TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mute radio when navigation speaks?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Patrick W, May 5, 2015.

1. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

When I place a phone call with the radio on the radio is automatically muted so I only hear the phone call.

But when I have the radio and navigation on at the same time the radio is not muted when the navigation voice speaks.

It does sound like the radio volume goes down a bit but is not muted which sometimes makes it difficult to hear what the navigation voice is saying.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it normal?

Is there some setting I'm missing that will cause the radio to be muted when the nav speaks?

2. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

To my ear it seems to lower the drivers side speakers only/mainly and sends the navigation announcement through the same speakers. Have you tried adjusting the navigation volume? To do this, start a navigation event and touch the speaker icon in the navigation box at the bottom of the navigation panel, that is the smaller box with the upcoming turns. This opens up a navigation volume control and also allows you to mute the navigation announcements as well.

3. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Right you are. I just tried it again and it does appear that what I thought was the radio volume going down does appear to be just the speakers on the driver side being quieter.

And, yes, I have tried adjusting the nav volume. Turned it way up.

Just seems odd that the radio does not mute when the nav speaks. It was that way with the Garmin unit I used to use and is still that way when using my iPhone as a music player and navigation unit. But not in Model S.

4. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Had a SUV that would behave as you describe (mute on nav) and I would constantly have passengers asking why I keep turning the music on and off because they couldn't hear the nav (that was only coming out of the driver's side front speaker). It was actually quite annoying for passengers. And the MS nav is pretty persistent. I usually get about 5 prompts for a turn. I personally mute the nav and just watch the screen(s) for my turns.

5. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

Patrick, I have the exact same complaint. I've owned a LOT of comparable vehicles (Audi Allroad, Audi S6, Audi S8, BMW X3, just a few to name and many more)... and ALL of them did a far better job attenuating the volume when navigation prompts arise. I personally have a really hard time understanding the voice, and I'm only 38-years old and have perfect hearing. Compared to the Audi/BMW nav prompts, the Tesla voice is muffled. When I am with my wife/kid my radio music volume is usually low enough that I can hear the voice prompts when set to volume 7 or 8 ... but when I am alone I listen to my music louder and then have serious trouble hearing the voice prompts with any clarity. I think that Tesla needs to address this issue, and at least give the option to entirely mute the voice / pause the music during nav prompts!

6. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

This is obviously a YMMV situation. I hate when other cars lower the audio volume so much to give me nav prompts that I don't need. I think Tesla's solution of giving me two different volume levels is the perfect solution and would really, really hate it if they muted the audio system volume more than they already do.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Agree. In fact I think Tesla's implementation is very close to, if not identical to other cars I've had with built-in nav.

8. scottm

scottm Active Member

I've never had nav before in a car, and have no issues hearing nav guidance over top of radio/audio. And my hearing is not that great these days. So says she.

I do balance the audio and nav volumes accordingly to my liking.

I don't care what others complain of in the car when I'm driving and want to hear nav.

If the nav wasn't doing this, I'd be hearing it from the passenger's seat.