Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MVPA - preliminary vs final

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anybody who has gone through the process describe the difference between the 'preliminary' MVPA that locks in the order and the 'final' MVPA that is appears to be associated with delivery?

I believe it's mostly sales tax in the area you live in. Some locations have different sales tax by city which makes it hard to get correct on the preliminary MVPA.

I was told that, at least for customers outside of California required to pay for the car before it is shipped, the final paperwork would confirm the customer's right to refuse delivery if the vehicle is unacceptable.

Until someone can confirm what's in the final paperwork, I'm somewhat skeptical about this because before I signed the pre-MVPA - I was told I would not be required to pay for the car before it was delivered to me - in Texas - only to find out after I signed the pre-MVPA (and committed my deposit) that they mean "delivery" to be "delivery to transport company" [which is not defined in the pre-MVPA].

I was told that, at least for customers outside of California required to pay for the car before it is shipped, the final paperwork would confirm the customer's right to refuse delivery if the vehicle is unacceptable.

So, if you live in California, no problem? If you don't live in California, but pickup in Fremont, can you pay at the time of pickup?

So, if you live in California, no problem? If you don't live in California, but pickup in Fremont, can you pay at the time of pickup?

As i understand it, it depends:

1. If you live in a "problem state" like Texas you pay before delivery.

2. If you have your Model S shipped by transport with no DS, you pay before delivery.

3. If you have Tesla deliver it via DS, store delivery, service centre delivery, you pay on receipt of the car. (unless you live in a "problem state").

Note that if you don't live in CA and pick up at Fremont you will pay CA taxes which you may or may not be able to get credit for, depending upon your state's regulations.

Can anybody who has gone through the process describe the difference between the 'preliminary' MVPA that locks in the order and the 'final' MVPA that is appears to be associated with delivery?

I don't have the final one yet, but I know at least one difference since my credit union pointed it out to me: The preliminary one doesn't list what I'm paying (other than the $5000 Tesla already has) nor what I'm financing, but the final version would/should have it.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. And of course the VIN and mileage should be on there (though from what I read in another thread, the milage might be inaccurate).

As i understand it, it depends:

1. If you live in a "problem state" like Texas you pay before delivery.

2. If you have your Model S shipped by transport with no DS, you pay before delivery.

3. If you have Tesla deliver it via DS, store delivery, service centre delivery, you pay on receipt of the car. (unless you live in a "problem state").

Note that if you don't live in CA and pick up at Fremont you will pay CA taxes which you may or may not be able to get credit for, depending upon your state's regulations.

Nicely stated, Jerry33 - I think that sums it up.

And the other two things about prelim v final:

(1) No bona-fide financing organization will fund your car on a prelim MVPA
and
(2) The prelim can be done without a VIN; the final cannot.

Yeah. I heard the increase will amount to $250 dollars for a $100,000 car.

The statewide sales and use tax rate will increase one quarter of one percent (0.25%) from 7.25 percent to 7.50 percent on Jan. 1, 2013. This rate increase was approved by California voters when they approved Proposition 30 on Nov. 6, 2012.

Among other things, Proposition 30 increases the statewide sales and use tax rate for four years—Jan. 1, 2013, through Dec. 31, 2016.

Across California, the sales and use tax rate will range from 7.50 percent to 10.00 percent because in some cities and counties, voter-approved district taxes are added to the statewide base rate.

Fremont 8.750 % . So, if I pick up my Model S in Fremont, I am paying another 8.75% A touch more than the 5.6% I am paying now.

The final MVPA (I'm financing with penfed) included my wire transfer for my downpayment. The VIN, odometer reading, and estimated delivery date. The final "due from buyer" = my financing amount with penfed. I faxed the final MVPA and now just waiting for check disbursement. Other than that it also contains all sorts of additional lemon law and other supporting documentation I didn't think was in the prelim-mvpa.

Shokunin, so you wired the money with the final MVPA even though you live in California? Was that mandatory?

I know I didn't get supporting documentation and lemon law stuff in my prelim MVPA so that is new. It seems really odd that they are adding new items... Is the other contract language on final MVPA is identical to what was signed in the preliminary ? As I understand it then, the difference is the addition of a VIN, the actual odometer reading, a revised estimated delivery date, and updates, if any, to the final amount due?