Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX charge door won’t close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all
2016 AP2 MX. all of a sudden today started having issues with the charge port door not closing. Never had any issues before.
If I close the door with the app or the touchscreen it automatically opens almost immediately. If I manually close it with my hand, same thing, it opens back up almost immediately.
However, if I get in the car and push the brake and put it in drive the charge port door will close. It stays closed for my entire drive but when I get to my destination and put the car in park the charge port door will open a few seconds after the vehicle locks.
Anyone else experience this? Is there a DIY solution to fix it?
I have tried a soft reboot as well as a complete power down but makes no difference.
Your help would be appreciated.

Moving the fob away from the car makes no difference. The charge port door still stays open. If I close it with the app from a few hundred feet away it immediately opens back up. it only closes when the car is put into drive. Strange.

Your fob is too effective for that test. Remove the batteries in the fob and redo the test.
I'd say this guy is right. The other possibility is that the touch to open sensor is messed up, but it doesn't work when the car is locked, so if you are far enough away for the car to be locked when you close it with the app, I would expect it to stay closed. I suppose it could also think it's failing to close (like hitting an adapter) and re-opening because of that, but then I'd think it'd stay open when you drive and put a warning in the IC (not from experience, just a guess).

Service appt booked for tomorrow.
I am curious to see what they say at your service visit. I am having the same issue, but also I the charge light/ring is not working now and I cannot connect the charge wand unless I double or triple click it after the port is opened as it seems to think it is already connected. I have a mobile appt set up for next Wednesday. I am also getting a "Charge port door sensor fault" message - see pic. This all started yesterday after a 25 mile drive and was headed back home.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 169
I have the same problem. The door won't close completely. It seems like it's a low outside temperature problem as it happens only when the temperature is less than about 60-70 degrees. Open the door fully, then push it closed. You might have to do this a couple times. Service Center replaced the door motor years ago, but it still malfunctions.

Service “calibrated” the door and it stopped flipping open and closed. Then all of a sudden the led charge light stopped working immediately after the door was “calibrated”. (I found this very strange because I unplugged the charger 5 minutes before driving to Tesla and it was pitch black outside and the charge port light worked) I was afraid that because the door was an issue and then the led failed I didn’t want to be left stranded somewhere with a charge port not functioning so I asked Tesla to replace the entire unit.
works perfect now. so unfortunately I don’t know exactly what the issue was. I kept the old parts after they swapped them with new. Upon closer inspection of the door there is no way to calibrate it. There are no adjustment screws or stops so I don’t know what Tesla means by “calibrate”. Unless they mean loosing the screws that hold the door to the car and tightening them back up. If that’s what they classify as calibration then maybe that’s what they did.
$1,000 later and I’m on the road again.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Well this is frustrating, now my MS is doing the exact same thing. Charge port door error and it won’t close while parked. It closes and then immediately pops open.
Is it possible that my HPWC could have caused the issue to both cars? Here is the reason why I ask.
I have 2 HPWC’s at home and both are gen 2. One for my X and one for my S. I very rarely charge my S at home.
A couple weeks ago I used my S charger to charge my X. As soon as I unplugged I had the error with the charge port door on my X. This has now been fixed as you can see from the posts above. Since then I haven’t used my S charger. Last night I needed to charge my S so I used the S charger and this morning when I unplugged I now have the exact same problem with my S. Charge port door error and it won’t close while parked. It keeps popping open.
I find it quite a coincidence that both vehicles had a charge port door issue/failure after using this charger.

I have the same problem. The door won't close completely. It seems like it's a low outside temperature problem as it happens only when the temperature is less than about 60-70 degrees. Open the door fully, then push it closed. You might have to do this a couple times. Service Center replaced the door motor years ago, but it still malfunctions.

If the door is not closing all the way when cooler, that sounds like an alignment problem. I had this with the my car. Mobile service came to the house and realigned the door in 30 minutes. The guy pulled a panel on the inside of the trunk and got to the mechanism to do the alignment.

I am curious to see what they say at your service visit. I am having the same issue, but also I the charge light/ring is not working now and I cannot connect the charge wand unless I double or triple click it after the port is opened as it seems to think it is already connected. I have a mobile appt set up for next Wednesday. I am also getting a "Charge port door sensor fault" message - see pic. This all started yesterday after a 25 mile drive and was headed back home.

Update on these issues.

Mobile service replaced both the charge port door and charge port (separate units). That was pretty easy and am 100% up and running and functional again. They tried to calibrate the door first, but that did not solve the issue. Another issue popped up after installation of these parts, the 12v battery would not hold a charge while disconnected from HV battery and thus could not install software update needed for the new charge port to work. The mobile tech did not have a battery charger with him, only a battery maintainer, so I opted to just have the 12v battery replaced (he had one on his truck) since I have 47k miles on original battery (2016 model). After hearing all the horror stories of batteries needed replaced, I decided to be proactive and replace, just in case.

All is fine now - YEAH!

Reactions: mongo