Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Design Studio Changes - Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is actually getting really stupid.
Your buying a expensive car, and
your not allowed to spec it like you desire:confused:
The options in the first place are pretty few to. What other company only offer five colors???
After my Titanium were taken from me and nothing new offered, I'm actually thinking of dropping it........

This is actually getting really stupid.
Your buying a expensive car, and
your not allowed to spec it like you desire:confused:
The options in the first place are pretty few to. What other company only offer five colors???
After my Titanium were taken from me and nothing new offered, I'm actually thinking of dropping it........

I too wish they had kept the titanium- such an elegant color!

A little shocked they are doing this. For the model 3 I understand it from a volume and cost standpoint. When you are buying a premium priced vehicle like the model X or the model S it is expected that you would have the ability to make such choices.

I'd prefer Tesla make money and stay in business. I also think it is a 'bonus' for people who did buy early instead of wait for some feature. If orders drop because of this change I'm sure Tesla will add other combinations.

I couldn't have said it better. With their precarious financial position, I want nothing more than Tesla's success and can live with fewer cosmetic options.

I couldn't have said it better. With their precarious financial position, I want nothing more than Tesla's success and can live with fewer cosmetic options.
Whether the fewer cosmetic options determine Tesla's success or not is debatable. It's not happening on the S (yet). Just because it's a Tesla does not mean one should expect less and less from them so they can stay in business.

If money is that tight then stop giving 75kwh batteries to people who order a 60 in hopes some of the will upgrade. I fail to see how offering less choices will make more people ante up. If I want matte obeche on my 100D or prefer a light headliner with my black textile seats to keep the interior from seeming so claustrophobic and drab on my six figure car I should have that choice even if it's an extra cost option.

If money is that tight then stop giving 75kwh batteries to people who order a 60 in hopes some of the will upgrade. I fail to see how offering less choices will make more people ante up. If I want matte obeche on my 100D or prefer a light headliner with my black textile seats to keep the interior from seeming so claustrophobic and drab on my six figure car I should have that choice even if it's an extra cost option.

It streamlines the production lines and adds efficiency, I assume.

I just realized that this change effectively makes the UW seat $800 more expensive. They come with the free Dark Ash wood, but are the same price as the leather options which are now bundled with wood trims that used to be $800 upgrades. Interesting.

It's interesting that Tesla actually recommends the white interior over the others. I wonder if it's because it's cheaper than the leather interiors, or if it ages far better. I have remained skeptical of the Ultra White seats long-term durability.

Yes I have wondered that as well. My gut says it's cheaper and I do bet it holds up better also.

It streamlines the production lines and adds efficiency, I assume.

Certainly it does but only to a minor amount since they still have quite a few options on the seats (42 I think depending on if there are any unknown differences on the 2 outboard seats on a 6 vs. 7 seaters and still offer 4 different headliners. How does the removal of 2 wood options really make a huge difference in the scheme of things and if it's so critical why are they ADDING OPTIONS to the Model S? Just a boneheaded move. Taking away the no charge white paint was odd enough given it seemed to be squarely in the middle of popularity of available colors on modelxtracker. If they wanted to streamline it would be far easier to just make the perforated seats standard on all non-textile models (without the option to turn the ventilation on for the fronts unless you buy PUP) and to make alcantara the standard headliner (there is negligible cost difference between the 2 different materials for the headliners). That would make it much more streamlined than this forced bundle that they've decided is what buyers can choose from.

Last edited:
I just realized that this change effectively makes the UW seat $800 more expensive. They come with the free Dark Ash wood, but are the same price as the leather options which are now bundled with wood trims that used to be $800 upgrades. Interesting.

Technically the ultra white has always been a bit of a rip off by comparison. They don't upgrade the door and dash to nappa leather on those if you get the PUP but still charge the same price. Too bad it's the prettiest and most striking color combo.

Maybe Tesla is trying to save us from making poor aesthetic choices (like UltraWhite with white headliner)??? Nah, I think it's to streamline production line.

Yeah it's not about poor choices. The headliner thing makes sense but killing the obeche which is arguably the most popular choice Tesla has ever offered makes no sense and that wood goes with about any interior color since you had a choice of matte which was more grey/dark or gloss which had more reddish/tan tones to my eye. Forcing a buyer of a premium product to be locked in to a narrow set of choices is not something Land Rover/BMW etc does on cars costing a fraction of what Tesla charges.

Last edited:
Another problem with the way they've redesigned the configurator - in addition to making the X less customizable - it's harder to tell what valid options can be combined.

For example, I'm almost sure you can't get the PUP with regular (multi pattern) seats, because they offer ventilated seats only with leather seating. Has that now changed? Because now I can add the PUP option without upgrading to leather seats.

If true, this would be a net benefit because it saves you $3000 compared to prior packages, but I'm not sure it's right. It does say leather armrests only come "when paired with leather seating" so maybe that's another change?

Another problem with the way they've redesigned the configurator - in addition to making the X less customizable - it's harder to tell what valid options can be combined.

For example, I'm almost sure you can't get the PUP with regular (multi pattern) seats, because they offer ventilated seats only with leather seating. Has that now changed? Because now I can add the PUP option without upgrading to leather seats.

If true, this would be a net benefit because it saves you $3000 compared to prior packages, but I'm not sure it's right. It does say leather armrests only come "when paired with leather seating" so maybe that's another change?

Actually, it has been mentioned on this forum previously that Multi-pattern with PUP has been an allowed special order item already prior to this change to the Design Studio. So, it figures that the updated Design Studio probably does present this option correctly and now allows one to make this choice online.

It is my understanding that PUP ordered with Multi-pattern equals no ventilation in front seats...