Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX 6-seat - second row seat removal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 6-seat version of the MX. The 2nd row seats go forward but they don't fold.
The 3rd row seats fold down and that is how I use them most of the time. But this
provides only about 4 feet of front to back space. If I could remove one of the 2nd
row seats there would be more than 6 feet.
Is it possible for me, the owner, to remove one or both of the 2nd row seats? I
suspect not - I see posts about conversions for wheel chairs that seem to imply
that removal is only possible by a Tesla tech - and that it is "permanent". What I
want to do is to be able to take it out and put it back - for instance to create
space for a mattress to do some low cost 'camping'.
- Jim

Doable, but there are significant problems. You will always get warning messages, your airbags will might not work in an accident, you cannot get software updates, and Tesla Service cannot perform any major service on the car. Tesla will refuse to reconfigure your car to ignore the missing seats.

1) You have to remove the sill plates. You will break them in the process (poor design).
2) You then remove the false floor.
3) Unbolt, unplug, & remove the seats.
4) replace the false floor. You will have holes in the floor, and may want to lay down a sheet of plywood (you could glue carpet to the plywood).

You will need to reinstall the seats to get software updates or to get service on the car (other than trivial issues).

In other words ... it's easier to have the car converted to a 5 or 7 seat configuration than it is
to remove the seats. Phooey - I just wanted to be able to sleep (only one person).

How about this - is it possible to remove just the seat -back- without having these hassles?
If one seat back was 'missing' it would be relatively easy to build a 'platform' of some kind
that goes from the folded down 3rd row to just behind the front passenger seat. It would
be narrow but I suspect usable (for one person).
- Jim

In spite of the problems, it is doable. I recently came home after traveling for 22k miles with the seats removed (and a 6.5' long foam bed instead). Once home, I reinstalled the seats.

I haven't looked into removing the seat back, but I suspect that you wouldn't be able to replace the back, so that alteration would be permanent.

Reactions: kingpleb
I have the 6-seat version of the MX. The 2nd row seats go forward but they don't fold.
The 3rd row seats fold down and that is how I use them most of the time. But this
provides only about 4 feet of front to back space. If I could remove one of the 2nd
row seats there would be more than 6 feet.
Is it possible for me, the owner, to remove one or both of the 2nd row seats? I
suspect not - I see posts about conversions for wheel chairs that seem to imply
that removal is only possible by a Tesla tech - and that it is "permanent". What I
want to do is to be able to take it out and put it back - for instance to create
space for a mattress to do some low cost 'camping'.
- Jim
Sorry you are not the first one to think of this. Might find something useful in the following thread. :cool:

What is a 7 seater with captain seats? I thought the 7 seater had the (foldable) MS rear seat plus the 3rd row.
1631298096685.png

• Informative
Reactions: strider
Hello,

I had a Tesla-made center console installed in my MX 6-seater by Tesla service.
I watched the whole process. First he removed one of the seats, then the flooring
(carpet, kick panel along doorway, etc.), then installed the console into the factory
provided mounting holes (already threaded) - and then he put it all back together.
(I might have some of the steps out of order.)
There was nothing about what he did - other than knowing what to do before he
started - that couldn't be done by a handy owner. You would have to 'discover'
the tricks needed to remove the carpet (doorway kick panel). And you'd have to
do it in a way that you could repeat the process without all of the fuss of taking
up the carpet and its underlayment (leave open holes so you can get at the
bolts that hold the seat down).
Having said that - I'm really glad I had service do it ... because what took the
tech about an hour would have taken me 4 hours (and I consider myself to be
"handy"). I wish I'd taken pictures at all of the important times so I could post
the process instead of just outline it. *Sigh*.
Personally, I don't ever intend to take out my center console or the seats to
create a space for a bed (toyed with that idea but decided "no") so I'm just
glad I had it done. We have not unfolded the 3rd row - never needed that
many seats (yet?). We are older and don't have kids so we don't need to
carry that many passengers - and we find motels 'convenient'. Here on the
West Coast there are a fair number of motels that also have superchargers
in the parking lot or within a short walk so we grab dinner while the car
charges and then we are good to go the next morning.

- happy with my seating being "permanent" ... Jim in the PNW

Reactions: JPWX
Yes, we are -very- happy with the center console on our 6-seat MX. It makes the 2nd row
seats 'usable' (much more) since it provides an arm rest. This is not something you would
be taking in and out - yes, you could do that - but it is a semi-permanent/permanent
install. We haven't wanted it out (we don't have kids that would want to change rows
during travel). Normally we have the 3rd row folded down for carry space but they still
can be folded up and then used for passengers - easily.
- Jim in the PNW

Gavine did Tesla do this for you?
I SOOOO want to do this to my MX now as it would make it amazing for the house works I'm doing now as i have the 3 captain chairs for the middle row and they are a PITA! the only way to get some stuff in is to have the middle seat all the way forward which requires a dance with either side seat as well to allow it and then just all the bongs to go with one of the seats being unlatched for the first bit of each drive. Doing this would be epic

damn
Thats why I didn't get the 6 seater. Although I keep regretting it. Our Y trunk is too small so we need more space for the dogs and cargo so hopefully the 5 seater will be good enough
Mines a 7 Seater but captain seats :(
Dont get me wrong its a nice flashy option but its just another thing to go wrong. If the bench version came up cheaply enough from a breaker/salvage with intact airbags and the same half leather id grab it and fit it without hesitation but when they want ~£1100+ for it, nahhhh

Reactions: everydaychris