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I think if you have kids I would argue the little bit longer charging time is actually a benefit since you're stopping every 2 hours or so. Each day on our trip felt less fatiguing then what we've done in our Lexus RX450H. You still need to eat and use the restroom in a gas car so just match them up with charging stops and it's pretty close time wise.
Sounds like if you have kids it’s best to get a non-Tesla EV. More charging opportunities

Our most recent 1500 mile trip was considerably longer and more inconvenient had we taken the Model S than the X5 PHEV. We wouldn’t have gone if we had to take an EV. 85 mph is brutal on range, and then there’s comfort.

Sounds like if you have kids it’s best to get a non-Tesla EV. More charging opportunities

Our most recent 1500 mile trip was considerably longer and more inconvenient had we taken the Model S than the X5 PHEV. We wouldn’t have gone if we had to take an EV. 85 mph is brutal on range, and then there’s comfort.

Maybe in Europe there are more chargers, but not in the US. Good luck taking a non-Tesla on a road trip where we live. There are areas where non-Tesla chargers are over 150 miles and you will have to drive under 68mph to get there, not to mention people seem to ICE non-Tesla chargers more especially at Walmarts. 85mph is brutal on gas range the exact same as EV range, it's physics, plus we never drive 85mph. To each their own though, our X blows away the comfort of our Lexus, especially for our whole family.

1800 mile roundtrip

I'm not overlooking it. I just like the Mach-E more than I like my Model 3.

Road trips will cost more, sure. Doesn't phase me. EA isn't the only option either.

I'm not overlooking it. I just like the Mach-E more than I like my Model 3.

Road trips will cost more, sure. Doesn't phase me. EA isn't the only option either.
EA just installed a kW based charging service in the states that allowed it. The other states have a significantly reduced per minute charge. In , the cost of using EA has dropped significantly.

Without a super charger network - any other EV is a grocery getter.

Even if I only use 1 super charger a year, just knowing I can go from PA to CA and back makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
I agree with that but wait for someone to release a "grocery getter" thats cool looking in form and not looking like a toaster on wheels or a tennis shoe on wheels(gti) or just dorkey looking. I mean same metal and designers used right...why cant they make a sporty looking grocery getter thats like 20-30k new. 200 miles max.