Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX 12V battery issue - symptoms to note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My MX had to be towed to an SC following a failed software update.

Seems what has happened is there was an underlying problem with keeping the 12V battery charged (not bad enough to give me a warning though). During the update, the low voltage caused it to soil the bed, and it could not recover.

Afterwards, though boosting the 12V with a 30A portable starter was enough to wake the car, it was stuck in park and had to be moved on skates.

I'm mentioning this because there was never any screen warning of a 12V problem. BUT in hindsight maybe there was a symptom-clue; recently the car would not wake up when I approached with the key, instead I'd have to open a door, then it would wake. I had energy saving modes activated so thought this was the reason (only had car for 2 months).

So the point is: if you get the same symptom (not waking), call tesla and get them to check the battery voltage (the small one not big!)

Shane
PS with the booster connected, tesla could see the car, and said it had 20A discharge! Thats almost a mile of range per hour. Thirsty vampire somewhere in my car!

PS with the booster connected, tesla could see the car, and said it had 20A discharge! Thats almost a mile of range per hour. Thirsty vampire somewhere in my car!
AP2 computer draws quite a bit of power and it's on blasting at full speed with image processing on that GPU even if it does not show it on IC when you open a door.
If you leave your car plugged in (recommended thing), the ap computer stays on for 2 hours after you last put the car in park (!), I am sure the 12V battery appreciates all the extra power draw.

Reactions: navguy12
AP2 computer draws quite a bit of power and it's on blasting at full speed with image processing on that GPU even if it does not show it on IC when you open a door.
If you leave your car plugged in (recommended thing), the ap computer stays on for 2 hours after you last put the car in park (!), I am sure the 12V battery appreciates all the extra power draw.

What if you haven't purchased/enabled AP on your vehicle? Does the ape still power on full blast?

What if you haven't purchased/enabled AP on your vehicle? Does the ape still power on full blast?
I have no idea, but I think so since it's somehow involved in showing the local speed limit (when ape crashes, it's not shown) or traffic around you (this is still shown even if you don't pay for ape, I assume?)
The decisions to show or not show additional controls are made on cid, ape is not really aware if anything is receptive to things its broadcasting or not (e.g. even when you are in park it still does its thing, but the car is not showing anything)