Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Muted Auto Industry response to Tesla's Full Self Driving move - why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The automakers are not responding, since AP2 is a bunch of promises at this point. Hardware is generally "easier" and there's an overestimation of what software can do to the point that people throw out statements like "It's just software. The engineers will figure it out." Software is wildly difficult; Microsoft, Google and Apple have significantly more software engineers than Tesla, but I'm not sure I'd want Siri, Cortona, or Google Now on the roads in their current state.

If you've followed AI at all, you'll realize that in the early 90's we were "on the cusp" of things like self-driving, but it never panned out since it's a wildly complex problem. A great use case is at a 4-way stop. The "rules" say the first car to arrive has right of way, but what happens if the first arriver waves you through? How do you differentiate a wave versus someone playing with their hair and not paying attention, or looking at their phone? Humans can rapidly interpret a friendly wave versus someone flipping the bird, and other items that are challenging for a machine. You can't just point an algorithm at this and assume it magically "learns" like a human, no matter how many miles, "neural nets," or teraflops you have.

My house has a half-dozen high definition cameras and nearly 40 sensors, yet it's still not smart enough to manage the HVAC and lighting with any "intelligence" beyond if X happens then turn on sensor Y. While "it's just software" in 40 years of industrial controls and home automation no one has solved this problem, arguably vastly simpler than fully autonomous driving.

My guess (and anyone that suggests they're making anything more than a guess is deluding themselves) is that we'll see fully autonomous highway driving in the next couple of years, perhaps even to the point that your steering wheel recedes into the dash like a scifi movie once you merge onto the highway. We also may see "autonomous corridors" in cities and regional roads similar to HOV lanes, where pedestrian access is manages and there's connected infrastructure or special signage. I'd guess we're 5+ years out from rolling through school parking lots and driving through snowstorms, but if you could move a decent portion of rush hour traffic to autonomous vehicles that zoom through special lanes at high speeds everyone would benefit.

I do personally believe there's a challenge with mass adoption in that Tesla's system is "good enough" to confuse people that it's more capable than it is, demonstrated aptly through ridiculous youtube videos of people sleeping and whatnot that we all lament. Managing a user interface and appropriate education is going to be a challenge that I believe Tesla and others are underestimating. There's also the looming "dark cloud" of liability that's yet to be fully tested. When an autonomous vehicle ploughs though a bus filled with pregnant volunteers from Doctors without Borders who are transporting extremely cute puppies to needy orphans and the public retribution starts flying, it will get ugly fast and that could set back the technology several months or even years.

@slappy and others.
1. Buying AP2 is optional, so one doesn't need to pay thousands. The AP will still send the data.
2. Yes, software is engineering too, and very hard to do right. But I guess you haven't been keeping up. Deep learning algorithns have taken a significant step, and processing big datasets is a key to making them work. Also, compute power is essential. Recent advances in this area are complementling the software. Parallel GPU cores give supercomputing power in small packages.
3. Autonomous driving is coming faster than we think.

Actually, I am. I believe VERY strongly in the social value of autonomous driving cars given how many people are killed in accidents from careless or reckless driving. The fact that the car is electric was secondary in my buying decision. Anything I can do to further the progress of self driving, I'm going to do - I'm happy to be a "beta" tester if it will help bring any higher degree of self driving to the market.
My comment was in response to:

"Is this confirmed..."

which was in response to:

"(btw, it is functioning in cars now, collecting data)"

"Why should carmakers react to vapourware?"

I assumed readers would understand that I was referring to the fact that those who have paid $8,000 for FSD (because this thread is about FSD) have received nothing at this point other than the privilege of collecting data for Tesla.

My comment was in response to:

"Is this confirmed..."

"(btw, it is functioning in cars now, collecting data)"

"Why should carmakers react to vapourware?"

I assumed readers would understand that I was referring to the fact that those who have paid $8,000 for FSD (because this thread is about FSD) have received nothing at this point other than the privilege of collecting data for Tesla.

I understand. I suppose by ordering the system I feel like I'm supporting it. I'd hope other automakers would react to the demand for a FSD system, even if it's not going to be delivered for the next year.

There has been a lot of emphasis (in this thread and in many other places) on autonomous vehicles that do all processing onboard. That is the tough engineering/software problem that will tend to slow down adoption (as in, "we tend to overestimate what we can do in 2 years and underestimate what we can do in 10 years") - but there are some related approaches that can help here. A couple of thoughts...

1. US DOT is already funding rollout/installation of DSRC devices that facilitate V2V and V2I communications. This can help greatly with the various conundrums that can happen at intersections and various other edge cases. Ordinarily, I would dismiss something like this as another silly government fantasy, except that we are starting to install these in Alabama (a state that is rarely in the first wave of adopting anything), so it must be pretty far along; to support that argument, some car companies are starting to include systems in vehicles to use it. (What about Tesla? I've never seen this mentioned in any of the Tesla discussions).

2. Regarding insurance: the government has experience with this, in the case of vaccines. If something is enough of a public good that it should be adopted even if no company will take the risk of dealing with the occasional harm caused, the government becomes essentially the insurer of last resort. Not a perfect system, I guess, but it has worked there so far.

Regarding the original OP post question, there have been a lot of pronouncements by various car companies about concepts they are working on, but you really don't know how far along they really are, because it is mostly proprietary R&D details of which they are reluctant to divulge (who can blame them? - it will be a competitive advantage)... on a related note, the states handle traffic laws, and things will have to change in the laws in every jurisdiction to allow hands-free driving (now illegal almost everywhere), much less full autonomy, That may be as big of a challenge as all the rest of it...

Reactions: OBX John
3) Today it is Tesla and not someone else who has their fleet of cars collecting data for AP-training - an advantage that has little to do with company size or with ICE versus BEV.

Volvo seems to be forgotten in this area, as they are making fairly remarkable advances with their Pilot Assist II feature.

Volvo Completes First Autonomous XC90 For 2017 Public Drive Me Test Program

"A fleet of 100 XC90s capable of fully autonomous operation under certain conditions will be loaned to Swedish drivers so the company can collect data on how the vehicles work in the real world and how human operators and other vehicles interact with these new machines."

@slappy and others.
2. Yes, software is engineering too, and very hard to do right. But I guess you haven't been keeping up. Deep learning algorithns have taken a significant step, and processing big datasets is a key to making them work. Also, compute power is essential. Recent advances in this area are complementling the software. Parallel GPU cores give supercomputing power in small packages.

I work in this space so I'd say I've been "keeping up..." I'd love full autonomous vehicles (and a truly "smart" digital assistant) as much or more than the next guy, I'm just saying there's significant irrational exuberance around what deep learning and GPUs can do. I may sound like everyone's least favorite Transformer, Negatron, but the technology has significant limitations that aren't mere functions of time and more/better processors.

For example, if it were all a matter of throwing a big dataset at an algorithm, we'd have near-perfect language translators, since you could drop a dozen French/English dictionaries and a few hundred high-quality translated videos/books on the algorithm, and have it parlez'ing like a pro. Drop a French webpage into Google Translate and see if you want that technology making life or death driving decisions... Yes, we can suck in and process the data, but we still can't replicate inference and many cognitive functions we take for granted.

There's a misperception that you point an algorithm at Wikipedia or videos of people driving, and suddenly it's Albert Einstein or Mario Andretti. That's simply not the case, despite IBM and other's attempts at creating that illusion to sell more stuff.

All that said, what Tesla has done thus far is impressive, and they've "awoken the beast" at many other OEMs. It's going to be an exciting time in auto and we'll all benefit regardless of whether AP2 lives up to all its promises.

Reactions: robby
Imam all for what Tesla is doing. I personally think it is waaay too early for this. They can outfit the car with all the HW in the world. I think it is going to take years to the SW to get to the point where it can truly take over. This is really complex stuff.

No one forced them to pay for it. They were told it was forthcoming. If they want to wait for it to be released, they can do that too. What's the complaint again?

I work in this space so I'd say I've been "keeping up..." I'd love full autonomous vehicles (and a truly "smart" digital assistant) as much or more than the next guy, I'm just saying there's significant irrational exuberance around what deep learning and GPUs can do. I may sound like everyone's least favorite Transformer, Negatron, but the technology has significant limitations that aren't mere functions of time and more/better processors.
Yes, it is hard. It's a matter of how complete one needs the solution to be. EM is pretty clear on the parameters he thinks will be acceptable. I am willing to see how they do. I will be happy with good L4.

No one forced them to pay for it. They were told it was forthcoming. If they want to wait for it to be released, they can do that too. What's the complaint again?
No complaint here.

Just trying to say that FSD hasn't been delivered yet (collecting data doesn't count).

That's the last time I respond to a response to to a response to a response to a posting. ;)

Last edited: