Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX 0-60 Increases! (75D and 100D)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s RWD motor for the Model S and X is equipped with a 320kW inverter built on TO-247 insulated-gate bipolar transistor packages or IGBTs: As for the model x and s we have inverters rated at 320 kW that is why it's possible for a software update to bring us close to parity with the new models being built.

Yes, indeed there are some indicators that we can use to predict changes. For example, I had been telling for weeks to postpone orders until Q3 to see how Model 3 would affect Model S/X. Here is the first effect, obviously, Model 3 performance pushing changes to Model S/X.
Are we sure it's the Model 3 causing this?

In all bar the 75 packs the performance boost is negligible, and the 3 was always still the slower car. To date the only firm promise we had was <6 seconds (I know there has been a leaked anti-sell sheet that says 5.6s, but it's not official).

So you have to question would people really buy a RWD Model S 75 over a Model 3 now it does 4.3 rather than 5.4 0-60? It really doesn't seem enough of a motivator to me for the significant premium. If it were Tesla wouldn't have sold any non P variant RWD cars.

Call me cynical, but IMHO more likely would be another vehicle coming to market, right around S/X 75 pricing, that does the 0-60 benchmark in the 4s range.

AnxietyRanger said:
Timing a Tesla buy is terribly difficult. I will be glad to buy something else next time, much less stressful.
And getting more difficult, now it's not just Tesla's road map we are trying to second guess :(

Can you translate this to English for me?
The inference is that the cars have always been able to get near these figures, without the need for new inverters.

Seeing the RWD 75 leap up to parity with the original P85 strongly supports this claim.

But TMC, being TMC, we go from vague Tesla statement around new hardware, to speculation (in this case new inverters), to urban legend, to accepted fact..... at least until @wk057 comes along and reverse engineers one ;)

Can you clarify what you mean? I am not quite following. :)

I don't know a car with local servicing facilities, a robust model year strategy, and toys like HUD, haptic feedback touchscreens, WiFi hot spot, CarPlay....

Shame nothing like that is currently doing laps round the Nurburgring... If it were and I was in charge of Tesla, I'd consider giving my cars a bit of a performance boost at this point ;)

• Funny
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
i don't mind the speed increase as my MX goes plenty fast for me but I would have liked my second row to fold flat...However, I did get the free high amperage charger upgrade after my order was confirmed for a couple of months before they announced it will be included so I can't really complain. :)

In what world is a 20% improvement in 0-60 times as minor change?

It will be interesting to see the revised acceleration charts.

If you look at the graphs of the non PD car's up to about 20 mph, they are broadly the same. So the 20% improvement in 0-60 times doesn't tell the whole story. Out on the road the bulk of the improvement comparing a 90D to a 75D is all wrapped up in 20-60mph area.

If Tesla have just made them capable of the same acceleration curve then a new 75D will feel like it has more mid range than an old one. Is that a minor change, I guess that's a matter of personal opinion.

Last edited:
indeed, I already did 0-60 in 4.6 in my 100D, so maybe the updated one will do 4.0....
I'm a firm believer the X75D acceleration was always a software limitation ever since you did your power output test video.

I was always curious why the X75D felt so "slow" from standstill but felt like a rocket ship at any speed above 10mph. Passing on the higher felt exactly the same as the 90D. My theory is the 75D was software limited because Tesla had to create a compelling difference between the 75D and 90D because the 20 mile range difference hardly warranted the price difference. Now that the 90D is discontinued, Tesla doesn't care about that anymore.

Last edited: