Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX battery consumption question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never felt I get the proper charge or mileage out of my model X. I am hoping someone with more Tesla battery knowledge than me can help clarify if what my MX gets is correct or if I need to get the battery looked at. I performed a little test and tried to get as much info as possible to yield some accurate results. I would appreciate feedback on the below.

2016 MX 75D with approx 85,000kms

Charged with HPWC to 100% - 356kms (this seams low to me).

Car sat overnight in a warm 11 degree C garage. Car was still plugged into the HPWC.

I warmed up the car for about 15 minutes prior to departure using the app.

Left in morning with battery at 351kms.

Temp is 2 degrees C outside.

Drove 109.3kms, battery is now at 197kms. Approx 3/4 of the trip was county roads and 1/4 of the trip was city driving. Very little traffic.

Driving was in the dark with cabin at 23 degrees C.

Both front heated seats on for 1/2 the trip.

The car averaged 249wh/km and consumed 27.3kwh for the drive. This is based on the info on the MCU screen.

I did not use AP or cruise for this trip.

I have 20” wheels.

Is this normal? Car used 154kms for this trip?

2 weeks ago when it was really cold outside, approx -15 degrees C, the car used the ENTIRE battery for the exact same trip.

I appreciate your help.

Hi Jillmark99,

Have you owned the car since 2016?
What was the EPA/sticker mileage when you bought it?

If my math is correct 249wh/km would be about 400wh/m...
My lifetime average on a 2018 X100D also on 20" tires is 375wh/m.

Cold as you know severely limits battery output/mileage...
Set heaters on... Set at 1, 2, or 3 bars???

It does not look too far off to me...
Some people here plan/expect 50% of their "normal" mileage in the cold.

Shawn

Reactions: scottf200
I have never felt I get the proper charge or mileage out of my model X. I am hoping someone with more Tesla battery knowledge than me can help clarify if what my MX gets is correct or if I need to get the battery looked at. I performed a little test and tried to get as much info as possible to yield some accurate results. I would appreciate feedback on the below.

Car sat overnight in a warm 11 degree C garage. Car was still plugged into the HPWC.
Drove 109.3kms, battery is now at 197kms. Approx 3/4 of the trip was county roads and 1/4 of the trip was city driving. Very little traffic.
The car averaged 249wh/km and consumed 27.3kwh for the drive. This is based on the info on the MCU screen.
I have 20” wheels.
2 weeks ago when it was really cold outside, approx -15 degrees C, the car used the ENTIRE battery for the exact same trip.
I appreciate your help.

You left out one big factor ... how fast were you driving? I know you did country and city.
You can see below that the speed matters.

1) 2C/35.6F which is fairly cold (battery temp and lubrications (any moving part in drivetain))
and you were heating the cabin to 23C/73.4F which is somewhat warm.
-- I'd use your seat heaters 100% of the time and lower your cabin temp a little.
2) I wonder if your tire pressure is good. I run my Xs at 45 psi cold.
3) Have you used abetterrouteplanner.com tool/website to map out your route? You can put in your vehicle X 75D and at least 5-7% battery degradation. Also put in the 'Road Conditions' and outside temps.
-- clicking on the resulting route line also brings up elevation. Makes a big diff if you are going even a little uphill.

iE6N0ff.jpg

Example of a 348 km drive in 2C for a 75D

8gxJlWG.jpg

zEEVnxH.jpg

The drive was fairly flat. Not a lot of hills around here.
I was driving approx 110kph outside the city and about 60kph within city limits.
Tire pressure is at 45psi.
Try abetterrouteplanner.com with your temperatures and accurate to/from locations to see it it comes lose. Try the two temperatures 2C and -15C.
P.S. You are welcome for all the details above. Geez.

Hi Jillmark99,

Have you owned the car since 2016?
What was the EPA/sticker mileage when you bought it?

If my math is correct 249wh/km would be about 400wh/m...
My lifetime average on a 2018 X100D also on 20" tires is 375wh/m.

Cold as you know severely limits battery output/mileage...
Set heaters on... Set at 1, 2, or 3 bars???

It does not look too far off to me...
Some people here plan/expect 50% of their "normal" mileage in the cold.

Shawn
I have not owned it since new. I purchased it second hand but I’ve owned it for quite a while. Seat heaters are usually on high.

I have 20” wheels.

I appreciate your help.

Winter is NEVER the time to attempt to match the car's rating. At 2C, I suspect that you will have over 30% degradation in range. That's just the fundamentals of pretty much any battery.

To see if you are making the range, in the summer with 23C temps, make a highway run at 60 mph from 100% to 10%. That should allow you to get a real estimate of the battery's range.

To get MUCH better understanding, watch the Energy graphs for a real time estimate of your consumption and range.

Winter is NEVER the time to attempt to match the car's rating. At 2C, I suspect that you will have over 30% degradation in range. That's just the fundamentals of pretty much any battery.

To see if you are making the range, in the summer with 23C temps, make a highway run at 60 mph from 100% to 10%. That should allow you to get a real estimate of the battery's range.

To get MUCH better understanding, watch the Energy graphs for a real time estimate of your consumption and range.

A comparative example of how my X is affected by temperatures. This is from TeslaFI.COM built in table it made for my car but I customized in Google sheets for C and km

p1KqO8h.jpg

No I have not tried it. The route in my OP is travelled often by myself and my wife. I might sometime. Was just curious if the battery consumption seamed normal. When I drive my S I don’t use near as much battery.
I know the X chews up the electricity more than the S but my X just seams excessive. Maybe it’s correct, just seams high consumption to me.
Thanks for the replies.

Last edited: